Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kanazawa or Fukuoka

Kanazawa or Fukuoka

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Kanazawa or Fukuoka

Postby tk101 » Wed 03.08.2006 7:30 pm

hi,

I'm doing a summer abroad program in japan in july. i wish to know which would better to visit for a 4 week visit...in terms of history culture etc....

thank you
tk101

RE: Kanazawa!

Postby Oracle » Wed 03.08.2006 8:59 pm

Kanazawa is extremely cool. It was an important city back in the feudal period so it has lots of history and culture. It has a castle (well, the walls are still there, they've reconstructed a sort of castle on the same spot), a 'Noh' theatre, it has a great garden called Kenrokuen (兼六園) which is (apparently) one of the best three Japanese gardens in Japan, part of town is kept in the style of the feudal period and also has a "geisha" district which has Japanese tea houses. It also has a temple/house with lots of trapdoors and hidden entrances which is called "Ninja Temple" 忍者寺 (ninjadera) ! And all of that is in easy walking distance. It's a great city to get around by bike or foot. I don't think there were be many other places in Japan (well, kyoto maybe) where you could get such a cross section of Japanese culture in one place in such a short time.

I lived there for a few years and HIGHLY recommend it!

Only problem might be is that the local dialect is very different from standard Japanese so it may not be the best place to learn Japanese with a standard accent.
But still, I would say definately go for Kanazawa.
Last edited by Oracle on Wed 03.08.2006 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oracle

Native language: English

RE: Kanazawa or Fukuoka

Postby AJBryant » Wed 03.08.2006 9:24 pm

If you like seafood, Kanazawa is heaven.

It was the seat of one of the wealthiest daimyo of the Edo era (something that is still mondo-important culturally, as everywhere you go you'll see references to "hyaku-man-goku" this and "hyaku-man-goku" that). No other house besides a Tokugawa had the pursestrings that the Maeda had.

Great place. I only went there two or three times, but I loved it.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby clay » Wed 03.08.2006 9:50 pm

If you go to Kanazawa be sure to eat at Hot House (a great Indian curry shop!).

food trumps culture, right?
clay
Site Admin

Postby Oracle » Wed 03.08.2006 9:57 pm

clay wrote:
If you go to Kanazawa be sure to eat at Hot House (a great Indian curry shop!).

food trumps culture, right?

I used to go there! Their hottest curries are to be feared..
Oracle

Postby kanadajin » Wed 03.08.2006 10:04 pm

It also has a temple/house with lots of trapdoors and hidden entrances which is called "Ninja Temple" 忍者寺 (ninjadera) ! And all of that is in easy walking distance.
Sweet I've heard of that place befor..

I don't know much about Fukuoka But I know Kanazawa must be a great place! Two of my friends went and loved it!
kanadajin

Postby clay » Wed 03.08.2006 10:40 pm

I've never been, but I believe you have to make an apointment to visit the Ninja temple. (or at least it is a good idea) There should be English (or Japanese) tourist information at the station.

Oracle - glad you enjoyed it! It was my favorite place to eat in Fukui, but when they closed the Fukui branch I occasionally made the trip to Kanazawa just for Hot House!!

I took a Brazilian friend to Hot House once and even though I warned him '2 hot' was quite hot, he ordered what I ordered any way. He took one or two bites and then just kept asking the waitress for water after water.

2 hot is extremely hot. They have half hot, 1 hot, 2 hot and the sizzling 3 hot. I have never had the 3 hot, but 2 hot is enough to wake you up in the morning.
clay
Site Admin

Postby kanadajin » Wed 03.08.2006 11:06 pm

Lol!!
2 hot is enough to wake you up in the morning.
That was great :D
kanadajin

Postby Oracle » Wed 03.08.2006 11:34 pm

clay wrote:
I took a Brazilian friend to Hot House once and even though I warned him '2 hot' was quite hot, he ordered what I ordered any way. He took one or two bites and then just kept asking the waitress for water after water.

2 hot is extremely hot. They have half hot, 1 hot, 2 hot and the sizzling 3 hot. I have never had the 3 hot, but 2 hot is enough to wake you up in the morning.

This thread has made me hungry! I *really* feel like going back up there right now just for a curry at Hot House! Pity I'm in Australia..
Oracle

Postby kanadajin » Wed 03.08.2006 11:36 pm

lol oracle.. Most threads end up talking about food somehow.. and always make me hungry -_-"
kanadajin

Postby CrazzyWarrior » Thu 03.09.2006 12:43 am

well from the responces it sounds like kanazawa. So what is Fukuoka like?
私の名前はセスです。
Watashi no namae ha seth desu.
[英訳] The ko (accumulated wisdom) of an old man is more precious than the ko (shell) of a tortoise.
「甲」と「劫」が同音であるところからできたことわざ。「劫」は極めて長い時間のことをいう。年長者の経験は尊ぶべきである。
CrazzyWarrior

Postby zelda780 » Thu 03.09.2006 2:48 am

I really like Fukuoka. It's a little small-town; if you're outside the city centre people point and stare, uttering 'oooh, gaijin....' But if you can overlook this then there are loads of really great places to visit and it's a good city for commuting. It's really cheap and easy to get to places like Nagasaki, Oita, Beppu, Miyazaki and even Korea. Within Fukuoka, you have the historic town of Dazaifu, with its shrines and onsen. There's Hakata, which has Japan's first Zen temple (and a very good shopping centre!) There's Fukuoka castle, Momochi seaside park, and the bustling Tenjin - the centre of Fukuoka's nightlife.

Hope that helps!!
zelda780

Postby tk101 » Thu 03.09.2006 8:01 am

thanks everyone for your input. It seems Kanazawa is more popular than fukuoka.
also i would like to note that langaugesabroad.com says "relatively undiscovered by Foreigners." hmmm i wonder what they mean by that?....

anyway. I never tried curry before so that will be something interesting...

i'm going to japan also for college credits in japanese language....which place would be best for language.

Kanazawa -1
Fukuoka - 0

有り難う!!!!!
tk101

Postby CrazzyWarrior » Thu 03.09.2006 10:44 am

tk101 wrote:
langaugesabroad.com

just a note for thoes trying to visit the site its actually, like myself, heres the actual address

languagesabroad.com
私の名前はセスです。
Watashi no namae ha seth desu.
[英訳] The ko (accumulated wisdom) of an old man is more precious than the ko (shell) of a tortoise.
「甲」と「劫」が同音であるところからできたことわざ。「劫」は極めて長い時間のことをいう。年長者の経験は尊ぶべきである。
CrazzyWarrior

Postby keatonatron » Thu 03.09.2006 12:00 pm

Fukuoka is pretty awesome, I really like it there. But, if you're only going for 4 weeks I would recommend Kanazawa just because there's so much to see and do. Fukuoka is a fun place to visit if you've already seen and gotten used to Eastern Japan.
keatonatron

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan