Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Should I go or should I stay?

Should I go or should I stay?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Should I go or should I stay?

Postby LudoHanton » Thu 04.21.2011 5:49 am

I ll be short.

I m suppose to go to Tokyo at the end of June for a month.
Obviously, I ve got some pressure from my family to cancel it.

What do you think guys? Is it dangerous? un-necesery risks? No big deal? ...

Cheers.

L
LudoHanton

Native language: French

Re: Should I go or should I stay?

Postby burningmice » Fri 04.22.2011 3:45 pm

I don't know exactly what it's like there right now. But I know the radiation isn't anything to be overly concerned about for your own health. But I hear everyday essential supplies are in high demand with little supply.
I think it's better for those already there that they don't have to spread what they have now further.

I imagine there are people from Tokyo area on these forums that could comment on current conditions better than myself though.
burningmice

Postby spin13 » Sat 04.23.2011 12:28 pm

Tokyo has, for the most part, returned to normal. A newcomer might be shocked at the amount and magnitude of earthquakes still going on, but many of us have become used to them. Radiation from the Fukushima plants remains a potential issue though in daily life it's fairly out of sight, out of mind right now. Radiation levels in Tokyo seem low enough, though there's certainly enough precedence of government/corporate/media lies and mismanagement to make one wonder.
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Native language: English

Postby Figurethree » Sun 04.24.2011 5:29 pm

If you're going to Tokyo you'll be fine. I just got back from my study abroad trip a couple weeks ago, and Tokyo is totally fine. Don't let the mass media misinformation scare you away. The radiation is well within safe levels (and hell, I was exposed to more radiation on the international flight back here to the states than I would have been in Tokyo). I was there for the earthquake and Fukushima craziness, and for the first week in Tokyo afterwards CERTAIN things were tough to come by as people panicked. It was things like instant ramen and those single-serve bread and stuff at the convenience stores :P The supermarkets were totally fine and I had no issues getting anything I needed. The only thing you may notice is the fact that many places in Tokyo were trying to conserve electricity so certain stores shut down a bit early, train stations turned off unnecessary lights etc. Tokyo is surprisingly normal given the magnitude of damage done NE of it by like 230 miles. Now, if you go NE into the hard-hit prefectures there will be shortages and other things to contend with, but Tokyo was fine when I left it and my school friends there say things haven't changed much :)
Figurethree

Native language: English

Postby LudoHanton » Mon 04.25.2011 3:17 am

Thanks everyone.
If nothing goes worst then I ll go.

Ja ne.

L
LudoHanton

Native language: French

Postby burningmice » Mon 04.25.2011 9:12 pm

I hope you enjoy your visit to Japan. :)
I hope to one day visit as well!
burningmice

Postby burstandbloom » Wed 05.18.2011 3:17 am

Sorry, I've been lazy and haven't read the posts except the first one. If you've been to Japan and loved it, enjoyed it, would like to go again, etc...That wouldn't stop you. If you haven't, the degree in which you'd like to go shouldn't stop you either. If you want to see Japan, see it. I don't want to sound indifferent to what happened but go, Japan is waiting for you!
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan