Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Extending Temporary Visa (90-day Visa)

Extending Temporary Visa (90-day Visa)

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Extending Temporary Visa (90-day Visa)

Postby ruisu81 » Sun 03.21.2010 12:39 pm

Hey all,

My 90 days in Japan are about come to an end, and I really do not want to go back home yet.

I am an US citizen, hoping to get a proper extension, but I read that it might be hard for certain countryman:
[quote=http://www.wa-pedia.com/japan-guide/visa.shtml]British, Irish, German, Swiss, Austrian and Mexican citizens can extend it for three more months. For others, it may be quite difficult to get an extension. It will be necessary to have a good reason and show you have enough money to support yourself. Even so, you might not be granted more than a few aditional weeks.[/quote]

I know a lot of people go to Korea or China for a short while and come back, in the process getting a new 90-day permission to stay in Japan.

The intentions of my extended stay are purely for...I guess asobi would be the best word. I'm not sure how well this would go down at the immigration office.

My buddy who's teaching English in Korea offered me a place to stay for a few days...and I'm eying a round trip to Seoul and back. Is this dangerous?

Should I go visit my friend and fly back to Narita, or visit the immigration office and try to extend my temporary visa?

I appreciate any honest advice.
ruisu81

Re: Extending Temporary Visa (90-day Visa)

Postby ピーター » Sun 03.21.2010 12:54 pm

Seems to me it would be best to try your luck with an extension from the immgration office and then fly to spend a few days with your friend only if that fails. Unless I'm missing some restriction that stops you from doing that.
ピーター

Native language: English

Postby ruisu81 » Sun 03.21.2010 1:11 pm

That was my first thought...but being that this is the Information Age, I'm worried that the inspectors at Narita can see if I was just denied for an extension.

In other words, I'm worried that a denial at the Immigration Office means I have zero options.
ruisu81

Postby spin13 » Sun 03.21.2010 11:30 pm

ruisu81 wrote:That was my first thought...but being that this is the Information Age, I'm worried that the inspectors at Narita can see if I was just denied for an extension.

For a developed nation Japan is actually pretty bad about this kind of thing. If immigration and the local city offices aren't always on the same page, I doubt the airport staff is all that well informed.

On the other hand, Korea is pretty fun; give yourself a vacation.
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Postby tōkai devotee » Mon 03.22.2010 3:04 am

If you choose to go to Korea for a few days, I'd make it longer than just a few days! :) I did that once and was in BIG trouble when I arrived back in Japan. They almost didn't let me back in. The Immigration Officers told me that I needed to be out of Japan for 2 weeks and then I could re-enter and receive another 90 day visitor visa. So I'd check with your local department and get advice from them on how long you'd need to be out of the country first, before you travel.
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby ruisu81 » Sat 03.27.2010 3:13 am

I went to the 入国管理局 and was told that it's absolutely impossible for an American to extend a temporary visitor visa. The lady actually told me to go to Korea or Hong Kong for a few days and then come back to Japan.

I asked her if that was okay, and she said yes.

Anyway...there it is!
ruisu81

Postby TokyoZombie » Mon 03.29.2010 2:43 am

Finally! Someone in the same situation as me! I've been looking everywhere for what to do but keep getting mixed answers. Like the OP, my "Temp. Visitor" status will expire soon (April 20th) and I'm trying to see if going to Korea for a few days is safe or not. The only difference between the OP and me is that I actually have a COE (Certificate of Eligibility) in process as well. I'm very reassured to learn though that the immigration officer told you it was okay to go to Korea and come right back. Can you let me know how it goes?
TokyoZombie

Postby burstandbloom » Mon 03.29.2010 6:00 am

I thought I had something to contribute to this thread that would be helpful, but then I realized I have a different kind of visa. So it was different in my case. I did leave Japan though for Korea for a few days. It was actually kind of confusing. I had to get some kind of re-entry permit that made it so I did not have to give up my Gaikokujin ID card, if I didn't I could still re-enter(because I have a multiple entry visa) but I would have to apply for a new card. I think that's how it went...again it was confusing. But if you go to Korea, have fun, its a great time!
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Postby Exoclyps » Thu 06.17.2010 8:35 am

spin13 wrote:
ruisu81 wrote:That was my first thought...but being that this is the Information Age, I'm worried that the inspectors at Narita can see if I was just denied for an extension.

For a developed nation Japan is actually pretty bad about this kind of thing. If immigration and the local city offices aren't always on the same page, I doubt the airport staff is all that well informed.

On the other hand, Korea is pretty fun; give yourself a vacation.

Makes me curious how they keep track of things. You got a clue? Like it wouldn't be that hard to add it all into a countrywide database. Or is stuffs like that local?
Exoclyps

Native language: Swedish

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan