Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Buying used bikes

Buying used bikes

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Buying used bikes

Postby rickyruffle » Mon 09.08.2008 10:08 am

I'll be living in Osaka for 9 months, going to school in Kobe so I think it would be a good idea to get a bike for when I'm not taking the train. There are soooooo many old bikes but I can't find a place that sells them. I've heard you can buy them used so I walked down the main roads, through the arcades and a few back alleys. But with no luck. Any suggestions? I'm looking for something like... 5,000-6,000 yen and under.
rickyruffle

Re: Buying used bikes

Postby becki_kanou » Mon 09.08.2008 11:29 am

You could try a recycle shop, they sell just about everything used. You could also check the Kansai Flea-market; they have listings for 'sayonara sales' which may contain bicyles. Or for not much more (about 8,000-9,000) you could buy a new bike.

Also, welcome to the Kansai!
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby weirdo36 » Thu 09.11.2008 8:12 am

hum did you looked at youre school yet? Maybe there are some people selling them? I myself have not bought a bike here yet as there is a second hand bike shop nearby where I can get a decent bike for like 10.000 yen and people in my school are selling them for around 5.000 when they go back to there home country again. Anyway I suppose that once youre there you should ask one of youre senpai's where they got there bike from as I suppose it's not only my language school that has students also leaving again who try to sell there stuff.
weirdo36

Postby chikara » Thu 09.11.2008 10:54 pm

becki_kanou wrote:You could try a recycle shop .....

LOL :lol:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 09.11.2008 11:13 pm

chikara wrote:

I don't get what's funny.... :(
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby becki_kanou » Thu 09.11.2008 11:16 pm

Harisenbon wrote:
chikara wrote:

I don't get what's funny.... :(

Me either... Wanna let us in on the joke?
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby chikara » Fri 09.12.2008 12:33 am

"bike" comes from "bicycle". Where else would you buy a second hand bicycle but at a recycle shop.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 09.12.2008 12:34 am

chikara wrote:"bike" comes from "bicycle". Where else would you buy a second hand bicycle but at a recycle shop.

*groan* :mrgreen:
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby becki_kanou » Fri 09.12.2008 2:04 am

chikara wrote:"bike" comes from "bicycle". Where else would you buy a second hand bicycle but at a recycle shop.

Re-cycle, eh? :roll: That's so bad it's almost physically painful. Nicely done! :mrgreen:
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 09.12.2008 12:05 pm

If bike comes from bicycle (and we know it does), doesn't that mean you would get a reke from a recycle shop? And no one wants a reke do they? :mrgreen:

Here's another odd one.. If bicycle becomes bike, and tricycle become trike, then why would motorcyle become motorbike? Shouldn't it become mike?

(edit for grammar purposes)
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby thesettingsun » Fri 09.12.2008 10:17 pm

Back to the main topic...

You have to be a little bit careful when buying a second-hand bike. Obviously this is a fairly rare occurrence, but someone I know borrowed a bike from the school she worked for, and a few weeks later she was arrested for being in possession of a stolen bike. Apparently the school received the bike from the city council, and they hadn't bothered to check whether or not it was registered to anyone.
thesettingsun

Postby chiisu321 » Fri 12.12.2008 7:28 am

At least where i live, there are plenty of bike shops near the station with reasonable prices. After i bought my new bike and saw how much a used bike was.......i felt a little cheated. :lol:

But, how long are you planning on using the bike? You might want to invest in a new one if you'll be here for a lot longer or a rental if you only have a short time left. (i wouldn't know, but i hear that many people rent bikes during long term travel) They come with auto lights for night time, attached bell, attached basket, all that jazz. My bike was rather expensive (my mom wanted me to have a nice one =/) but the cheaper ones at your average Apita were around 20000-30000yen

I don't know what a recycle shop is exactly, but I've seen plenty of used bike shops.
chiisu321

Postby becki_kanou » Fri 12.12.2008 9:15 am

Chiisu-
You might want to check the dates on the posts. This guy posted once in September and never came back. So he's probably not around to reply to you.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan