Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Geisha

Geisha

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Geisha

Postby AJBryant » Wed 12.21.2005 12:45 pm

It's a load of crap. Don't waste your time.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Txkun » Wed 12.21.2005 4:21 pm

I didn't read the book but I'm thinking as AJBryant that it's crap.

I read that:
1) the author of the book said it was from a real experience, and he was said to have some interviews with a geisha
2) at the end of the book he says it's all fictous (?)
3) the geisha interviewed when could read the japanese version of the book was really angry and sued the author for the bad and wrong way he depicted geisha and their world.

A movie based on the book will improve? I really doubt it but who knows...
Txkun

Native language: Italian

Postby skrhgh3b » Wed 12.21.2005 5:31 pm

I read the book several years ago. It was an engaging read, but ultimately had a disappointing resolution. It's a book with an idea more than a story, but I would still recommend it if you're interested. The movie, on the other hand, does look like a load of crap.
Last edited by skrhgh3b on Wed 12.21.2005 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♪夢も見たくない 幸せなんか要らない
恋もしたくない お金なんか要らない
ぼくに必要な眠りを眠らせておくれ♪
skrhgh3b

Postby KT » Wed 12.21.2005 7:04 pm

Memoirs of a Geisha. I think it might be ok.. My issue is.. It's about a japanese geisha in english AND ALL THE CAST MEMBERS ARE CHINESE!! (except for a few.. like Watanabe Ken. I look at the commercial.. "hmm.. this looks interesting.. hey... Thats Ziyi Zhang.. She's chinese... somethings wrong there.. " I looked at all the cast members.. They are all chinese or close to it. Michelle Yoeh, shes in it too. Ziyi and Michelle are both from crouching tiger hidden dragon (A mandrin chinese movie) And Ziyi is also from House of flying daggers.. (another mandrin chinese movie) I have both.. so i recognized Ziyi right away. I would probably buy it.. but It would probably displease me because the cast members aren't japanese (which I think they SHOULD be.. Since it IS about a GEISHA which is JAPANESE) Lol I have nothing against Chinese.. I have a couple chinese movies(stated upove) which are really good.

(kehe house of flying daggers [also know as 'Shi mian mai fu' in mandrin] has a japanese/chinese actor named Takeshi Kaneshiro ^-^ He's cute. I thought you looked only chinese.. he can speak Mandarin, Japanese, Cantonese, English and Taiwanese.. sweet.)

But other then that.. I think they should of made the whole cast japanese and make the movie in japanese with english subtitles. It would be awsome that way.

^-^

Signing out; KT
KT

Postby KT » Thu 12.22.2005 2:32 am

Ziyi learned to dance a long while ago. Learning dace helps with martial arts and such. Like the dance in House of flying daggers she had to learn. Shes awsome.
KT

Postby natemb » Thu 12.22.2005 7:03 am

I can say nothing about the accuracy of the book, but I read it and enjoyed it. (this was before I had any particular interest in Japan)

As for the movie, I was complaining to my Japanese friend about the same things (English language, few Japansese actors). In her opinion, it's not too bad to make the movie in English because it's based on a book in English, and she said the reason they used Chinese actors is because there are very few Japanese who can act well in English. Do people have any good counterexamples?

Also, is there anyone here who's seen the movie and can give us their opinion??
natemb

Postby AJBryant » Thu 12.22.2005 3:03 pm

This photo alone should tell you all you need to know about how "accurate" and well done the film is.

This sort of mistake is absolutely unforgivable, and totally inexplicable.

I'm stunned beyond belief.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby skrhgh3b » Thu 12.22.2005 7:59 pm

i don't care what she's wearing or how she's wearing it, she's gorgeous :o
♪夢も見たくない 幸せなんか要らない
恋もしたくない お金なんか要らない
ぼくに必要な眠りを眠らせておくれ♪
skrhgh3b

Postby AJBryant » Thu 12.22.2005 8:37 pm

THE KIMONO IS ON WRONG!

Bingo.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby AJBryant » Thu 12.22.2005 9:59 pm

they do that on purpose. This movie was filmed in Japan a least.

Yes, ALL the mistakes were "on purpose." :D

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby yankumi » Fri 12.23.2005 1:19 am

can you get the book from the library? There have been crappy books I liked, and critically acclaimed books I couldn't make it past the first few chapters. Give it a go, maybe you will like it.

I haven't actually read it, so can't give a good review, just wanted to make the library suggestion. I rarely buy fiction anymore, I like to test it first.
yankumi

Postby draffauf » Fri 12.23.2005 10:16 pm

I've heard the movie described as Pretty Woman set in Japan. If that's true, the premise alone is pretty retarded.
New York Cares
draffauf

Postby Awesome_A_K » Wed 01.04.2006 11:13 pm

Hmm, I actually liked the book lol. I was a bit confused when I had read at the beginning that it was suppose to be based on a woman's real life, then read at the end how it was fiction. The Geisha that sued him supposedly came out with her own book on it.

I didn't particularly like the way the book ended, but I guess that's how things were in Japan... Can't wait to see the movie though. I don't see what the big fuss is over the people playing the roles being Chinese is. I mean, we have white people here that play russians in movies, and other roles that are not of their ethnicity.
Awesome_A_K

Postby Strawberry_Juice » Wed 01.04.2006 11:22 pm

AJBryant wrote:
This photo alone should tell you all you need to know about how "accurate" and well done the film is.

This sort of mistake is absolutely unforgivable, and totally inexplicable.

I'm stunned beyond belief.

Tony

I flipped out in the theater when I saw that... of course, I got myself a lot of angry, "SHHHH!"'s from the people around me, but meh.
Strawberry_Juice

Postby Shibakoen » Thu 01.05.2006 12:48 am

Aaa... The movie wasn't that bad, but I'm still pretty irritated that the lead actresses aren't Japanese. You woudn't see William Schatner playing LaVar Burton's role in Roots (Kuta Kinte sp?).
Shibakoen

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan