Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Cold Soumen.. 索麺

Cold Soumen.. 索麺

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Cold Soumen.. 索麺

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 07.23.2008 1:21 pm

I recently found a store that sell the noodles for Cold Soumen. However, for the life of me, I can't remember the name of the sauce that it is typically dipped in.

I have tried a few different Korean and Chinese style sauces, but they just don't cut the mustard..

Can any of you noodle lovers help me out? If possible, include the kanji as well, so I can find that daggone product on the shelf.

Thank you very much.
Last edited by two_heads_talking on Wed 07.23.2008 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Re: Cold Somen..

Postby fielle » Wed 07.23.2008 2:42 pm

tsuyu?

This page has a list and description of multiple different sauces, but I think you're looking for a つゆ.
fielle

Re: Cold Somen..

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 07.23.2008 3:10 pm

fielle wrote:tsuyu?

This page has a list and description of multiple different sauces, but I think you're looking for a つゆ.

I was thinking it was called mentsuyu. soumen no men and tsuyu.. so that might be right..

using your link I found this.. http://www.justhungry.com/basics-kaeshi-soba-and-udon-noodle-soup-or-sauce-base. I think that's the ticket.. Thank you very much
two_heads_talking

Re: Cold Soumen.. 索麺

Postby fielle » Wed 07.23.2008 5:17 pm

I've actually made that recipe and it turned out well, although I did cut down all of the ingredients as much as possible--the recipe as written makes a lot. Actually, all the recipes I've tried from that site are more or less delicious. Mmmfood. Even better when it doesn't have mysterious preservatives and MSG.

Though MSG does make things tasty.
fielle

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 07.24.2008 10:10 am

Yep, I wrote it down and will be headed to the "global food market" to see what I can find. I just wish I could find those large bottles of kommatsu shouyu. I hate buying those little restaurant bottles. They are too pricey and you don't get much for what you pay.

Thanks for the link fielle. It has been a great help. I love to cook Japanese food. Unfortunately, my time in Japan did not allow me much time to research all the sauces and because of that, I am a bit delinquent when it comes to making some dishes.

Two dishes I would love to know how to make would be; Katsudon and a type of stew, unfortunately the name escapes me. it has potatoes, bamboo, some different squares of gelled fish (I don't know if it's a fish product or if the gel is some sort of fish jelly) and it has those pink and white circles (some sort of pressed fish I think) I had it once on the shore of the Sakata beachline and one on the shore of the Tsuruoka beachline back in 1988. I think it was a dish served around the summer months just about the time of Obon.
two_heads_talking

Postby fielle » Thu 07.24.2008 11:29 am

The pink and white stuff is called "kamaboko" (かまぼこ), and although I'm not sure what the stew is called, but you might want to look into dishes called "Nabe," which are a type of stew-ish dish. I'm not entirely sure how to make Katsudon, myself, but I do agree as to it's deliciousness--I think it also has it's own kind of special sauce. It's probably something along the lines of . . . coat pork cutlet in egg and panko (the type of breadcrumbs), deep fry; saute onions, add sauce (looks like it's mostly the same as the dipping sauce for the noodles), saute a little more, put on top of rice with some egg.

As for the big bottle of soy sauce, I'm not sure where you live, but many cities have some variety of Asian Market or Asian specialty store, and those are usually good places to find all varieties of soy sauce and the like. Where I live, it's impossible to get real Mirin (due to the Pennsylvania liquor control board), but the cooking-sherry equivalent (salted up so as to be undrinkable) works fine for me in most situations.
fielle

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 07.24.2008 1:25 pm

Global Food Market is the Asian/Hispanic market in my local area. 7-10 mins from my house. The last time I checked, they only had the small glass restaurant style soy sauce.

I know the ingredients for katsudon, just not the complete preparation. I will check out a few online sites and see what I can find.

I think the stew was a stew prepared for what was called an imonikai. I might have word completely misremembered as it's been nearly 20 years and try as I might, I can't find any comment on it in my journals. I guess I didn't think it would be important enough for me 20 years later.. lol, just goes to show, one should put even the "little things" in their journal.

AGain, thanks for your comments.
two_heads_talking

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan