Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - rock paper scissors

rock paper scissors

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

rock paper scissors

Postby kyospants » Fri 12.30.2005 9:13 pm

how do you play japanese rock paper scissors? im sure the rules are the same but i wanna know what youre supposed to say when you do it. thanks
kyospants

RE: rock paper scissors

Postby aKuMu » Fri 12.30.2005 9:35 pm

じゃん けん ぽん
and then you say あっち見てホイ or someting like that^^
Last edited by aKuMu on Fri 12.30.2005 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aKuMu

Native language: German

Postby zengargoyle » Fri 12.30.2005 10:03 pm

more than you want to know about jankenpon. i've also seen played in manga where it's ジャン ケン ポイ and they throw on the ポイ.
zengargoyle

Postby Kates » Mon 01.02.2006 9:44 pm

From what I observed in junior highs (where Janken was used often as we played games), the kids say "jan ken PON" and throw on "pon," as zengargoyle mentioned. And they are lightning-fast about it. o_O I was still figuring out who won when they'd move on to the next kid to play with.

"Acchi muide hoi" (is that right...? That's what it sounded like) was an added 'variant' on the basic Janken game. Let's say you are playing with a friend and your friend loses. You would point your finger at his nose and say "acchi muide HOI!" ("look this way, HEY") and fling your finger in one of four directions on the HOI (up, down, left, right). Your friend is supposed to turn his head in one of the four directions when you say HOI. If your friend looks in the same direction as you ended up pointing, you win and get to "dekko pin" (again, is that right..?) him on the forehead (which is a hard flick with your finger). If you lose, well... maybe you get dekko pin'd... I forget.

I also saw a few games of multiple-person Janken and I still haven't figured out how kids were eliminated during those games.... o_o
Last edited by Kates on Mon 01.02.2006 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kates

Postby flammable hippo » Wed 10.18.2006 7:02 pm

I play this all the time with a bunch of little kids who are also learning Japanese along with my Japanese teacher. :D

It's supposed to go:
じゃん けん ぽん and you throw down on ぽん. If both throw down the same thing, you do it again, but this time you say あいこ でしょ!And on でしょ you throw down again. If both players tie this time you repeat and say the second line over again until someone finally wins.

So in short, its : じゃんけんぽん!あいこでしょ!

I'm pretty sure that "あっち見てホイ and あっちむいでホイ are wrong but they cold just be regional variations :o
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Native language: English

Postby ashitaka » Wed 10.18.2006 7:15 pm

zengargoyle wrote:
more than you want to know about jankenpon. i've also seen played in manga where it's ジャン ケン ポイ and they throw on the ポイ.

Why would someone ever spend the time to translat that!?!?!?!?!?
Yea now i can play the game in different languages and country styles..... :@
Who wants to play Spock Lizard Fly dynamite Flowerbed with me?
ashitaka

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 10.18.2006 7:50 pm

flammable hippo wrote:
I'm pretty sure that "あっち見てホイ and あっちむいでホイ are wrong but they cold just be regional variations :o

If by regional you mean Japan, then yes, it is regional. ;)

it's あっち向いてほい! Sometimes with a pause before the ほい to trick the other person into looking before you point.

It is not necessary for Janken in general, but is often used when playing Janken as a game, rather than as a determining method (because it's slow).

As for multiplayer Janken, if you have two types (i.e, rock and scissors) the winners stay on, and the losers leave. If all three types (rock, paper, scissors) are present, it's a do-over.

No, I didn't spend 3 years in a Junior High and Elementary School. Why do you ask? :/
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby keatonatron » Wed 10.18.2006 9:49 pm

Kates wrote:
"jan ken PON"

Jan Ken Poi

"Acchi muide hoi" (is that right...? That's what it sounded like)

If it is what Akumu wrote, it's "Acchi mite hoi". If it comes from 向く and not 見る (which would make sense) then it would be "Acchi muite hoi"
keatonatron

Postby Rounin T » Fri 10.20.2006 1:38 pm

The way I learned it:

1. 「最初はグー」 On グー, everyone throws グー (the rock). Mostly to get the rhythm down.

2. 「じゃん、けん、ぽん」 On ぽん, throw グー、パー、or チョキ, whichever one you like. If there's no winner, then

「あいこでしょ」 On しょ, throw again. If still no winner, repeat.

3. Winner does the whole 「あっちむいてほい」 thing mentioned above to the loser.
Rounin T

Postby kuroi » Fri 10.20.2006 2:30 pm

There is a Mini Moni (Japanese Pop Group) song called "Janken Pyon"
Basically based on that game.

^^ "Shiroi agete, aka agete"
「諦めない」−浜崎あゆみ
kuroi

Postby paul_b » Fri 10.20.2006 2:56 pm

keatonatron wrote:
Kates wrote:
"jan ken PON"

Jan Ken Poi

Maybe _somewhere_ your 'correction' is right but it's always been じゃんけんぽん that I've heard. (Mr search engine says PON by about 500 to 1).
paul_b

Postby keatonatron » Fri 10.20.2006 9:41 pm

I thought her post was based on Zen's post, where he wrote ポイ :|
keatonatron

Postby AJBryant » Sat 10.21.2006 1:53 am

For those who don't know, "ポイ" is slang for "throw" (as in "toss, chuck, throw"). Perhaps because of *that* some people say ポイ instead of the correct word because in their mind, they're "throwing down" so to speak.

Heck, think of all the people who, in English, write "populous" when they mean "populace" or "would of" instead of "would have" and you'll probably understand people in Japan getting "ぽん" wrong.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 10.21.2006 2:13 am

AJBryant wrote:
For those who don't know, "ポイ" is slang for "throw" (as in "toss, chuck, throw"). Perhaps because of *that* some people say ポイ instead of the correct word because in their mind, they're "throwing down" so to speak.

Heck, think of all the people who, in English, write "populous" when they mean "populace" or "would of" instead of "would have" and you'll probably understand people in Japan getting "ぽん" wrong.

Tony

I'm getting sick of hearing people say "would have" when they mean "had".

ex:
"If I would have seen you I would have run." instead of "If I had seen you I would have run."

"If I would have studied more I wouldn't be such a dumbass today." instead of "If I had studied more I wouldn't be such a dumbass today."

The longer I am out of the U.S. the more I notice the total decline of English ability among Americans when I chance to hear them.
Mike Cash

Postby AJBryant » Sat 10.21.2006 11:51 am

I'm getting sick of hearing people say "would have" when they mean "had"

I hear you. But the FIRST step is to get them to stop saying "would of".

Baby steps. Y'know. When you're working with knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing neanderthals (or just the uneducated), you have to take really small steps.

One of the things that kills me is the misuse of "whenever" to mean "when" in relating to a specific event in the past. Or "Had went" or "had ran" -- people trying to form a simple past perfect and butchering it.

The thing is, (1) they don't teach grammar anymore here, and (2) no one cares about it because if 2+2=5 is officially 'a nice try', then something like "had run" is officially 'good enough.'

Weep for the language, my friend. Weep for its death.

Tony
Last edited by AJBryant on Sat 10.21.2006 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan