Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese concerns.

Japanese concerns.

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Japanese concerns.

Postby TrashTreasurer » Wed 01.30.2008 5:45 am

I feel I need to share this not just to make guitarplayer feel better, but to let others know. I've had good discussions with him on here about music and other topics, and he's the only reason I was able to get my IME to type out in kana/kanji (don't know why I couldn't figure that out before). I just remember what it was like to be a 14 year old with a level of intellect seemingly higher than others my age, and the ability to discuss and pose questions among "older" intellectuals must seem like a godsend to him, especially as a homeschool student with not too many people to share life's queries with. The fact the he IS 14 makes his tendency to pose questions "incorrectly" rather lighthearted and makes some sense, it's obvious that some his age and in his position could use some help honing conversation skills, even virtually. Threatening him with banning seems rather severe in comparison to our friends bossu and duelley/lol890.

Sorry if I offended anyone with this post, I just thought that he took an unfair verbal gangbeating in response to his question, which was legit given iotafish's bringing up of the aging population issue and it's ramifications. Figuratively, teach his hunger for communication skills how to fish, don't throw a single fish at it in anger. Some of you did do the former and I imagine it's the right thing to do.
I want a clever signature, but I spent all my time trying to come up with a clever post!
TrashTreasurer

Postby OitaFish » Wed 01.30.2008 6:35 am

guitarplayer7694 wrote:
oitaFish thank you for answering my question.

You are welcome! It is always nice to see young people take an interest in this country :) And, FWIW, I thought your question was a good one.
OitaFish

Postby Adriano » Wed 01.30.2008 6:47 am

津波?
Adriano

Skype chat: adrianojapan2008
Native language: Portuguese

Postby guitarplayer7694 » Wed 01.30.2008 12:58 pm

What do you mean Adriano? since it is a question shouldn't there be a か and the end, just so I can know. And thank you for that trashtreasure, I kind of blushed when I read it.
Last edited by guitarplayer7694 on Wed 01.30.2008 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guitarplayer7694

Postby Adriano » Wed 01.30.2008 1:10 pm

I meant natural disasters, as taifus, jishins, tsunamis, etc..
If they´re concerned about focus the tecnology to preview these catastrophes.

guitarplayer7694 wrote:
And thank you for that trashtreasure, I kind of blushed when I read it.

なんのtrashtreasureでしょうか?o_O
Adriano

Postby guitarplayer7694 » Wed 01.30.2008 1:33 pm

OK had I known you were answering my question that would have made since. But I can't translate your other sentence. My Japanese is horrible. :(
guitarplayer7694

Postby Adriano » Wed 01.30.2008 1:46 pm

no problem dude, I can´t speak english :(
Adriano

Postby guitarplayer7694 » Wed 01.30.2008 2:01 pm

You speak english better than I speak japanese and better than some Americans I know.
guitarplayer7694

Postby SourceC0d3 » Wed 01.30.2008 3:06 pm

Thank you OitaFish for answering the question.

I've stopped going here for a while simply because of some of the responses, and the lack of respect to those who are brand new to learning about a new country/culture(no matter what your age is). I do understand the fact of trying to do research before asking the question, however the internet can be quite overwhelming for those who have such broad questions. If you are having that trouble, it would be so much easier asking someone to have them sum it up for them, especially for those that are unable to read any japanese sites that could answer it fairly easily. By just doing that, it would've made this thread a quarter the size of what it became.

Again thank you for those that gave a real answer to guitarplayer7694's question.
SourceC0d3

Postby OitaFish » Wed 01.30.2008 6:51 pm

Adriano wrote:
津波?

The threat of earthquakes (with possible resulting tsunamis) is always on peoples minds but to be honest, I don't think its something that the average person worries about too much. You cannot control whether or not there is an earthquake and Japanese have become quite used to them.

guitarplayer7694 wrote:
since it is a question shouldn't there be a か and the end

か is used in formal speech. In casual speech, question marks are more common. Since Adriano didn't use a complete sentence, it looks like he is using casual speech and so used a question mark.

In oral speech, when not using か, you should raise your tone at the end of the sentence the same as we do in English so the other person knows you are asking a question.

SourceC0d3 wrote:
I do understand the fact of trying to do research before asking the question

What better place is there to do research on Japanese culture other than a public forum titled "Culture and Info about living in Japan" where you could presumably get responses from real people living in Japan?
OitaFish

Postby I-samu » Thu 01.31.2008 8:26 pm

Old people+population shortage
People aren't making babies often enough, and there's too many old people now.
[][][][]
I-samu

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan