Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Fake users on Mixi?

Fake users on Mixi?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Fake users on Mixi?

Postby seiun85 » Wed 10.29.2008 8:43 am

Hi everyone,

I recently started using mixi, and shortly after joining I started receiving messages. I was wondering if they have a "fake user" problem on mixi like they do on other social networking sites like Myspace and Bebo (I haven't experienced this elsewhere yet).

I don't know how to explain what I mean, so I'll give an example. I received a message, then managed to read it and also compose a reply (which I thought was good practise). In their response to that, they give their mobile email. Now, I sent a mobile email to one of those users... but now I'm hesitant. A few of the users who sent me a message(s), seem to have disappeared off mixi as if deleted by admins. The person I sent an email to is still on mixi, but I'm conserned about what these peoples intentions are.

If you have experience using mixi, do you have any advise/warnings you could inform me of? My Japanese is basic-intermediate so it's difficult for me to notice what's legitimate and what's not... But if possible, I'd still like to use the site.

Thanks!
seiun85

Re: Fake users on Mixi?

Postby richvh » Wed 10.29.2008 8:59 am

I haven't had much of a problem with spam on Mixi, but if you're trying to use it for language learning, lang-8 is probably better.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby keatonatron » Fri 11.07.2008 12:31 pm

Yes, it is a pretty big problem. I get anywhere from 0-4 messages from fake accounts every month. Most of them are people claiming to be young, recently-available women looking for a new boy toy. Of course it's impossible for any of them to know anything about me, but they all claim interest... that is, if I sign up at the shady dating site they like to use (which most likely costs money).

Mixi is always deleting these accounts, but that doesn't effect the messages once they are in your inbox. Most of the time the account is already gone by the time I see the message and there's only a blank space in the parentheses where the user name usually is.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 11.07.2008 11:09 pm

Welcome back Keatonatron!

I don't get any lascivious messages in mixi.
I feel so left out. :cry:
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby keatonatron » Sat 11.08.2008 12:35 am

My profile (accurately) states that I'm 25 and living in Nakano, which probably attracts a lot of attention (especially because you can search by age and location). The messages I get are from "girls" who live nearby and are close to the same age, to make it all the more tempting I assume.

I guess there aren't many fake users living in Gifu looking for a married man.
keatonatron

Postby Mukade » Mon 11.17.2008 10:34 am

Harisenbon said:
I don't get any lascivious messages in mixi.
I feel so left out.

Really? That's all I get on Mixi. But then, maybe it's because I respond to all of them.... :cry:

Keatonatron said:
My profile (accurately) states that I'm 25 and living in Nakano

Dude, you're old... 8)

This sort of thing is not that unusual in Japan. I had my most recent cell phone for all of a day before I started getting 3-5 emails a day advertising female companionship.

Not that I'm unhappy to get such emails.... :roll:
意味がなくてもええねん!
Mukade

Postby keatonatron » Tue 11.18.2008 4:23 am

Mukade wrote:
Keatonatron said:

Dude, you're old... 8)

How old are you, jerk? :lol:
keatonatron

Postby Mukade » Tue 11.18.2008 8:06 am

keatonatron wrote:
Mukade wrote:
Keatonatron said:

Dude, you're old... 8)

How old are you, jerk? :lol:

Actually, 11 years older than you. So, if you're old, what does that make me? :cry:

But, now that I think about it - I remember seeing a picture you posted ages ago of you posing for a - what was it, Capcom? - ad. You seemed a lot younger in that picture. :)

Getting back to Mixi, however - I think the reason you haven't been getting any lurid emails is that you have accurately portrayed yourself in your profile. You need to check that single box, man. I mean, if you can't invent a more intelligent, beautiful and capable persona for yourself (and have other people believe it), then what is the internet for?
意味がなくてもええねん!
Mukade

Postby keatonatron » Tue 11.18.2008 10:30 am

Mukade wrote:But, now that I think about it - I remember seeing a picture you posted ages ago of you... You seemed a lot younger in that picture.

Exactly, you saw a picture *ages* ago in which I looked young. I was young, and now I am *ages* older :D
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 11.18.2008 11:52 am

keatonatron wrote:
Mukade wrote:But, now that I think about it - I remember seeing a picture you posted ages ago of you... You seemed a lot younger in that picture.

Exactly, you saw a picture *ages* ago in which I looked young. I was young, and now I am *ages* older :D

Yeah, keat is now older than the hills.. Give him a few years and he will be older than dirt. and finally in 15 years or so, he will be ancient like the rest of us.. Of course, at that point, we will be archaic and so forth. The thing is, I think I've seen 3 or 4 keat pictures and all of them put him in his 20's, and last I checked 20 wasn't old.. I think you have to be past 35 to be considered old to the younger generations.. I think it's 50 or 60 to be considered old "generally speaking" of course.
two_heads_talking

Postby richvh » Tue 11.18.2008 12:07 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:Yeah, keat is now older than the hills.. Give him a few years and he will be older than dirt. and finally in 15 years or so, he will be ancient like the rest of us.. Of course, at that point, we will be archaic and so forth. The thing is, I think I've seen 3 or 4 keat pictures and all of them put him in his 20's, and last I checked 20 wasn't old.. I think you have to be past 35 to be considered old to the younger generations.. I think it's 50 or 60 to be considered old "generally speaking" of course.

You sure know how to make a guy's day, you know?
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 11.18.2008 1:15 pm

richvh wrote:You sure know how to make a guy's day, you know?

I'd have thought those older than 40 wouldn't care how old they were.. I know I don't, and I don't consider myself old either.. Perhaps it's a matter of perspective? :wink:
two_heads_talking

Postby hyperconjugated » Tue 11.18.2008 3:50 pm

Wow, Mukade and Keat back at TJP after a while and almost simultaneously. Welcome back.
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan