Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Is it safe yet to go to Japan?

Is it safe yet to go to Japan?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Is it safe yet to go to Japan?

Postby spikiki » Sun 10.16.2011 7:09 am

After the radiation, it does make me wonder. :?
spikiki

Native language: english

Re: Is it safe yet to go to Japan?

Postby Shiroisan » Sun 10.16.2011 7:49 am

What a very broad question. If you're asking about Tokyo, for example, then not only is it 100% safe now, but it was safe immediately before, after and DURING the great eastern earthquake... Most of Japan was never effected by the radiation. But fukushima... anyway, the only thing you might've had to consider minding is where from Japan the food your eating is from.
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Postby micahcowan » Mon 10.17.2011 7:22 pm

I'm not sure that's 100% accurate: there were reports of radioactive isotopes (iodine/cesium) in the water (even in Tokyo) at levels high enough to be a concern for infants. Though double-checking just now, I see that the reported levels in Tokyo were apparently much higher than the levels actually reached (by about 100% I think). Whether it was still a concern or not for infants, I don't know.

But yeah, I don't think there is or was anything to worry about besides that. I would have had no qualms about living - and remaining - in Japan (Tokyo area, at any rate), with my family, at that time.
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Postby Shiroisan » Mon 10.17.2011 8:47 pm

micahcowan wrote:Though double-checking just now, I see that the reported levels in Tokyo were apparently much higher than the levels actually reached (by about 100% I think).

And the only place in Tokyo where they found notably higher levels of radiation (Setagaya) turned out to just be from an ancient storage containment of bottles underneath the floorboards of an abandoned house that were there ages before the disaster. This just goes to show that regular every day cases of uncomfortably high radiation exist all around us, we just never realized to look for it until a nuclear disaster happened. I'm thinking of testing my house in canada!
Shiroisan

Postby micahcowan » Mon 10.17.2011 10:53 pm

Shiroisan wrote: I'm thinking of testing my house in canada!

Good idea. If nothing else, then when some event happens near(ish) you, you'll have something to compare it to to see the change, as opposed to what I guess happened in Setagaya, where they thought they'd found something new, when they actually had the risk all along.

Yeah, that kinda scares me more than the prospect of it having been due to the disaster after all. The fact that it was there all along and no one knew.

Anyway, thanks for the illumination. :)
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Postby Shiroisan » Tue 10.18.2011 7:59 pm

micahcowan wrote:
Shiroisan wrote: I'm thinking of testing my house in canada!

Yeah, that kinda scares me more than the prospect of it having been due to the disaster after all. The fact that it was there all along and no one knew.

I very much agree! And it may be silly/irrelevant, but the fact that the house was "abandoned" kind of freaked me out- perhaps the high levels of radiation eventually got to the previous owners- if they didn't die, they would have sold it, wouldn't they :S
Shiroisan

Postby furrykef » Sat 10.22.2011 11:17 am

(The two rightmost panels were added by somebody other than who made the other six... that's why the ordering was awkward. I hadn't realized this until I'd already translated it, though...)
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Shiroisan » Sun 10.23.2011 9:31 pm

furrykef wrote:-

じゃあ、ピクチャーについて、どうと思いますか?
Shiroisan

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan