Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Did japan really lose the war

Did japan really lose the war

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Did japan really lose the war

Postby craztad » Tue 10.07.2008 9:46 pm

I have come across this question many times in debates with some of my japanese friends. Yes it is obvious that japan lost the physical war but i believe they were only momentarily set back. I mean if you look at japan now, they are definitely winning the war, not in a physical manner but in an economical one. It seems as though most attempts america makes at building up american companies in japan fail. Although japanese companies have found a way to thrive in the american market in such a way that they put similar american companies out of business. LCD screens are a very good example of what japan can do when they want it from america. LCD screens were originally of american creation but somehow japanese companies got a hold of the technology tested it on their own people until they got the bugs worked out then started to sell them in america for lower prices than the american companies could afford to sell for. Sooner or later the american companies died off or japanese companies bought them out. It seems almost anything the japanese really want to take control of in the america technology wise they can except for fast moving technologies like computer processors.

Am i the only one who sees this as japan actually winning the war in the end because america has laws set in a way that japan can use to gain great wealth from?
craztad

Re: Did japan really lose the war

Postby weirdo36 » Tue 10.07.2008 10:20 pm

Say, this is just my oppinion but I think there are certain things you should not talk about so lightly and I think war is one of those topics. If you want to discuss politics and economics don't relate it to a bloody war that happend a long time ago as bringing that into subject will only distract from the discussion about economics and politics. Also my 50 cent about the economic state of Japan after the war I think the entire helping the "losers / agressors" of the war was one of the best ideas of mankind so far and in my oppionion the biggest attribute of the USA to the rest of the world as it really ended a cycle of hatred.
weirdo36

Postby pippa » Wed 10.08.2008 12:47 am

Is a war really something one side can win or lose? If it is, then Japan undoubtedly lost the war (as you said). How exactly do you define this 'non-physical' war that you're saying Japan ultimately won?

I personally think you're asking the wrong question. If you're asking whether Japan ultimately gained from the end of World War Two and the SCAP administration, then that's a different question altogether (and a less contentious one at that, in my opinion). Have you read anything by John Dower?
pippa

Postby Wakannai » Wed 10.08.2008 2:17 am

Yes it is obvious that japan lost the physical war but i believe they were only momentarily set back. I mean if you look at japan now, they are definitely winning the war, not in a physical manner but in an economical one.

You are letting specious arguments confuse you.

The political entity that was Japan then no longer exists. In the Japan of today, both the Government and the people are totally different. Probably the most marked difference is that the Japanese people today are CITIZENS then they were SUBJECTS.

Besides, what people call Economic War is usually anything but. Japan's Economy is HIGHLY dependent on the US. This goes for ANY country with a deep interest in America. Really, the more US companies foreign countries have invested in, the more DEPENDENT they become on America. People keep on thinking of economics in terms of Mercantilism but the truth is the world economic system is interdependent.

There is no economic war between Japan and the US. Not in the sense that people try to make it. If there were, then winning the war would hurt the winner just as badly as the loser.

Although japanese companies have found a way to thrive in the american market in such a way that they put similar american companies out of business. LCD screens are a very good example of what japan can do when they want it from america.

If our economy does poorly then people don't go buy LCD screens. Then Japan's economy suffers. There is no economic war between our countries, just the standard commercial wars between the involved companies.
Wakannai

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 10.08.2008 8:23 am

Look at pictures of Japan immediately following the war; i.e. the bombed-out ruins of Tokyo, and then try to say they didn't lose the war.

Also, you can't talk about politics on this board. Please read the rules.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Dehitay » Wed 10.08.2008 8:44 am

craztad wrote:Am i the only one who sees this as japan actually winning the war in the end because america has laws set in a way that japan can use to gain great wealth from?

I hope so. The competition between US and Japanese companies has nothing to do with the last world war. The US and the UK were allies in that war, but we still compete on commercial levels as well.

pippa wrote:Is a war really something one side can win or lose?

Yes!! I hate this particular question
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 10.08.2008 8:45 am

time to lock it up.. since everyone wants to comment. :P
two_heads_talking

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan