Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Offensive Term?

Offensive Term?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Offensive Term?

Postby Machina Maw » Tue 05.02.2006 2:28 am

Golgo-13 wrote:
Yes, but English-speaking cultures do not have the propensity to abbreviate like the japanese. I've never heard of an American or a Brit say "apart" for apartment building, "conveni" for a convenience store or "rehabil" for rehabilitation.

Sounds like you've never been to Australia. ;) Or maybe you just thought that here we speak Australian as opposed to English. :)

To sum up. "Gaijin" can (obviously) only be mainly used offensively when used by a Japanese person and "Jap" can (obviously) only be mainly used offensively when used by a foreigner. Mmk? :)

I mean, If I were to call my Caucasian friend a gaijin, (provided they understood what it meant) they wouldn't be insulted, obviously. If a Japanese person were to call their Japanese friend a "Jap", why would they be insulted if it was used jokingly?
Last edited by Machina Maw on Tue 05.02.2006 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Machina Maw

Postby inamorata » Tue 05.02.2006 3:05 am

maybe "jap" is an abbreviated term - but i personally think its rude to call a Japanese person that odd abbreviated term.so :
Yes mariya it is equivalent of callin a Pakistani a "Paki" and it's rude.

And therefore would you like to be called a"Redneck" OR a "Briton" or.........i donno how many of them are there.it's rude .Honest

and yea, i wont like it either to be called an Indie;)
inamorata

Postby jinksys » Tue 05.02.2006 3:08 am

inamorata wrote:
maybe "jap" is an abbreviated term - but i personally think its rude to call a Japanese person that odd abbreviated term.so :
Yes mariya it is equivalent of callin a Pakistani a "Paki" and it's rude.

And therefore would you like to be called a"Redneck" OR a "Briton" or.........i donno how many of them are there.it's rude .Honest

and yea, i wont like it either to be called an Indie;)

Since when has redneck been a race?B)
Hello? Internets?
jinksys

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan