Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Places to visit near Kanazawa?

Places to visit near Kanazawa?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Places to visit near Kanazawa?

Postby Ace_McCloud » Wed 03.12.2008 1:12 am

Hey everyone. I'm new around here, but I figured I would just go ahead and post this.

This summer, (from mid-June to late July) I will be going to Kanazawa, Japan, on a language program for my school. I have never been to Japan before (or outside the U.S. for that matter), so as you can imagine I'm quite excited about having such an opportunity.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew some cool or interesting places to visit or see in or near Kanazawa. Anything from malls, museums, theaters, restaurants, events, or other attractions will help me figure out some things to do while there. The only place that I know to go would be the beautiful Kenroku-en. Also, if anyone has advice (although I've read just about every tip there is) for visiting specifically the Kanazawa area, please let me know!

Thanks in advance,
Ace
Ace_McCloud

Re: Places to visit near Kanazawa?

Postby chikara » Wed 03.12.2008 2:04 am

I spent a couple of days in Kanazawa this time last year. Kenrokuen is a must see although it wasn't at its best when I was there because of the time of year. Kanazawa castle is also well worth a look. It is mostly a reconstruction but gives an interesting insight into the building methods used.

The Nagamachi district near the castle is where the samurai used to live and is also worth a look. There is also a geisha district but I didn't get around to seeing it.

As far as malls go the only one I went into was the Forus one next to Kanazawa station (and opposite the hotel I stayed in). It was mostly fashion/clothes stores but also a number of places to eat.

Kenrokuen.jpg
Old tree in kenrokuen
Kenrokuen.jpg (129.24 KiB) Viewed 1284 times
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby coco » Wed 03.12.2008 2:06 am

Welcome to TJP. :)

Once Clay-san and Oracle-san were talking about a curry shop called"Hot House".
Please read this thread.( a bit old, though.)

I hope someone more familiar with kanazawa region would post replies.

edit:あ、Chikaraさんとほぼ同時で失礼しました。 :D
ログインしている状態だとChikaraさんの写真が見えますが、ログアウトすると「You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.」になるんですね。なるほど、ようやくFelixと M&Mが見えた。^^
Last edited by coco on Wed 03.12.2008 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby Ace_McCloud » Wed 03.12.2008 2:35 am

Actually, now that you mention it, a few people that had gone last year mentioned Hot House. It's definitely on the to-do list. We'll see how my food budget works out. I hope it's not too expensive.

Thanks for the replies so far! I appreciate the warm welcome. Can't wait to hear more!
Ace_McCloud

Postby chikara » Wed 03.12.2008 2:52 am

Ace_McCloud wrote:Actually, now that you mention it, a few people that had gone last year mentioned Hot House. It's definitely on the to-do list. ...

Hot House - "The real taste of India ...".

Definitely worth a trip to Japan for ;)

Ace_McCloud wrote:We'll see how my food budget works out ....

The website linked to in coco-san's post has their "take-out" menu with prices.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby coco » Wed 03.12.2008 2:55 am

chikara wrote:Hot House - "The real taste of India ...".

Definitely worth a trip to Japan for ;)

:mrgreen:
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby Oracle » Wed 03.12.2008 10:16 am

Hi Ace, are you doing a short study program at Kanazawa University by any chance?

Things to see:
Ninjadera (忍者寺) - 'Ninja Temple' - nothing to do with Ninjas but worth a look. An old building with lots of trapdoors and hidden rooms
Katamachi (片町) - where all the bars are :D
Torou Nagashi (灯篭流し) - (held on June 6th. Part of the "Hyakkumangoku Festival") A festival where they float paper lanterns down the river. Absolute must see. Everyone is out in kimono and traditional dress, drinking beers in the warm summer twilight watching hundreds of lanterns floating. I got some fantastic photos from this.
A performance at the Noh Theatre
Hot House :D

The 百万石まつり (Hyakkumangoku Festival) in mid June is the biggest cultural event of the year. Hopefully you can see it- they have a big parade and lots of other events before and after it (like the lantern festival above)

You'll probably get shown around everything in central Kanazawa as part of your programme, but a trip up the Noto penninsular is also interesting. Some nice coastal scenery and towns up there. A trip out to Mt 白山 can be nice too in good weather

This site sums up everything better than I can

:) Enjoy
Oracle

Native language: English

Postby Ace_McCloud » Wed 03.12.2008 10:59 am

Oracle wrote:Hi Ace, are you doing a short study program at Kanazawa University by any chance?

I'm actually doing a study program at Kanazawa Institute of Technology (金沢工業大学). Is there a similar program going on at Kanazawa U?
Ace_McCloud

Postby taniya » Tue 03.18.2008 2:18 am

Hello Ace

I was studying in Kanazawa for a year..Its beautiful place with lott of greenery I was staying in Kanazawa Daigaku kokusai kouryuu Kaikan...Its very traditional old city...As you have mentioned before Kenrokuen, Kanazawa Castle, Korinbo are good places to visit..Then near to Kanazawa there is a place called "notou hantou" it very beutiful with the nice seashore...

Enjoy your stay in Kanazawa!

Taniya
taniya

Postby chikara » Tue 03.18.2008 2:47 am

Oracle wrote:.... a trip up the Noto penninsular is also interesting. Some nice coastal scenery and towns up there. ....

taniya wrote:... near to Kanazawa there is a place called "notou hantou" it very beutiful with the nice seashore...

Noto penninsular = noto hantou 能登半島 (のとはんとう) :)
chikara

Postby Oracle » Tue 03.18.2008 2:59 am

taniya wrote:Hello Ace

I was studying in Kanazawa for a year..Its beautiful place with lott of greenery I was staying in Kanazawa Daigaku kokusai kouryuu Kaikan...

Me too! Were you as surprised as I was at how small the rooms were compared to photos in the brochure? :D
Oracle

Native language: English

Postby clay » Tue 03.18.2008 8:01 am

Once Clay-san and Oracle-san were talking about a curry shop called"Hot House".

Mmmmm Hot House なつかしい--Their Navratan curry with naan makes a 14 hour plane trip seem to be but seconds. :P
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby Konstantin » Wed 03.26.2008 8:42 am

Takayama is one of the cool places to visit near Kanazawa. Take a train/bus there and taste the famous Takayama beef. :D
Konstantin

Postby chikara » Wed 03.26.2008 9:09 pm

Konstantin wrote:Takayama is one of the cool places to visit near Kanazawa. Take a train/bus there and taste the famous Takayama beef. :D

I went from Takayama to Kanazawa by train (bus where the train line was closed because of rock falls :shock: ) via Toyama and it took over 4 hours. If you are going to be in Kanazawa for about six weeks (from mid-June to late July) it would be well worth a weekend trip.

I think you'll find that the famous beef is called "Hida Beef" (飛騨牛) :)

The beef was very tasty as was the hand made soba noodles we had in the "old town".
chikara

Postby Ace_McCloud » Wed 04.02.2008 10:14 pm

Once again, thank you everyone for the replies!

As it turns out, due to new information (or perhaps my trouble with dates) check-in is on June 4. Hopefully they will take us around the city for a few days to see all the festivities going on. I can't wait!
Ace_McCloud

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan