Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Study Abroad Options?

Study Abroad Options?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Study Abroad Options?

Postby Flik » Wed 03.25.2009 1:25 pm

I've recently decided to try studying abroad, but it's all new to me and I'm trying to be cautious. Today, I corresponded with a college that has a study abroad program. With tuition, room & board and misc expenses, the estimated cost for one semester is around $15,000(USD). The Japanese campus is essentially a community college with all its courses taught in English.

Since I already went to community college after high school, I don't really need the credits. The main reason I'm considering it is to experience what it's like to live in Japan and (hopefully) make some foreign friends and interact. That's why I'm not going as a mere tourist; I want to form some friendships and do things with others instead of being an isolated visitor.

From what I've been reading online, I get the impression that I may be able to attend a straight-forward language school for much cheaper. Does the first option sound to expensive to you? Would a language school provide the cultural emersion that I'm looking for? If so, what are some reputable ones? I would be glad to read any insights you may have on this.
Flik

Native language: English

Re: Study Abroad Options?

Postby chikara » Wed 03.25.2009 7:56 pm

Study Abroad Options?

Study abroad or study in Japan specifically?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Flik » Wed 03.25.2009 8:12 pm

Japan specifically.
Flik

Postby jung_ah » Tue 04.14.2009 3:18 am

I'm sorry, I don't have an answer to your question, but I have also been searching for a college/university that offers study programs for international students (in English).
I've done a little research, but I cannot find anything with requirements that make me eligible.

I'm a high school Junior. Although it may be a bit too late now, I was looking for a school that offers study programs in English for medicine/biochemistry/organic chemistry or Japanese language. I wanted to do an overseas study, and Japan is really an interest of mine, so I thought to look there first.
If anyone could find anything, I would be very appreciative. よろしくお願いします。
jung_ah

Postby Disco » Thu 04.16.2009 11:04 pm

I'm sorry, I don't have an answer to your question, but I have also been searching for a college/university that offers study programs for international students (in English).
I've done a little research, but I cannot find anything with requirements that make me eligible.

I'm a high school Junior. Although it may be a bit too late now, I was looking for a school that offers study programs in English for medicine/biochemistry/organic chemistry or Japanese language. I wanted to do an overseas study, and Japan is really an interest of mine, so I thought to look there first.

I'm looking for almost the exact same thing, and I'm a junior as well. I'm just looking for a program that allows me to live in Japan, be a part of a normal school, take some Japanese lessons, have fun. Something like Akita Tom (http://www.youtube.com/user/AkitaTom). But maybe I'm just living in a fantasy world ^_^
我輩はただの英国紳士でございます
Disco

Postby CerpinTaxt » Fri 04.17.2009 1:01 am

jung_ah wrote:I'm a high school JuniorI was looking for a school that offers study programs in English for medicine/biochemistry/organic chemistry or Japanese language.

Coincidentally one of my college choices seems to meet your specifications. University of Rochester is a prestigious research university located in Rochester New York. They have an unique set up for their classes but you can check out their majors here. You have the choice to study abroad at either Tokyo, Nagoya, or Meiji Gakuen . More information here And also here (scroll down for Japan).
The stars can only get closer, they can only get brighter...
CerpinTaxt

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan