Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - entertainmt VS finance industry

entertainmt VS finance industry

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

entertainmt VS finance industry

Postby suhui » Sat 10.24.2009 5:14 pm

こんにちは みんなさん。。お久しぶり!

And so I have been missing in action from this forum for more than 2 years, now I'm thinking of recapping or relearn my Japanese and well go to Japan to work in a year or 2.

May I ask if it's practical for a 外国人 (with an asian chinese look) from a finance industry to switch over to the entertainment line? I've a few years experience in the finance line (先物ブローカー会社?) but I want a change in my career. No vying to be a celebrity definitely but I wouldn't mind start working low as an assistant or helper in production or something so long it pays my living expenses there. Do they look into the degree you've got/ ur past experience/ and how old you are? Or perhaps it'll be wiser that I continue in the finance line given that I have started working for quite some time?

I'm turning 23 in 2 years time though and billingual (English and Mandarin). Worst to put off? I'm a girl.
Spoof!
suhui

Re: entertainmt VS finance industry

Postby NileCat » Sat 10.24.2009 6:03 pm

As a person who is in the industry, could I give you a word of advice?
It doesn't matter if you are a foreigner or Japanese. But it's like...the same as you get a job in Hollywood. The choice is yours. You are still young. It might be possible, it might be impossible. Who knows? But it's sure that you can't expect to earn a living for the time being. Only few people who can survive with eating their dreams can get by in this field.
If you choose to tread the extremely thorny path, I'd say only, "good luck!"
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby spin13 » Mon 10.26.2009 2:46 am

In all seriousness, how cute are you?
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Native language: English

Postby keatonatron » Mon 10.26.2009 6:37 am

I think most importantly, your Japanese has to be really good. The whole industry is driven by who you know and what they think of you. If you aren't good at schmoozing (of which talking politely and professionally without sounding stiff is a big part), you won't get far. :?
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby suhui » Wed 10.28.2009 9:00 pm

Oh yea. Guess I have a long way to go. :(

spin13 wrote:In all seriousness, how cute are you?

I am way too stout and ugly to be a 美少女。 :oops:
Spoof!
suhui

Postby ss » Thu 10.29.2009 9:43 am

I am way too stout and ugly to be a 美少女。 :oops:

Hello there, Suhui, welcome back.

We live in a superficial age in modern societies, I have to agree to some extent, cuteness, style and persona will always matter, but ultimately it’s your ability, attitude and determination that count. There are many reasons why people choose to seek work in another country. People dream to live abroad just to experience a different lifestyle, a foreign culture, I would think that the toughest thing is trying to fit in socially. You don't grow up there from infant, so there are things you need to re-learn from zero, able to adapt to new and unfamiliar living conditions and work culture.

Do they look into the degree you've got/ ur past experience/ and how old you are? Or perhaps it'll be wiser that I continue in the finance line given that I have started working for quite some time?
Oh yea. Guess I have a long way to go. :(

If you're thinking on a professional level, especially in the finance industries, I'd think that possess a good degree can help secure your position or at the very least to qualify. Other than that, you know what your strength is and being who you are, you prove yourself you are capable of your duties.

To me, having a dream means I have a great deal of things to learn, from thinking to doing. It's nothing wrong to have dreams, but let's keep the feet on the ground. Perhaps you might want to do a research on sponsorship, see if there's luck you can find companies that will sponsor you to study and work there as a contracted employee. I wish you all the best, like what've been said, communication skills are probably the first and most important issue you have to deal with.

Keep up with your JP studies!
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby suhui » Fri 10.30.2009 6:16 pm

SS wrote:If you're thinking on a professional level, especially in the finance industries, I'd think that possess a good degree can help secure your position or at the very least to qualify. Other than that, you know what your strength is and being who you are, you prove yourself you are capable of your duties.

To me, having a dream means I have a great deal of things to learn, from thinking to doing. It's nothing wrong to have dreams, but let's keep the feet on the ground. Perhaps you might want to do a research on sponsorship, see if there's luck you can find companies that will sponsor you to study and work there as a contracted employee. I wish you all the best, like what've been said, communication skills are probably the first and most important issue you have to deal with.

Keep up with your JP studies!

Hi SS, my fellow countryman :D

Yea I was thinking of going there but my degree (BSc of Science? (managemt)) don't seems to be appealing enough for me to hold a job there, let alone to say getting back in finance line. (You should know how's competitn is like in our 'fine' c'try where they only recognize the selected unis...)

But I'll still persevere anyway, hahaha because I know I'll be working there someday, or perhaps in the long run. :)

The sun is on my side, I know I'll be alright. :D
Spoof!
suhui

Postby ss » Thu 11.05.2009 7:52 am

Yup, you're going to be alright for our motherland is located at the equatorial region, sunny all year round. :D

Joking aside, I think it's better not to allow current employment market conditions to dictate your choice. Unless you are able to catch up with the ever-changing employment markets, no one can foresee or predict the future accurately. There are factors affecting each industry and things may just change. I would suggest that you continue to pursue a subject which matches your interest and abilities, something you know you will enjoy in developing.
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan