Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Preparing for Earthquakes

Preparing for Earthquakes

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Preparing for Earthquakes

Postby coco » Sun 06.15.2008 9:49 pm

As far as you live in Japan, earthquakes are unavoidable.
Are you preparing something for a big earthquakes?

Me?
1) Put an emergency pack(knapsack) and one pair of sandals in a bedroom.
2) Always fill water on bathtub ( to use for toilet).
3) Carry a small flashlight when I use subways.
4) Check the route to the refuges (The nearest refuge needs a 15minutes-walk, but it is beside dangerous zone. So I'll go to a refuge located 25 minutes-walk from my house).

Related topic: Earthquakes

Information pages:
Earthquake Early Warning
緊急地震速報のしくみと心得 (10 minutes video in Japanese)
Disaster Emergency Message Dial 171
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Re: Preparing for Earthquakes

Postby ss » Mon 06.16.2008 7:00 pm

Most of us in Lion City are more blessed than we realize. Despite that she is just a small island with no natural resources, she is surviving well without natural destructive calamities.

I had a real encounter of slight earthquake shock once in Taipei many years back. While I was munching my cookies and watching TV with my schoolmates in the room, I could feel the slight tremor sweeping across the place I was sitting, felt really giddy ...... and then eventually realized it was an earthquake! The terrible thing was, the brain was shouting out loud for running, but the legs just stood stiff like a deep rooted tree. I thanked God it was not a serious attack, but for us, that was the most frightening experience ever.

Sometimes, it is important to know the precautions to take when peacetime emergencies strike, but it is far too important to remain calm when dealing with such entire unpredictable situation. (Said is easier than done, I can't imagine ....)
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby tōkai devotee » Tue 06.17.2008 2:41 am

I always was amazed at the seriousness with which the Japanese took part in "Earthquake awaredness" activities. But then I discovered that it was/ is a serious matter. I was in Osaka just 2 days before the big earthquake 13 years ago and felt a slight tremour when on the 30something'th floor of a building. The building was swaying from side to side. Really scary!! I was so fortunate that I was safe at home on the day the quake hit.
Where I lived in Japan there were many small tremours, but coming from a country where we never, well, rarely, have earthquakes (Australia), even those at 2-3 on the Richter scale are very scary. If I was at home, I'd always race to the kitchen, turn off the gas and be in a real panic. But it would usually be over before I realised it.
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby chikara » Tue 06.17.2008 3:01 am

tokai devotee wrote:....... coming from a country where we never, well, rarely, have earthquakes (Australia), even those at 2-3 on the Richter scale are very scary. ......

Certainly nothing like the earthquakes that hit Japan but we've had a 5.5 here in Adelaide (1954) and in 1989 a 5.6 earthquake killed 13 people in Newcastle NSW. I was woken one night by a smallish one that sounded like a very noisy truck coming up the street.

There are some advantages to living in the middle of a large tectonic plate even if it means we are the flattest of all the continents.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby tōkai devotee » Tue 06.17.2008 4:08 am

chikara wrote:Certainly nothing like the earthquakes that hit Japan but we've had a 5.5 here in Adelaide (1954) and in 1989 a 5.6 earthquake killed 13 people in Newcastle NSW.

There are some advantages to living in the middle of a large tectonic plate even if it means we are the flattest of all the continents.

I don't remember the 1954 earthquake. Way before my time! And my mother slept through it, even though she lived right on the fault line.

I'd have to agree with you . There are certainly many advantages living down under :wink:
tōkai devotee

Postby coco » Tue 06.17.2008 9:51 am

tokai devotee wrote:But then I discovered that it was/ is a serious matter. I was in Osaka just 2 days before the big earthquake 13 years ago and felt a slight tremour when on the 30something'th floor of a building. The building was swaying from side to side. Really scary!! I was so fortunate that I was safe at home on the day the quake hit.

2日前ですか。 :shock:
無事愛知に戻られて何よりでした。
私が聞いた悲惨な話は、阪神大震災で被災し東京の親戚の家に避難していた人が、その年の3月、地下鉄サリン事件の被害者になってしまったというものでした。

東海地震の発生確率は高いと言われていますので、
今度愛知にいらっしゃる際は、どこに泊まっても避難経路の確認をなさるといいと思います。
coco

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 06.17.2008 11:42 am

I have many friends in the Sendai/Iwate area. I was completely shocked when I heard about the recent earthquake.

I haven't heard if there have been aftershocks, have there been any?
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby coco » Tue 06.17.2008 9:04 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:I have many friends in the Sendai/Iwate area. I was completely shocked when I heard about the recent earthquake.

The official announced the probability of large aftershocks that will happen within 3 days (18th-20th).
The M6 level (or larger) aftershock is 10%.
The M5 level aftershock is 60%.
The probability applies after 11:00am 18th(JST, after 1 hour.), it became smaller. :)

So far, aftershocks have been not very serious, of course they did frighten people in there, though.
coco

Postby tōkai devotee » Tue 06.17.2008 9:14 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:I have many friends in the Sendai/Iwate area. I was completely shocked when I heard about the recent earthquake.

There have actually been many aftershocks, around 470 according to this morning's news, and some of the aftershocks have been quite powerful (but probably not enough to make it onto the news in Australia or America) and along with rain in the area are not helping rescue attempts. Another body has been found, taking the death toll to 10. There are still many people missing.
two_headsさん, I hope your friends are ok. Have you tried calling or emailing them?

coco wrote:

東海地震の発生確率は高いと言われていますので、
今度愛知にいらっしゃる際は、どこに泊まっても避難経路の確認をなさるといいと思います。

cocoさん、注意情をありがとうございます。(注意情と言いますか。聞いた事ありますが、辞書に見つかりませんでした。)東海地震って怖いですね。日本でどこでも、いつでも地震が起こるでしょう。火山もありますね。富士山は休火山と言われても、いつでも活火山になれますね。高校時代にテレビニュースでは富士山はもうすぐ噴火すると話がありました。皆数年日本に行きたくなくなりましたが、まだ噴火しませんでした。怖い国ですけれども、ずっと住みたい人がいます。 :wink:
tōkai devotee

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 06.18.2008 12:19 pm

tokai devotee wrote:

There have actually been many aftershocks, around 470 according to this morning's news, and some of the aftershocks have been quite powerful (but probably not enough to make it onto the news in Australia or America) and along with rain in the area are not helping rescue attempts. Another body has been found, taking the death toll to 10. There are still many people missing.
two_headsさん, I hope your friends are ok. Have you tried calling or emailing them?

I have misplaced many of the phone numbers and hadn't actually contacted them save sending a snail mail every year or so around Christmas to say hi and let everyone know what I was doing. Maybe this might be a good time to get those "immediate" contact information from my friends.

I still have lots of friend outside the Sendai area, but having spent time in Iwanuma, and the whole of Sendai I do have alot of friends there as well. thanks for the concern, and hopefully all is well with them.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan