Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Am I TOO tall?

Am I TOO tall?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Am I TOO tall?

Postby Kisshu » Thu 04.27.2006 2:43 pm

こんにちは皆さん!お元気ですか?

Ahem... anyways... I was on the internet look for a yukata... this may sound kinda silly.. but for some reason, I have ALWAYS been really attracted to yukata/kimonos. Even before I got into the Japanese culture. So I though... why not buy a yukata?

Someone suggest this site and I managed to find the yukata section. I also found this REALLY awesome yukata which I think I might like to buy. The only problem is that I am having trouble reading it. you see, the whole webstie is in Japanese. I understand that the price is around $40, but I have no idea how to size order.. I am worried that I won't find a yukata that fits! You see, the problem is, I am 5'9" and 150 lbs. So.. em.. I am a LOT bigger than the average Japanese person. Can someone tell me if this yukata would fit, and also how much the shipping is?

And if you don't think that this yukata would fit, where do you think I oculd find a yukata that would be my size? ありがとう!

Here is the website http://www.uniqlo.com/L4/getitem.asp?hdnItemMngCD=w70064
Last edited by Kisshu on Thu 04.27.2006 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

RE: Am I TOO tall?

Postby Takeo Saeki » Thu 04.27.2006 5:16 pm

This is one thing i'm not looking forward to when I go to Japan. Buying clothes. I'm 6'4". I'm like a foot taller than the average Japanese person, at least. I'd better stock up quite a bit on clothes before going there.

Anyway, can't help you. Sorry.
Last edited by Takeo Saeki on Thu 04.27.2006 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Takeo Saeki

Postby Tesu » Thu 04.27.2006 5:23 pm

5'9 is a LOT taller? Though I've never been there, I kinda find that a little hard to believe. Im 5'7 (have always considered myself as pretty short) but don't expect to be particularly tall once I make it over there :)
Tesu

Postby Takeo Saeki » Thu 04.27.2006 5:34 pm

I don't know. What IS the average height of a Japanese person? I'm thinking it's around 5'3". or 5'0". Am I right? But 5'9" can't be a LOT taller. They'd have to be Hobbits for that.
Takeo Saeki

Postby hungryhotei » Thu 04.27.2006 5:36 pm

I found this。 サイズ Was the word you needed to look for。 What is your height in cm?身長 is height.

身長 153〜166
身丈 163
裄丈 67
袖丈 49
身幅 48
帯 長さ:359×幅:17.5
Last edited by hungryhotei on Thu 04.27.2006 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hungryhotei

Native language: English

Postby Sachi » Thu 04.27.2006 5:36 pm

Kisshu wrote:
こんにちは皆さん!お元気ですか?

I am fine, thank-you :)

Ahem... anyways... I was on the internet look for a yukata... this may sound kinda silly.. but for some reason, I have ALWAYS been really attracted to yukata/kimonos. Even before I got into the Japanese culture. So I though... why not buy a yukata?

It doesn't sound silly at all! I've always wanted a yukata myself (just for the fun of it :D).

As to the question... I can't really help you. I looked around a year ago for one, got accustomed to the sizes and who they're meant for, but I honestly can't remember much of it now.

I did find this, though:

"Yukata
Small (55 〜 56" men): fits up to 5' 4" 〜 5' 6" (165lbs)
Medium (58" men): fits up to 5' 7" 〜 5' 8" (fits up to 175lbs)
Large (59 〜 61" men): fits up to 5' 9" 〜 6' (fits up to 200lbs)
X-Large (63 〜 64" men): fits up to 6' 1" 〜 6' 3" (250lbs)
Medium (55 〜 56" women): fits up to 5' 4" 〜 5' 6" (165lbs)
Large (58" women): fits up to 5' 7" 〜 5' 8" (175lbs)" -http://www.kashusales.com/help/size.phtml

Hope that helps a little!
Sachi

Postby Kisshu » Thu 04.27.2006 6:05 pm

Tesu wrote:
5'9 is a LOT taller? Though I've never been there, I kinda find that a little hard to believe. Im 5'7 (have always considered myself as pretty short) but don't expect to be particularly tall once I make it over there :)

Well, the average female height is 5'1" and I'm a femal.. the average male height is about two inches shorter than I am... it really depends on what you consider "LOT"

I don't know. What IS the average height of a Japanese person? I'm thinking it's around 5'3". or 5'0". Am I right? But 5'9" can't be a LOT taller. They'd have to be Hobbits for that.

Well I consider 9" a lot taller than them.. I mean heck.. everyone here ocmments on how tall I am and they are like only 2 inches shorter than me O.O

I found this。 サイズ Was the word you needed to look for。 What is your height in cm?身長 is height.

身長 153〜166
身丈 163
裄丈 67
袖丈 49
身幅 48
帯 長さ:359×幅:17.5

Whoah... really? Thanks so much!
It doesn't sound silly at all! I've always wanted a yukata myself (just for the fun of it ).

As to the question... I can't really help you. I looked around a year ago for one, got accustomed to the sizes and who they're meant for, but I honestly can't remember much of it now.

I did find this, though:

"Yukata
Small (55 〜 56" men): fits up to 5' 4" 〜 5' 6" (165lbs)
Medium (58" men): fits up to 5' 7" 〜 5' 8" (fits up to 175lbs)
Large (59 〜 61" men): fits up to 5' 9" 〜 6' (fits up to 200lbs)
X-Large (63 〜 64" men): fits up to 6' 1" 〜 6' 3" (250lbs)
Medium (55 〜 56" women): fits up to 5' 4" 〜 5' 6" (165lbs)
Large (58" women): fits up to 5' 7" 〜 5' 8" (175lbs)" -http://www.kashusales.com/help/size.phtml

Hope that helps a little!

Tanks for the vote of confidence.. Everyone else is like what the heck?! Be yourself! You don't needa buy a stupid yukata! grar..

So I believe I would need a size large woman? Would the 1.5 inch difference matter that much? Also, since I weigh 150, would it be too big?
ラブラブ!!<3
Kisshu

Postby Mukade » Thu 04.27.2006 7:20 pm

A generation or two ago and 5'7" might have been considered tall. The younger generations are sprouting, though, now that they have increased amounts of protein in their diets.

At 5'8", I am average, at best. In fact, many of my middle school students stand over me - and I work at an all girls' school!
Mukade

Native language: English

Postby Shibakoen » Thu 04.27.2006 11:18 pm

I agree with Mukade. I felt like I was tall if I was around a bunch of older people, but if I was around high school/college kids I felt average and I'm 5'10". For a girl, yes, you're definitely on the tall side but not "too tall." Anyway, there was this salariman who must have worked for the NEC offices around where I lived because I would see him all the time and he was 7'6" easy. I'm not joking, either. I was around big guys a lot when I went to UNC. I had friends on the basketball team and all the basketball players were tall. Anyway, we had a few recruits that were about 7'6" and this Japanese dude was easily that tall.

Edit* I just remembered something. On my latest trip back, my girl and I were in the subway and we saw a Japanese woman who was at least 6'5". She was much taller than me and most everyone else around. There were a couple guys around who were taller than me and she was still taller than them. Not much taller than them but obviously taller. Anyway, after she was out of earshot I said something to my girlfriend about her and she said that she actually wanted to go up and talk to the woman. The most amazing thing about the woman was that she didn't look "strange". You know how if you see a tall woman (think Rebecca Lobo and other female basketball players) they seem disproportionate in their faces and with the rest of their bodies, too. But this woman was just, like, perfect. I mean absolutely gorgeous. Looked like she just stepped off a catwalk somewhere, except with her height it was like she was still on it and everyone else was walking around below her. It was surreal. Anyway, don't worry about being tall. You probably won't stick out as much for that as you will if you're just not Japanese.
Last edited by Shibakoen on Thu 04.27.2006 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shibakoen

Postby sailor_mars » Fri 04.28.2006 4:35 am

Kisshu wrote:
You see, the problem is, I am 5'9" and 150 lbs. So.. em.. I am a LOT bigger than the average Japanese person. Can someone tell me if this yukata would fit, and also how much the shipping is?

And if you don't think that this yukata would fit, where do you think I oculd find a yukata that would be my size? ありがとう!

Here is the website http://www.uniqlo.com/L4/getitem.asp?hdnItemMngCD=w70064

Hee HEE you make me seem so wittle I am only 5'4" sometimes 5"4 1/2". But no you're not weir I made myself a yakuta. It came out ok.:p
sailor_mars

Postby Machina Maw » Fri 04.28.2006 8:02 am

baka gaijin wrote:
This is one thing i'm not looking forward to when I go to Japan. Buying clothes. I'm 6'4". I'm like a foot taller than the average Japanese person, at least. I'd better stock up quite a bit on clothes before going there.

Anyway, can't help you. Sorry.

My favourite Jrock artist is 6'4". But most of the stuff he wears, is given to him by his fans :p.

This was a pointless reply. But since we are on the topic of height, I'm 14 (15 in June) and I'm around 5'8" to 5'9" and a half. I've always been tall but, but I don't mind because I occasionally model B)
Anyway, I hear the really annoying thing about being tall (-er than the average person) in Japan, is if you have large feet. Apparently they all have small feet and well-fitting shoes are hard to find. *__*
Machina Maw

Postby Frumious Boojum » Fri 04.28.2006 10:50 am

I'm bigger than the average Japanese....

...so, imagine my shock when I found that the shirt that came with the Shinobi DVD actually fit me! Not my preferred fit, but I wasn't even expecting it to get it that close.
Frumious Boojum

Postby Kisshu » Fri 04.28.2006 12:09 pm

Wow.. yeah.. I'm 14 as well.. but I'm lucky that I have small feet.. BUT THIS IS OFF TOPIC! Does anybody know of a good place to buy a yukata??:o
ラブラブ!!<3
Kisshu

Postby I-samu » Sat 04.29.2006 7:51 pm

Whoah.
I'm 5'9 too.
But, last year when I went to Japan, it didn't seem like I was so tall.
[][][][]
I-samu

Postby Shibakoen » Sat 04.29.2006 8:51 pm

Kisshu wrote:
Wow.. yeah.. I'm 14 as well.. but I'm lucky that I have small feet.. BUT THIS IS OFF TOPIC! Does anybody know of a good place to buy a yukata??:o

In the farthest reaches of the galaxy? Good luck. In Japan? Sure, there are a bunch of places. Just go to any tourist places. Sounds like that website is a good place. It's just that any sizes will be in centimeters. If there's anything you don't understand, cut and paste into a post on this thread and I'm sure someone can translate. Also the "Japanese Learning Suite" that they have on this site is pretty good as a kanji/vocab dictionary.
Shibakoen

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan