Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - For an ordinary person

For an ordinary person

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: For an ordinary person

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 12.20.2007 3:56 am

I can never remeber the 3rd K, but I believe it's
汚い きつい 危険

3K Jobs are generally dangerous factory jobs that while pay fairly well, are horribly crappy places to work, and thus generally get farmed out to foreign workers who stay for 3 years and then return to their home countries rich.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Xuande » Thu 12.20.2007 4:09 am

So they're rough jobs that pay good pretty much. I guess it doesn't sound too bad though as long as they do pay pretty good and aren't extremely dangerous.
Xuande

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 12.20.2007 5:36 am

Harisenbon wrote:
I can never remeber the 3rd K, but I believe it's
汚い きつい 危険

3K Jobs are generally dangerous factory jobs that while pay fairly well, are horribly crappy places to work, and thus generally get farmed out to foreign workers who stay for 3 years and then return to their home countries rich.

And most foreigners are ineligible for the visa to do even that. That sort of thing is usually filled by people on the Nikkeijin-ostensibly-visiting-Japanese-relatives-wink-wink visa dodge.

I've never met a Western foreigner that I didn't think would turn his nose up at the prospect of doing blue collar work for the same pay and under the same conditions as Japanese workers do it. Too used to jabbering at people over a cup of coffee for 5000+ yen per hour and deluding themselves that they're actually worth it somehow.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby spin13 » Thu 12.20.2007 8:33 am

Mike Cash wrote:
I've never met a Western foreigner that I didn't think would turn his nose up at the prospect of doing blue collar work for the same pay and under the same conditions as Japanese workers do it. Too used to jabbering at people over a cup of coffee for 5000+ yen per hour and deluding themselves that they're actually worth it somehow.

But...but...but, uh, we're different?
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 12.20.2007 10:59 am

shoot. for 5 sen and hour I would let sumo wrestlers practice their rushes and throws on me. i might even let a sword master practice his cuts too..
two_heads_talking

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 12.20.2007 8:05 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
I've never met a Western foreigner that I didn't think would turn his nose up at the prospect of doing blue collar work for the same pay and under the same conditions as Japanese workers do it.

While I've done the work in a factory from 3am stint before, it is nothing that I would ever want to go back to. I am rather happy with my cup of coffee checking my email programming job. ;) I just wish I got the 5000 yen an hour.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Kisshu » Thu 12.20.2007 8:58 pm

LOL. This is such an amusing conversation.. but I just have to jump in.

It's good to have a dream, but I assume it would be PREEETTYYY dern tuff to get a job as a manga artist in Japan. In general (and there are quite a few exceptions, mind you) I've noticed that a good percentage of Japanese people can draw manga quite well. PLus, with so many manga over there, it may be tough fining a publishing company that owuld want to hire a foreigner... but I could be wrong.... haha
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

Postby sugoiaisukurimu » Fri 12.21.2007 2:12 am

I think you need to work on looking at your manga market before you make such a financial mistake of going to live in Japan. The Japanese are buying less manga right now while internationally, manga is becoming increasingly in demand. As an artist (once an aspiring manga artist) I have to tell you, Japan is going to chew you up and spit you out if you decide to go there with that career choice. The best advice I can give you is to try and land a job with Tokyopop or another publishing company (or even self publish on your own for a while) before you get too hasty and move there.
But if you are set on moving to Japan and living there, I don't think it's really that out of the question. Get a degree and get a job there. Sure, it'll be tough. It would be a lot better if you can speak fluent Japanese, which isn't asking much (as you'll be living there. Might as well.) The thing is: Get fluent first. Get your career skills first.

Anyway, there are people that live there without knowing Japanese and are out of a job. I don't know how they do it, but it's not impossible. It's stupid, but you can pull it off.
sugoiaisukurimu

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan