Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What age is considered too old in Japan?

What age is considered too old in Japan?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: What age is considered too old in Japan?

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 05.22.2009 8:00 am

becki_kanou wrote:I find that I generally think Japanese people are a lot younger than they really are as well. When I first met my husband I thought he was the same age as me, but he's actually 9 years older.

I think that's relatively correct. I think there is a wall that at a certain age, the Japanese stop looking young and start looking older than they really are. That's just my opinion of course, with nothing else to back it up but my point of view.. lol
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby AJBryant » Fri 05.22.2009 11:35 am

I do remember seeing youtube clips of some "beauty contest" thing where *mothers* were appearing in their teenage daughters' sailor-fuku, and I *swear* not one of them looked over fifteen.

I remember at the time feeling alternately "dirty-old-man"-ish and "oh, God, I gotta get to Japan NOW"-ish.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 05.22.2009 1:16 pm

AJBryant wrote:I do remember seeing youtube clips of some "beauty contest" thing where *mothers* were appearing in their teenage daughters' sailor-fuku, and I *swear* not one of them looked over fifteen.

I remember at the time feeling alternately "dirty-old-man"-ish and "oh, God, I gotta get to Japan NOW"-ish.

I think I saw that too.. lol
two_heads_talking

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan