Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Job Advice! HELP!

Job Advice! HELP!

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Job Advice! HELP!

Postby sivvyx01 » Sun 10.16.2011 2:31 am

Hey All,

I would love to go back to Japan to teach English - I have a BA, a Grad.Dip TESOL and a Master in Education (TESOL)... Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the best places to seek employment, bearing in mind my qualifications ? I am not fluent in Japanese, but am learning slowly at the moment.

Kind thanks in advance!
Sivvy.
sivvyx01

Native language: English

Re: Job Advice! HELP!

Postby furrykef » Sun 10.16.2011 1:27 pm

Have you looked into the JET program? That's how most English teachers in Japan get their jobs, I think.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Shiroisan » Sun 10.16.2011 6:09 pm

furrykef wrote:Have you looked into the JET program? That's how most English teachers in Japan get their jobs, I think.

Shes overqualified for that. I'd be able to get a job through JET even though I have no language qualifications.
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Postby furrykef » Sun 10.16.2011 7:06 pm

Oh, I see. And yet I'm not qualified for JET 'cause I don't have a stupid degree :P
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Shiroisan » Sun 10.16.2011 7:17 pm

furrykef wrote:Oh, I see. And yet I'm not qualified for JET 'cause I don't have a stupid degree :P

Aw I'm not saying JET is lowly, it's just you don't need an educational degree (especially not a masters :O) to get in. And it's not that you're not qualified for JET without a degree, it's just that we're not legally allowed to work in Japan on a work visa without a degree. i.e. it could just be a theatre degree, as long as it's a degree.
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan