Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - American English to Japanese

American English to Japanese

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: American English to Japanese

Postby Iwark » Thu 06.15.2006 5:01 pm

Can someone please tell me the definition of "And did I remind you of"?
Onegai?
Iwark

Postby Iwark » Thu 06.15.2006 5:06 pm

oops.. Sorry. I thought the thread "American English to Japanese" would not add "And did I remind you of"?
when I'd typed it once, so I'd did it twice by mistake...
Iwark

Postby Iwark » Thu 06.15.2006 5:10 pm

I thought "And may I remind you of"(as in "And may I remind you of the controls of this game?") would be the same thing..
Iwark

Postby Iwark » Thu 06.15.2006 5:16 pm

kotori wrote:
He was poking fun at your request.

I take it english isn't your first language? The people here, including myself, can be very mean sometimes, because of the frequent unrealistic requests from people new to Japanese.

I can't help with your sentences, and neither can anyone else because your english doesn't make sense. Not actually trying to be mean here, but it doesn't.

As richvh says, "And did I remind you of..." doesn't fit. Do you mean "And did I tell you...."

In any case, these are strange sentences, pulled out of context so it makes it hard to translate. Partly because we can't understand why you'd want such a wierd excerpt from something that's apparently an incomplete conversation.

"And did I remind you of"(as in "The voice acting can be bad. And did I remind you of the controls in this game? It get's horrorble all of the sudden.")
Iwark

Postby Iwark » Thu 06.15.2006 5:17 pm

Wakatta?
Iwark

Postby Iwark » Thu 06.15.2006 5:21 pm

richvh wrote:
Iwark wrote:
Konnichiwa, minna-san. Ogenki desu ka? I have something to tell you.. I'm intrested in seeing sentences translated from American English to Japanese..
I'm wondering of the translation, and I can't think of it.. That's why I need you help.. I want a direct translation. To translate, you must translate it's feelings,
just it's sentence. If you don't, the translation will be poor. I want someone who can translate. Today's sentences:"It's camera angles are poor. And did I remind you of the voice acting? It gets cheezy all of the sudden.." If someone can translate it, I will be thankful.

As I've tried to tell you in the chat, present your own translation, and people are more likely to help you improve it, than if you just present sentences and demand (yes, this looks more like a demand than a request) that they do all the work for you. You also haven't presented any context (Is this the director talking to a cast member? Two fans talking together?), you are asking contradictory things (Do you want a direct (literal) translation, or one that preserves the feelings?) and your original is ungrammatical.

Translation into American English:
"Its camera angles are poor. And did I tell you about the voice acting? It gets cheesy all of a sudden..."

"And did I remind you of"(as in "The voice acting can be bad. And did I remind you of the controls in this game? It get's horrorble all of the sudden.") Wakatta?
I want I literal translation.
Iwark

Postby hamsterfreak4evr » Thu 06.15.2006 6:12 pm

can you please not post 6 times in a row? sorry, but it gets kind of annoying and i think there may be a rule against it....B)
hamsterfreak4evr

Native language: english

Postby richvh » Thu 06.15.2006 6:28 pm

No matter how often you say it, the way you are using "did I remind you of" doesn't make sense.

o Did I remind you of my brother?
x Did I remind you of the game controls?
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Schattenjedi » Thu 06.15.2006 6:43 pm

I think he means "And did I mention the game controls?".

edited to fix my english
Last edited by Schattenjedi on Thu 06.15.2006 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schattenjedi

Postby Sachi » Thu 06.15.2006 8:11 pm

EDIT: Most of message deleted due to the revelation that my post made no sense at all :D:p;) Heheh

And please do not post so much in a row; you can edit your message :)
Last edited by Sachi on Thu 06.22.2006 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sachi

Postby kotori » Thu 06.15.2006 9:37 pm

We know what remind means, but it still doesn't make sense.

At first, I thought he was talking about a movie. Then I couldn't tell whether or not he was talking about the movie as someone who has seen it, or if it was supposed to be dialogue of someone making the movie.

The game controls thing comes out of nowhere.

Also, is this a game that the person being spoken to has already played? If so, why is the speaker telling someone about a game they already know about, and if not, how is he "reminding" him of anything?

The conversation is confusing. I don't know what's going on, so I sure as heck can't even try a translation. If you know what he's trying to say and what the situation is, I'd love to know.
kotori

Postby Iwark » Thu 06.15.2006 9:44 pm

the "game controls" is actually part of the sentence.
Iwark

Postby Iwark » Thu 06.15.2006 9:52 pm

The sentence was just an example........ I just want to know what is the definition of "did I remind you of", not the translation...
Iwark

RE: post

Postby Iwark » Thu 06.15.2006 9:54 pm

hamsterfreak4evr wrote:
can you please not post 6 times in a row? sorry, but it gets kind of annoying and i think there may be a rule against it....B)

I posted it because I forgot what to say... I wish it was a chat room.
Iwark

Postby Oyaji » Thu 06.15.2006 10:00 pm

"Remind" implies that the person has prior knowledge which they may have forgotten. You remind them of something they already knew. Is that how you are using it?

Literally, the word for "to remind" is 「思い出させる」

I think in this case though, something like this might be more natural:
"Did I remind you of the controls in this game? It get's horrorble all of the sudden."
「このゲームのコントローラのこと言ったかね。急にひどくなることがある」
Oyaji

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan