Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kanji tattoos in japan?

Kanji tattoos in japan?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Kanji tattoos in japan?

Postby fruitpunchsam » Mon 04.22.2013 1:10 am

ive wanted "tomodachi" or 友達 (friends), tattooed in kanji for a while now because i care about my friends and family more than anything in the world. I have family in a japan so i travel there frequently. I have the feeling that any kanji tattoos are looked at as stupid for a foreigner to have, regardless what they say. That leads me to my question. Do you think i would look like a 馬鹿外人 (dumb foreigner) if i got this tattoo? I plan to get it somewhere on my torso/back so it can be easily covered up, plus it wont be very big. Give it to me straight what you think.
fruitpunchsam

Native language: English

Re: Kanji tattoos in japan?

Postby Ongakuka » Mon 04.22.2013 6:51 am

I don't think it makes you a バカ外人 at all. Maybe it would if the Japanese in the tattoo didn't make any sense.

I know this is obvious, but please remember that once you get the tattoo you're stuck with it, so if you have any doubts you should address them before proceeding.

Most importantly, make sure the artist knows what they are doing. Discuss and check the designs with your artist before proceeding.

And since this appears to be your first post... welcome to the Japanese Page :wink:
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby fruitpunchsam » Tue 04.23.2013 12:47 pm

ありがとうございました!
fruitpunchsam

Postby Shiroisan » Tue 04.23.2013 5:34 pm

mm personally I'd never get a tattoo, but if you feel compelled- might I recommend going a slightly different approach if friendship is what's important to you?

'友情' (friendship) might be a less straight-forward/ elegant way of showing what's important to you. If someone just sees "friend" plastered somewhere on you it might not give the same impression. If I saw "friend" on someone I'd wonder if they were trying to tell me they were not my enemy :sweatdrop:. This is just my opinion.
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Postby fruitpunchsam » Wed 04.24.2013 11:37 pm

that is an awsome point that i never thought of before. "friendship" portreys my feelings beter anyway. thank you for your reply.
fruitpunchsam

Postby furrykef » Sun 04.28.2013 6:40 pm

Why TJP doesn't help with kanji tattoos.

That article was written by the Old Guard, most of which has left or become inactive by now (I'm just dropping in, myself), so the title of the article might not be so accurate now. The article is still worth a read, though.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan