Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Do you think I'll ever find a vegan host family?

Do you think I'll ever find a vegan host family?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Do you think I'll ever find a vegan host family?

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 06.20.2006 8:53 pm

My sister in law runs an organic healthfood restraunt out in the middle of inaka. She's very health concious, and all her cakes and coffee and everything are made with soy milk, no eggs, etc etc.

However, when she goes home, we all enjoy a nice bowl of miso soup (fish stock) fried crockets (pork mince fried in fish stock and oil) and other things that would boil a vegan's bones. And she's one of the most health-conscious Japanese people I've ever met.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you'll be able to find SOME places that cater to vegans, but at some point your veganism is going to broken, either willingly or not. :/
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby metapod » Tue 06.20.2006 10:53 pm

TrilinguisT wrote:
im curious.. are you okay with eating bread? myuka.. cause i thought yeast is a living organism.

Just because it is a living organism doesn't mean a vegan wont eat it. Plants are living organisms and vegans eat them. Mushrooms, bacteria, etc are organisms and vegans still can eat them. They are not animals though. Living organism does not mean animal. Vegans don't eat anything that belongs to or comes from organisms in the animal kingdom as much as possible.
metapod

Postby Myuka » Tue 06.20.2006 11:44 pm

lol metapod I was just about to say that. Because I eat fruit and I just had vegetables a few minuets ago for dinner. If anyone is wondering since some people still seem to question my choice, why I eat plants which are alive but not animals it's because I think animals are treated more cruely than plants are since people have to be careful with plants or they will die. Also because animals can walk around and seem to be able to connect with each other and have more of a life than a plant would. ^_^

Wow everyone is still posting fun stuff to read. I'm glad so many people are interested in posting their opinions because I value all of them.
Myuka

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 06.21.2006 12:16 am

For some reason I'm reminded of a simpsons quote.

I'm a level 5 vegan. I don't eat anything that casts a shadow.
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Taojinn » Wed 06.21.2006 4:00 am

Also, probably to do with the fact that plants don't feel pain form what we know, but then again can't be too sure. You can always just stick with rice and turn down, politely, anything meat oriented. I doubt they'll hold it against you. They have beliefs too, so I don't see why they would question or put down yours, just explain.

From what I know their whole society is based around properness and politness so go with the wind.
Knowledge is the only salvation for those who seek to exist, otherwise it's just cool.
Taojinn

Postby Myuka » Sun 06.25.2006 9:06 pm

ty toajinn
Myuka

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan