Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - One way ticket to Japan!

One way ticket to Japan!

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

One way ticket to Japan!

Postby burstandbloom » Sun 08.09.2009 3:31 pm

I'm finally on my way to Japan, I've been planning on studying abroad for some years and now in 17 days I leave for Osaka! Its crazy. I'll be attending Kansai Gaidai and living in Hirakata city for an academic year. (about 9 months) I've gotten everything set for the trip squared away, passport, visa, plane ticket etc. (well except a pretty serious financial dilemma). I'm really excited and extremely terrified at the same time. haha. Anyway, was wondering if anybody has stayed around this area or is from there. Any advice, know any good stores, sights/good places to take pictures, all that good stuff? I suppose I'll find out myself in time, but any input would be great. Thanks!
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Re: One way ticket to Japan!

Postby clay » Mon 08.10.2009 10:37 pm

When do you leave?

Congratulations! Sounds exciting.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 08.11.2009 5:20 am

There are a few graduates from Kansai Gaidai lurking on the boards here.
I myself went there 8 or so years ago, and it's a great experience.

Unfortunately, since I went there so long ago, I really don't know how much advice I can give you.
Since I left they built a new campus, changed locations, and have really started making the foreign student body into part of the standard student body (or so I've heard).

Be sure to post your experiences on the board! I think it would be a great reference for people who are looking to study abroad in the future!
(And if you don't, at least keep a journal for yourself. You'll find it invaluable when you want to look back and remember your time there)

You're going to have a great time!
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby burstandbloom » Fri 08.21.2009 2:11 pm

Hm, can someone maybe give some info about the transportation as far is generally the expense of taking the train is. Say going from Hirakata into downtown Osaka or to Kyoto or something.
burstandbloom

Postby JaySee » Fri 08.21.2009 2:40 pm

I did a one year undergraduate language programme at Osaka Gaidai (now part of Osaka University) a couple of years ago, and for me too it was a great experience.

If I remember correctly it costs about 500 - 600 yen to get from Osaka Umeda to Kyoto Kawaramachi by train (Hankyu), so I would assume that going from Hirakata to the centre of Osaka will cost you about 200 - 300 yen.

I really loved Osaka as a city, perhaps even more so than Tokyo, although I've only ever been to Tokyo as a "tourist". That's all about to change though - from October I'll be ryuugakuing at Tokyo Gaidai for 10 or 11 months as a research student, which will hopefully be as amazing as my time in Osaka was. Will be interesting to compare the two universities, too.
JaySee

Native language: Dutch

Postby burstandbloom » Fri 08.28.2009 9:58 am

You're from the Netherlands huh? I hope you're the same guy I meet at Narita airport today that was talking about how you went there(Osaka Gaidai). That would be nuts! But maybe not he was only talking about meeting his girlfriend, never mentioned anything about going to Tokyo. Either way, I'm finally here in Japan!
burstandbloom

Postby phreadom » Fri 08.28.2009 10:55 am

burstandbloom wrote:You're from the Netherlands huh? I hope you're the same guy I meet at Narita airport today that was talking about how you went there(Osaka Gaidai). That would be nuts! But maybe not he was only talking about meeting his girlfriend, never mentioned anything about going to Tokyo. Either way, I'm finally here in Japan!

やった! :D おめでとう! Please keep us updated and maybe post some pictures for us? :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby JaySee » Sat 08.29.2009 2:14 pm

Well, I'm still in Holland, so that guy probably wasn't me :P
JaySee

Native language: Dutch

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan