Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Postby kyo_sora_forever » Mon 09.29.2008 10:19 am

I went to Japan as and exchange student this summer and I used Japanese tap

water to brush my teeth

right? ( they told us the water is safe just dont drink too much at once the first

couple of days ) My breath was so bad that they

literally had to open the windows when I talked! It was so bad at one point I was

in class and I smelled a disgusting vomity smell ( super strong! stare ) I closed my

mouth and realized it was my breath. I was stationed in a

small hick town called Kasugai in Aichi prefecture where everybody new everyone

and pretty soon the whole town

hated me! I thought it was because of the japanese TOOTHPASTE so I would

brush my teeth for 20 minutes per day to no avail . My host family were assholes

about it and even told me to go live by myself and to go die! They didnt even say

goodbye when I left! The kids at school were awful. I am so depressed what do I

do? ( I am back in america now) I had no idea that tap water could do THAT it

looked and smelled clean . I really love Japan and now I am deppressed all the time

I had no idea that tap water could do THAT it looked and smelled clean .

Plus the host family mistreated me so I have emotional scars because of that
kyo_sora_forever

Re: PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Postby richvh » Mon 09.29.2008 10:32 am

What do you expect us to do about it? Since you're not there anymore, it's not like there's any advice we could give you to overcome the problem. (And "please help" isn't really an informative thread title.)
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby kyo_sora_forever » Mon 09.29.2008 10:39 am

richvh wrote:What do you expect us to do about it? Since you're not there anymore, it's not like there's any advice we could give you to overcome the problem. (And "please help" isn't really an informative thread title.)

thanks for being so ......considerate
kyo_sora_forever

Postby kyo_sora_forever » Mon 09.29.2008 10:58 am

any one offer any REAL advice on the issue
kyo_sora_forever

Postby kyo_sora_forever » Mon 09.29.2008 10:59 am

Hpw should I feel about Japan and Japanese people?
kyo_sora_forever

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 09.29.2008 11:02 am

kyo_sora_forever wrote:
richvh wrote:What do you expect us to do about it? Since you're not there anymore, it's not like there's any advice we could give you to overcome the problem. (And "please help" isn't really an informative thread title.)

thanks for being so ......considerate

ummm.. What did you expect? it's not like you have posted anything up until this post..

I can tell you one thing. It wasn't the water, nor was it the toothpaste. Perhaps you have a throat infection or some other form of virus.. Did you have it checked out by a doctor? It could very well have been your body reacting to something you had not eaten before. Don't be so quick to blame everyone else. Depression is a choice, not a reaction.

Is the problem recurring while you are back in the US?
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby kyo_sora_forever » Mon 09.29.2008 11:10 am

No Ive never had a problem like this before in my life! Once I came back to America I used the

toothpaste I used in Japan and I was totally fine! In Japan my breath was so bad that I baegan flossing,

using a tongue scraper till my tongue bled and using listerine for 5 minutes a day after every meal.

I even saw a dentist in Japan and he said my mouth was perfect! and that he didnt smell anything.

However all the kids in school DID smell something and avoided me like the plague!
kyo_sora_forever

Postby kyo_sora_forever » Mon 09.29.2008 11:11 am

It just sucks because I really loved Japan :(
kyo_sora_forever

Postby richvh » Mon 09.29.2008 11:23 am

If a dentist couldn't help you, what makes you think a bunch of strangers on the other side of an internet connection could? Really, this is sort of stuff is off topic here, even in the off-topic section. Put it in your blog instead, if you need to vent and are just seeking sympathy. (You can make blogs off the front page.)

If you were still in Japan, I'd suggest using bottled water to brush with and see if it helped.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby kyo_sora_forever » Mon 09.29.2008 11:24 am

sheesh ...nice attitude
kyo_sora_forever

Postby becki_kanou » Mon 09.29.2008 11:30 am

Ask your dentist about tonsilliths or cryptic tonsils. They can cause really intense (and short-lived) bad breath.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby kyo_sora_forever » Mon 09.29.2008 11:36 am

becki_kanou wrote:Ask your dentist about tonsilliths or cryptic tonsils. They can cause really intense (and short-lived) bad breath.

thank you :D but unfortunately I didnt have this problem :( I was allergic to the water in Japan. It

sucks because I went to a festival and some girls from school started screaming and running from me :(
kyo_sora_forever

Postby kyo_sora_forever » Mon 09.29.2008 11:38 am

my advice is to not trust foriegn tap water and always use bottled when living abroad
kyo_sora_forever

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 09.29.2008 11:40 am

It might not have been your breath that your friends were referring to.. Depending on your diet, your body omits odors that are unique..

The spices you eat, the meats, dairy etc, all have unique distinct odors. Ever met someone that drinks vodka and milk? they smell like a sour towel and B.O. Perhaps in your case, it was just your body adjusting to the new foods..

And as for what you should think, it's a personal thing. We can't tell you how to think and you shouldn't ask us how you should think. Perhaps your young age is the issue here and you can't handle things as well as someone more mature. Perhaps, you shouldn't worry about any of it..

I was allergic to the water in Japan
so, you shouldn't be blaming the Japanese for their behavior. You now know that in the future bottled water is your only choice.. move on and enjoy..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby kyo_sora_forever » Mon 09.29.2008 11:49 am

two_heads_talking wrote:It might not have been your breath that your friends were referring to.. Depending on your diet, your body omits odors that are unique..

The spices you eat, the meats, dairy etc, all have unique distinct odors. Ever met someone that drinks vodka and milk? they smell like a sour towel and B.O. Perhaps in your case, it was just your body adjusting to the new foods..

And as for what you should think, it's a personal thing. We can't tell you how to think and you shouldn't ask us how you should think. Perhaps your young age is the issue here and you can't handle things as well as someone more mature. Perhaps, you shouldn't worry about any of it..

I was allergic to the water in Japan
so, you shouldn't be blaming the Japanese for their behavior. You now know that in the future bottled water is your only choice.. move on and enjoy..

thank you :D
kyo_sora_forever

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan