Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Long hair males in japan?

Long hair males in japan?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Long hair males in japan?

Postby bushido_gakusei » Tue 02.28.2006 11:37 pm

hello all, i have recently been told that longhair males in japan are very discriminated against. especially gaijin ones.

As a man with mid back length blonde hair i really hope not to be seen in a negative way when i am in japan.

so my question is, if anyone has any knowledge or personal experience etc.. with longhaired males in japan and if they've noticed to be treated more "weirdly" than the regular gaijin please share :)

in all respects
Matt
bushido_gakusei

RE: Long hair males in japan?

Postby Mukade » Tue 02.28.2006 11:48 pm

I think hairstyles here are much more relaxed than in the US.

I've seen guys in corporate settings with business suit and tie with long, shaggy, dyed hair. And they aren't all of the younger generation!

In the US on the other hand...hair that's half a centimeter too long gets you called "fag" and beaten up in seconds....

Don't worry about your hair. I came here the first time with spiked, day-glo purple hair and the second time with shoulder-blade length thick locks. Although I wouldn't suggest the purple hair if you're job-hunting, my long hair wasn't an issue when I interviewed for my current job. Mind you, I'm not an assisstant language teacher at a public school, but a full-time regular English teacher at an up-scale private school. When the principle first met me and saw my hair he didn't even blink.

It's all cool, dude! B)

(HEY! Where are the long-haired smileys?!? Are you prejudiced against hippies, Clay?!)
Mukade

Native language: English

Postby shikamarufoo » Wed 03.01.2006 12:42 am

LOL that would be cool if they had different smileys!
I can see what you mean about the being called a fag in America and beaten up...
It's not a big deal here at my school where the most known guys are with long hair, but other places hate off people with long hair and get called gay because of it.
I think there is more discrimination in America with long hair then that in Japan...(Have you seen the guys in anime lol:D)
BTW I have hair up to my ears and I'm aiming for a length where I could tie it.
shikamarufoo

Postby Shibakoen » Wed 03.01.2006 1:20 am

Dude, this reminds me of the guys with the mullets that hang around the Yokohama and Shibuya train station recruiting hostesses. Some of those guys had some pretty long mullets, and they were all red and spikey on top. Those guys were hilarious.
Shibakoen

Postby sgtkwol » Wed 03.01.2006 5:01 am

Mukade wrote:
(HEY! Where are the long-haired smileys?!? Are you prejudiced against hippies, Clay?!)

That is funny.
sgtkwol

Postby Infidel » Wed 03.01.2006 5:59 am

shikamarufoo wrote:
I can see what you mean about the being called a fag in America and beaten up...

Dude,

I've been all over the states and I've never seen this behavior. If anything I'll see girls swoon over long haired guys.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Mukade » Wed 03.01.2006 7:52 am

You obviously haven't been the south...
Mukade

Native language: English

Postby Infidel » Wed 03.01.2006 9:25 am

I said all over. But does LA, TX, VA, FL, CA, NM, OK, MO, NV, KS or TN count as "the south"?
Last edited by Infidel on Wed 03.01.2006 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Shibakoen » Wed 03.01.2006 10:03 am

No. Only NC! :D Definitely not CA, NM, OK, MO, NV, or KS. They're either "West" or "Midwest" or "Southwest". Some southerners would debate FL, too because the history and culture's so different. And New Orleans doesn't count either.
Shibakoen

Postby Jeimuzu-kun » Wed 03.01.2006 10:25 am

um... i have long hair and im going to japan! (oh yeah and im a guy too, hence the -kun after my username) but im not gay! I hope i can get a job there and people wont look at me weirdly!!!:)
Jeimuzu;)
Jeimuzu-kun

Postby zengargoyle » Wed 03.01.2006 10:30 am

North/East VA counts as yankee, the Western tip of VA counts as southern, maybe even a bit closer to Appalachian spooky hill-folk. :D along the same line, East TN is spooky, West TN is closer to midwest.
zengargoyle

Postby clay » Wed 03.01.2006 11:24 am

Wow all this in one day.

It's a conspiracy. Don't tell everyone!

Actually I had really long hair in high school and university (almost to my おしり). This all occured in the deep south too (Mississippi and Florida). I don't remember any discrimination or being hit on by any of the male sex. However I do remember once being called 'Miss' from behind. Poor guy was more embarrassed than I was!

While it may have been taboo when the Beatles did it, today there are many high school Southern boys who wear long hair.

Sorry this has nothing to do with hair in Japan...

Still, no matter where you are (with a few exceptions) having long hair isn't the norm. One reason I cut my hair was to go to Japan and/or get a 'real' job. Long hair, while perfectly fine, does carry some strong connotations. (drugs, loose sex, lazy attitude... Hippie culture). I don't see this as discrimination but just something you have to consider. Choose your battles carefully. If you are good with that, there should be no problem!

Clay
clay
Site Admin

Postby Shibakoen » Wed 03.01.2006 12:03 pm

Skynyrd! [insert cigarette-lighter smiley]

*EDIT* Dude! I found an awesome picture of the band, but somehow it didn't attach...:( Gommen ne...
Last edited by Shibakoen on Wed 03.01.2006 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shibakoen

Postby hyperconjugated » Wed 03.01.2006 12:28 pm

Just check the volume of mullets in
Confederate and you surely can't say
that long hair is being discriminated or
even disliked in the South. ;)
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby Sachi » Wed 03.01.2006 5:59 pm

Infidel wrote:
shikamarufoo wrote:

Dude,

I've been all over the states and I've never seen this behavior. If anything I'll see girls swoon over long haired guys.

I agree with Infidel; I've never seen this, either. All the guys in my school have long hair, and all the girls love it! I don't think I can name a single guy with short hair now (well, I probably can, but you get my point of how it's the style, ne?)

Clay-san has a point, though. I say (though never been to Japan, or even traveled allt oo much, this is my own opinion!) that I would think long hair is fine, as long as its not crazy long!
Sachi

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan