Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Suicide in Japan

Suicide in Japan

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Suicide in Japan

Postby tomgrice » Tue 01.03.2012 11:34 am

Hi. I'm a young, aspiring documentary maker and I travelled to Japan recently to speak with a gentleman who I consider to be a hero. He spends his time patrolling the Tojimbo cliffs, looking for people who are considering suicide. He talks with them and has helped saved many lives.

I am making a film about this man because his story is one of hope and inspiration. I would appreciate you taking the time to watch our trailer and supporting our project: http://igg.me/p/50837?a=314855. Many thanks, Tom
tomgrice

Native language: English

Re: Suicide in Japan

Postby phreadom » Tue 01.03.2012 12:11 pm

Normally I wouldn't approve a first post that is, in a sense, advertising a product. But I think this one is particularly inspiring and worth a pass.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Ongakuka » Tue 01.03.2012 1:54 pm

Good luck with it Tom

This is always a good place to discuss or research things for your film :)
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby caladwenaeariel » Tue 01.03.2012 7:46 pm

This is a really good cause.
caladwenaeariel

Location: Red Lantern #900, SPACE Sec.9 Orbital-524 [KALOTEI]

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 01.04.2012 7:24 am

caladwenaeariel wrote:This is a really good cause.

It is a very good premise. I sort of wonder why they flew all the way to Japan in the hopes of hunting the guy down without establishing contact first. Be that as it may, I wonder why they didn't bother to engage the services of a competent translator. Seems sort of a no-brainer when you don't speak Japanese and your subject doesn't speak English.

Probably shouldn't hold your breath waiting for them to interact with you, as it seems they are posting other places and their sole interest is scrounging up some dough.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby tomgrice » Wed 01.04.2012 8:02 am

phreadom wrote:Normally I wouldn't approve a first post that is, in a sense, advertising a product. But I think this one is particularly inspiring and worth a pass.

Thanks for your kind words. I really appreciate it.

Ongakuka wrote:Good luck with it Tom

This is always a good place to discuss or research things for your film :)

Thanks Ongakuka - I'm really excited about how it will unfold!

Mike Cash wrote:

It is a very good premise. I sort of wonder why they flew all the way to Japan in the hopes of hunting the guy down without establishing contact first. Be that as it may, I wonder why they didn't bother to engage the services of a competent translator. Seems sort of a no-brainer when you don't speak Japanese and your subject doesn't speak English.

Probably shouldn't hold your breath waiting for them to interact with you, as it seems they are posting other places and their sole interest is scrounging up some dough.

Hi Mike - thanks for having a look at the link.

We did spend time trying to contact Yukio beforehand. It turned out to be very difficult, since he doesn't have contact details online! We took the initiative and went out there to find him (knowing that we would at the least be interviewing a professor of cultural studies at Temple University in Tokyo). It turned out to be a good thing we did, because Yukio was incredibly kind and welcoming, and he gave us much of his time.

Unfortunately we didn't have the finances to pay for a translator. We don't have much money now and we certainly didn't then. We were doing the whole project off our own backs. We managed to do ok asking the questions we thought important with our basic knowledge of Japanese and google translator. We're not concerned about the issue of translating everything - we just need to do it!

We are interested in raising the funds for this documentary - because we think it's an important issue and because Yukio's story is one that we think many many people would derive inspiration from.
tomgrice

Postby phreadom » Wed 01.04.2012 8:20 am

I'd also posted about it over on my blog, which I then linked from my facebook and Google+ accounts. ;)

http://blog.nnb.me/2012/01/in-productio ... oting.html

I figured some extra exposure couldn't hurt. ^_^

Good luck guys!
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby tomgrice » Wed 01.04.2012 8:23 am

Thank you caladwenaeariel. Suicide seems to be something of an 'elephant in the room' in Japanese society, but it seems in recent years the government has begun to address the issue more assertively. Hopefully this sort of documentary will help also.

phreadom wrote:I'd also posted about it over on my blog, which I then linked from my facebook and Google+ accounts. ;)

http://blog.nnb.me/2012/01/in-productio ... oting.html

I figured some extra exposure couldn't hurt. ^_^

Good luck guys!

Great! Thank you. We'll keep you posted on how things unfold
tomgrice

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 01.04.2012 8:31 am

tomgrice wrote:
We did spend time trying to contact Yukio beforehand. It turned out to be very difficult, since he doesn't have contact details online!

Took me less than two minutes to dig up an address, telephone number, and fax number.

All right here.

You guys should have posted on Japan-related forums before you started off on your project. We probably could have been of much more help to you on front-end logistical stuff (and maybe even translation) than we are likely to be on the back-end by chipping in a couple of bucks.

If you have another project to do over here sometime, please keep that (and us) in mind.
Mike Cash

Postby tomgrice » Wed 01.04.2012 8:44 am

Mike Cash wrote:
tomgrice wrote:
We did spend time trying to contact Yukio beforehand. It turned out to be very difficult, since he doesn't have contact details online!

Took me less than two minutes to dig up an address, telephone number, and fax number.

All right here.

You guys should have posted on Japan-related forums before you started off on your project. We probably could have been of much more help to you on front-end logistical stuff (and maybe even translation) than we are likely to be on the back-end by chipping in a couple of bucks.

If you have another project to do over here sometime, please keep that (and us) in mind.

I guess you must speak Japanese Mike! Unfortunately we don't, which made it difficult to find.

We haven't presented the documentary as a chore or as something that has been problematic at all. Actually, it took us rather by surprise just how fascinating this guy's story is. We'd like to make it and we think other people would be interested in helping it become a reality. If you're not interested in it, that's absolutely fine, but the feedback from other people has generally been positive. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Tom
tomgrice

Postby phreadom » Wed 01.04.2012 8:51 am

tomgrice wrote:I guess you must speak Japanese Mike! Unfortunately we don't, which made it difficult to find.

We haven't presented the documentary as a chore or as something that has been problematic at all. Actually, it took us rather by surprise just how fascinating this guy's story is. We'd like to make it and we think other people would be interested in helping it become a reality. If you're not interested in it, that's absolutely fine, but the feedback from other people has generally been positive. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Tom

Mike (and many other members here) actually lives in Japan. What he was saying was that if you had posted on forums like this one before hand asking for help, members like Mike could have gotten you the contact information and even possibly helped you with the translating etc (and depending on the location, may have been able to do so in person). In short he was saying that asking for help before hand could have saved you a lot of trouble and made things easier for you and possibly even saved you money in the long run by saving you on translation costs after the fact... and possibly led to a better interview etc. (At least I'm pretty sure that's what he was getting at. ^_^ )

Mike can come across as gruff (because he is), but he was trying to be helpful. :) He further noted that should you ever need to do another project in Japan, to keep us in mind for the same reasons. To make your next experience a smoother one. :bow:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 01.04.2012 9:06 am

Oh, absolutely 100% that is what I was saying.

This is a very worthwhile premise for a project and I would have been glad to do what I could to help out on the front-end of it. I would be glad to do whatever I can on any future worthwhile projects in Japan.

My biggest suggestion at this point would be to remove from your IndieGoGo page any references about translation difficulties and just heading off to Japan hoping to find the guy. It gives an unprofessional appearance to the project and can give rise to doubts about the nature of the finished project as well, potentially discouraging support. Depending on how one looks at it, it can be taken as, "We decided to hop over to Japan on a lark and take a camcorder with us. Now how about reimbursing us the cost of the trip?"

I'm no stranger to putting in time hunting up stuff on the Japanese side of Google. Just yesterday I conducted my own little project, paying a visit to the grave of singer Hamako Watanabe....something which required several hours of playing net-detective to even figure out where it was. You guys want to test your Japanese skills and your Google skills, try finding that bit of information anywhere online. It doesn't exist. (Story here). And I've spent the bulk of the evening hunting up stuff on the sinking of the Hirano-Maru in World War One. (Story here).
Mike Cash

Postby Kurume » Sun 01.08.2012 5:01 am

I don't really understand why he wouldn't be at Aokigahara instead.
Kurume

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 01.08.2012 6:39 am

Kurume wrote:I don't really understand why he wouldn't be at Aokigahara instead.

Perhaps because there is a large problem right there in the town where he already lives?

It isn't as though he retired and went in search of a place with a suicide problem. The suicide problem was already right there where he was, in the town where he lived and worked.

A lot better person than I ever will be said it a lot better than I ever could:

Stay where you are. Find your own Calcutta. Find the sick, the suffering and the lonely right there where you are -- in your own homes and in your own families, in your workplaces and in your schools. ... You can find Calcutta all over the world, if you have the eyes to see. Everywhere, wherever you go, you find people who are unwanted, unloved, uncared for, just rejected by society -- completely forgotten, completely left alone.

--- Mother Teresa ---
Mike Cash

Postby john2 » Wed 01.11.2012 5:32 pm

I'm definetly interested in watching it but I can't donate right now anyway.[bit of a mute point].
why is suicide so common in japan surely it isn't such a terrible country? I've definetly not lived in any place with less sadness, as far as i'm aware. I was hopping for something on the question of why.
john2

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan