Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Spicy food and being tall

Spicy food and being tall

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: Spicy food and being tall

Postby Infidel » Sun 01.17.2010 9:56 pm

chikara wrote:
Infidel wrote:Strange, I always found both Korean and Indian food rather mild. Tai on the other hand, is just right. Just ask for maximum spicy before ordering.

If you find Indian food milder than Thai food then you are probably not ordering the right dishes although, as I said in my earlier post, spice level does vary from restaurant to restaurant and is often set to cater for local tastes. I am away from home for a couple of days and had a vindaloo last night from the local Indian (the only one in this town) and although the flavour was very good I did not even raise a sweat eating it. On the other hand I always have a towel handy when eating the vindaloo from my local Indian and I have only ever had their tindaloo once as it was at the limit of my tolerance.

I find the variation is the same with Thai food. When ordering Thai noodles from the noodle bar I use regularly I always ask for "extra hot".

Yea, you're right I'm sure. I was in Virginia Beach and the people there seem to prefer mild. Even the Thai was default mild everything and I had to remember to ask for them to raise the hotness or it would be very mild. Unfortunatly, Thai food, will at least have spicy * or something so I know what I should ask for them to spicify it, but the Indian menu just named the different stuff without mentioning what is normally spicy or not.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby becki_kanou » Sun 01.17.2010 10:00 pm

I agree, either you have a cast-iron tongue or you've been going to some lousy Indian places.
Our local Indian place has 5 levels of spiciness from mild to super hot and I usually find level 4 (very hot) to be just about right. They also used to have a "hot salad" that could peel the skin right off your tongue.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Infidel » Sun 01.17.2010 10:19 pm

That sounds awesome. Ok, well, now that I'm in the Merchant Marines, I'll probably be more likely to move to a place with better Indian restaurants. There is only one chain that I know of in the area I used to live.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby clay » Mon 01.18.2010 8:31 am

My favorite Indian restaurant was "Hot House" (since closed in Fukui, but one is still operating in Kanazawa, Ishikawa-ken). You could get just about any dish added with half-hot, one-hot, two-hot, or three-hot.

I would regularly go for two-hot, enjoy it immensely. and then regret it immensely the next morning. I think half-hot would have been enough, but man was it good! I never got the courage to try three-hot, though.

I took a Brazilian friend there once and he decided to order exactly what I ordered. After one bite, he needed glass after glass of water and refused to eat any more.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby TheDutchGaijin » Mon 01.18.2010 9:12 am

Good to know that there are some Indian restaurants there :)

I'm actually traveling through Kanazawa, perhaps I'll see the place.
How is the spiciness shown on a Japanese menu? Just 辛い? Or with the number of red peppers next to it, or ..?

I rather have mild than the "three-hot" for example
TheDutchGaijin

Native language: Dutch

Postby clay » Mon 01.18.2010 10:17 am

Ah! I wish you could take me with you. :)

http://www.hothouse.jp/

The real taste of India.......the aroma of hundres spices.....
It's an exciting experience to discover the various dishes prepared by
our experienced chefs.
We are sure that you will enjoy a TASTE OF INDIA in our new,
spacious restrant, HOT HOUSE..

Looks like they have two restaurants in Kanazawa! See their website for the locations.
clay
Site Admin

Postby TheDutchGaijin » Mon 01.18.2010 12:45 pm

clay wrote:Ah! I wish you could take me with you. :)

http://www.hothouse.jp/

The real taste of India.......the aroma of hundres spices.....
It's an exciting experience to discover the various dishes prepared by
our experienced chefs.
We are sure that you will enjoy a TASTE OF INDIA in our new,
spacious restrant, HOT HOUSE..

Looks like they have two restaurants in Kanazawa! See their website for the locations.

Thanks. Now I'm hungry~ :sweatdrop:
TheDutchGaijin

Native language: Dutch

Postby chikara » Mon 01.18.2010 6:55 pm

clay wrote:...... I took a Brazilian friend there once and he decided to order exactly what I ordered. After one bite, he needed glass after glass of water and refused to eat any more.

Water is pretty much ineffective against "chili burn". Milk or yougurt does the trick. Doesn't hurt to have some raita handy or order a nice mango lassi.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby clay » Mon 01.18.2010 7:20 pm

Yep. They ended up giving him some yogurt, but he kept downing the water. But you are right; water seems to only make it worse.
clay
Site Admin

Postby Infidel » Mon 01.18.2010 11:42 pm

Bread, rice, potatoes something starchy and absorbent is best when you eat or drink something too hot.

If you eat some nachos but the sauce is too hot, eat a bunch of plain corn chips until the heat goes away. Water is absolutely the worst thing you can take against spicy heat because it doesn't absorb it just swishes it around your mouth. I'm not impressed with milk, or yogurt although it's better than water, it's still hardly absorbent and ultimately using it makes the spicy heat last longer. I think people use milk or yogurt because the cool temperature provides some immediate relief, not because it actually eliminates the heat faster.

Btw, if you're not sure if you can handle the spiciness, don't pour the hot sauce on the rice. Unfortuantly, sometimmes the restaurant makes the decision for you. There was a wonderful thai fast food restaurant in a local food court. The super hot really was super hot, but they poured the sauce on my rice, which left me out of sorts for the first time in years.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby Pork Chop » Tue 01.19.2010 6:53 pm

Infidel wrote:
Pork Chop wrote:have you tried the green mint "sauce" that goes with the salad?
that stuff has some pretty legitimate fire.

Yea, it was kinda minty. I grade it as hot as ranch dressing.

that being said, one of the hottest dishes i've ever had was some home made thai papaya salad, made "thai hot"..

Yes, when I want hot, I think Thai.

Yah, you're definitely not eating the right stuff.
the stuff i'm talking about made my wife cry, and she can eat thai food 7 days a week and twice on sundays.
Pork Chop

Postby burstandbloom » Tue 01.19.2010 7:59 pm

The Indian restaurant here in Hirakata called New Dehli is really good but since I'm a picky eater there is only one thing on the menu I eat. This place has levels of spiciness for their food and we always think they get our orders wrong because we'll ask for the maximum level of spicy and the food never ends up spicy to us at all. I've had Korean food here in Japan in Korea Town in Osaka (of all places), not very spicy. Heard it'd be more spicy in Korea, again, not very spicy. Even when the Korean lady said, "That pepper is very hot, be careful!", it wasn't hot. I'm not a big fan or either of those types of foods (nor Japanese food either for that matter :| ) so maybe I just haven't had enough dishes that are supposed to be spicy. There is however an imported hot sauce I've seen at a couple of super markets called, 'Sudden Death Sauce' and it is honestly the hottest hot sauce I've ever had. Just carry that around and put a dash in your dish. :)
burstandbloom

Postby Pork Chop » Wed 01.20.2010 6:04 pm

just ask em to throw some of this on there....
it'll fix u right up :)
Pork Chop

Postby phreadom » Wed 01.20.2010 11:08 pm

Pork Chop wrote:just ask em to throw some of this on there....

haha.... I was watching a series of videos a few months back of people's reactions to eating one of these. :P

(I can't find the link again now...) :(
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 01.26.2010 2:56 pm

Pork Chop wrote:just ask em to throw some of this on there....

I was t hinking that scotch bonnets(habanero's) were considered the hottest, but generally speaking this jolokia is about 4 times the average habanero.. That said, i'm not a fan of heat, if there is no flavor.. Hot just to be hot is about the dumbest thing to put in your mouth.. besides your foot..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan