Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Long hair males in japan?

Long hair males in japan?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Long hair males in japan?

Postby _allismine_ » Fri 03.17.2006 7:23 pm

I have REALLY long hair, with two dyed red stripes running down the sides...glad to hear guys do it too ^_^
~ PWNing you ALL, since 1991. ~
_allismine_

Postby Seijiro Hiko » Fri 03.17.2006 9:08 pm

lol military base....Where I come from (West Texas dessert middle of nowhere small town) there's virtually no long hair on males unless you consider over the ears long and even then that fairly rare. I guess its because of the climate (scorching) and the fact that we're in a fairly conservative small town. (not to drag politics in or anything -and- the more Urban the more liberal) I don't think that girls consider long hair to be very attractive either. and your more likely to be thought of as a drugged up degenerate rather than a gay man who would be neatly dressed. (I agree with Clay on the connotations it carries)

But that's just for where I'm at....

I'll call for the long hair smiley's too!
Seijiro Hiko

Postby TrilinguisT » Fri 03.17.2006 9:19 pm

oh that reminds me -- the 80s are back so expect to see alot of mullets!!!!!
TrilinguisT

Postby keatonatron » Fri 03.17.2006 10:42 pm

Seijiro Hiko wrote:
I don't think that girls consider long hair to be very attractive either

And again, back to "Everyone's different" :D

I've had girls tell me I should grow out my hair longer (to eye-level) and I've had other girls tell me I should cut it. Just like how some guys like girls with long hair and some guys like girls with short hair, girls are equally seperated by preferences.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Mukade » Mon 03.20.2006 9:21 am

Allow me to clarify my earlier statement.

I am from Atlanta. The capital of the deep south. I had long hair that went past my shoulders (not a mullet)back in high school, and got in plenty of fights with the good 'ole boys because of it.

Then again, I graduated from high school in 1990. How many of you who are saying 'long hair is just fine!' were even alive in 1990?

It would seem to me that the times are a changin'.

Maybe I'm just showing my age... :(
Mukade

Postby Frumious Boojum » Mon 03.20.2006 10:19 am

I was 10 years old in 1990... so that's at least one of us. :)

Doesn't sound like that's a big problem for most of the US, though.... certainly never seen anybody getting a beatin' because of long hair. A little teased at times, but that's as far as anything went.
Frumious Boojum

Postby Shibakoen » Tue 03.21.2006 5:36 pm

Has anyone else looked at pictures of us from the 80s? OMG! The hair! Teased out and long as hell. Anyway, I actually made a concerted effort to look for long haired men in Japan and they seemed to be all over the place. And it wasn't just the red mullets in shibuya and yokohama. There were many professional types in their suits and brief cases walking to work with their shorter-haired colleagues. So don't worry.
Shibakoen

Postby Seijiro Hiko » Tue 03.21.2006 6:47 pm

keatonatron wrote:
Seijiro Hiko wrote:
I don't think that girls consider long hair to be very attractive either

And again, back to "Everyone's different" :D

I've had girls tell me I should grow out my hair longer (to eye-level) and I've had other girls tell me I should cut it. Just like how some guys like girls with long hair and some guys like girls with short hair, girls are equally seperated by preferences.

No, no, no, I understand that. I'm just saying that girls in my little corner of the world generally don't like long hair. That's all.:D
Seijiro Hiko

RE: RE: Long hair males in japan?

Postby xxSH0Wxx » Tue 01.09.2007 3:44 am

hey peeps..jus wondering if this hairstyle is suitable/acceptable in Japan..:)

jus my IDEAL hairstyle when i'm older ;)

[img]D:\Nicholas\Show_blog_09.jpg[/img]
xxSH0Wxx

Postby Chenzah » Tue 01.09.2007 4:53 am

I'd just like to say, when i went on my school trip to japan there was only 4 guys. Out of those 4 guys i was the only one with long hair, and the rest all had very short hair.

Guess who got 90% of the attention (we stayed at an all girls school)

I also feel like saying that long hair is common place where i am to, although i live in one of the most liberal cities in one of the most liberal countries in the world. Plus it's summer at the moment and our daily highs average at about 10 degrees.
Chenzah

Postby Mariya » Tue 01.09.2007 8:39 am

I think, with the whole being called a 'fag' and having things thrown at you thing, it strongly depends on the kind of clothing you wear with the hairstyle you got. I mean, if you have the punk hair with a suite, you'd just get a weird look. Maybe if you had it with all black, make-up and so on, then you'd probably get the discrimination.
Mariya

Postby Tegyrius » Thu 01.11.2007 7:48 pm

I haven't been to Japan so I cannot state an opinion, but I can tell you this; When I was in Thailand two years ago I had sunblonde, wavy, shoulder-length hair and the girls were crazy about it! :) This thing I especially remember seeing was a couple of young girls who were taking photos of me with their cell cams. Ah those were the days, haha!

Edit: I do not know which country would have the reason to react the strongest. Japan see more of the west, but Thailand has huge amounts of tourists.
Last edited by Tegyrius on Thu 01.11.2007 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcus
Tegyrius

Postby angstycoder » Thu 01.11.2007 8:00 pm

I just moved to Houston, Texas and catch heck nearly every day for my hair... and it's two, maybe three inches long. It's not dyed. It's usually spiked. Every single day, someone is saying something about it. Poor guy next to me (also a yankee) has hair that's longer, but not even shoulderlength and done up well. He gets all the remarks regarding his sexuality.
angstycoder: "指の臨死体験"
kagemaru: ? ? ?
angstycoder: "I meant finger has near death experience"
kagemaru "doesn't work. You said 'Finger of near death experience'"
angstycoder: "Did I mention I don't know grammar?"
angstycoder

Postby Obsessed_Saru » Fri 01.12.2007 7:10 pm

^ :o That's horrible! Any way, I wouldn't think that Japanese people would have a problem with it in particular...as has been stated, the "hot guy" in anime usually has really really long hair.
P.S.angstycoder-san, don't tease them about losing in the civil war. They don't like being teased about the civil war :o.
Obsessed_Saru

Postby Hatori » Sat 01.13.2007 2:02 am

Whenever I see a guy in America with longer hair, I either think they are totally looking for the skater/punk look or older men relating to hippies or something like that...
I personally think the whole long hair look is sort of ugly for men. Sometimes for girls too. Most of the girls I see at my school that have long hair don't seem to take care of it well I think.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan