Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Tokushima

Tokushima

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Tokushima

Postby synastry » Thu 08.14.2008 10:16 pm

Hello, everyone. I've been lurking around these boards for some time now. So many informative post! However, I haven't been able to find any information on Tokushima here. I've, of course, searched the forums here and have done tons of googling. The only thing I can find on this city is information for tourist. Which has been quite helpful, even though it's information limited to people only wishing to stay a few days at most.

My situation is a little different. I am working towards the opportunity to study abroad. I'll attend the University of Tokushima for a year. I am hoping that at least one of you has some experience I can use. Such as, should I apply for a homestay (live-in with a family) program or just use a dorm? What things should I expect to encounter for staying such a long period of time? You know, those things you just don't find out until you're there. This is no Tokyo, with a population of around 270k, what kind of entertainment can I expect to find (I don't mean yearly events but more-so weekend activities)? One of my biggest worries is an internet connection. As I do majority of my studying with the internet (not to mention it would be nice to be in regular contact with my folks back home).

I realize you more then likely wont be able to answer my questions regarding Tokushima directly, but I would more then appreciate any feed back you can offer. I have a million and one questions to ask but I wont push it. Thanks in advance for any help and thank you for taking the time to read. =)
synastry

Re: Tokushima

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 08.14.2008 10:43 pm

While I don't think that many people can give you any direct information regarding Tokushima (btw, where in Tokushima will you be?) there are numerous posts and threads about homestays and study abroads on this site.

Try searching for "homestay" "study abroad" or similar phrases to hear everyone's opinions on study abroads in Japan.

EDIT: Actually, I take that back, for some reason I'm not able to search very well on this site. Even though I *know* there have been multiple threads like this, none are coming up. Perhaps someone with better search-fu can give you some good links.

I personally would recommend doing the homestay, as you'll get a much more in-depth and "Japanese" experience than you can get in a dormatory, I think.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby chikara » Thu 08.14.2008 10:48 pm

synastry wrote:... I haven't been able to find any information on Tokushima here. .....

Probably because this is a Japanese language learning forum not a tourism or travel forum ;)

Have you checked out the Tokushima City website?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby synastry » Fri 08.15.2008 12:19 am

I searched the same way, Harisenbon, and got no results back either. I went back a few pages too, saw nothing in regards of my questions. =(

I understand that this site isn't exactly what I am searching for. I come here for the Japanese lessons. Which, by the way, are awesome for me. I'm having a great deal of fun learning. I just noticed on this particular board that so many people have real life experience visiting and living in Japan for various reasons. I thought I might tap in on the more wise.

I was pressing my luck in hopes that someone may have visited there once or twice and could let me in on some of the activities or personal experiences. Either way I will keep on digging, I'm sure to find some answers buried some where. Thanks again, you two.

Oh, and yeah, I have checked their City page out. Was interesting but nothing that would help me too much.

Edit: I'll be in the capital city of Tokushima, also called Tokushima.
I found this site: http://www.communitywalk.com/map/5540 (if any of you are interested). It's a map that people have marked points of interest on. Rather helpful. :D
synastry

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan