Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Question about Brazilian/Peruvian-Japanese Immigration and E

Question about Brazilian/Peruvian-Japanese Immigration and E

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Question about Brazilian/Peruvian-Japanese Immigration a

Postby TrilinguisT » Fri 06.30.2006 8:38 pm

keatonatron wrote:
TrilinguisT wrote:
wow .. how do you count every single japanese in the world?

Probably each country asks about nationality when they do the census. That information is then collected by research companies to find out how many Japanese are living in what countries.

so it's all done by serveys?

btw, if you are not japanese by blood but by culture and language, does that still make you japanese?
TrilinguisT

Postby keatonatron » Fri 06.30.2006 9:44 pm

TrilinguisT wrote:
so it's all done by serveys?

When you say it that way, I imagine some guy standing out at the supermaket asking each person who walks by what their nationality is. Most likely, when people register to vote, buy property/a house, apply for citizenship, are issued a birth certificate, and/or get married, they are asked what nationality they are a descendant of. Of course there are always a few mistakes, but when you get 1 billion right and 2,000 wrong, it's not that big of a deal. We aren't calculating something to save the world from doom, we're just curious as to where all the Japanese emmigrated to. B)

btw, if you are not japanese by blood but by culture and language, does that still make you japanese?

If you were born with Japanese citizenship or a permanent resident visa, you'd be a second-generation American Japanese.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Grit » Fri 06.30.2006 10:27 pm

I have some new questions, but don't forget about my questions in the last post!

Alright, so Japan had a lot of immigration programs with many South American countries. The site in particular lists the timelines of Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Mexico, Paraguay, and Peru. With this in mind, why is it that most nikkei, are in Brazil and Peru?

My guess would be that Mexico's number is small perhaps because of Japan's failed colonization attempt in the past. Chile might have a small # because the immigration was chronologically close to political instability and upheaval (revolution in late 1800s). Bolivia never really had an official act or treaty which it signed with Japan, but rather just had 'improved' diplomatic relations or something of the like. Argentina is somewhat understandable because it has/had about 60% of Peru's Japanese population (so while not the top two, it is somewhat close). Paraguay though...maybe because of its size, and the relation of its size to how much power and authority it can actually wield in South America (like Uruguay).

Any speculations, facts, explanations etc..

Lastly why did so many Brazilians and Peruvians immigrate back to Japan (as opposed to the others)? Is it just a question of sheer size (i.e. since most were in Brazil and Peru, most returning, if immigration is equally distributed (which it isn't), would be from these two countries)? I heard once that some company (in the 80s) offered large opportunities for Brazilians to return I think, I think to assist with dealing with the decreased workforce resulting from the large aging workforce.

Hit any of the points/questions brought up in the post or my last one please! Thanks again.

Side question: coco --> Are you a nikkei or do you just have an interest in the topic or have researched it before?
Grit

Postby coco » Sat 07.01.2006 5:46 am

Ok, so dekasegi is far more broad, and refers just to those working away from 'home'. So technically, regardless of one's nationality, they can be called a dekasegi?

Yes, they can be called dekasegi.

Alright, here is where kibei was used on the site:

"For example, the often difficult pre-World War II kibei experience of the Japanese Americans is not comparable to that of Latin American Nikkei who studied in Japan and returned to their Latin American communities, generally with increased stature."

I see, here is the Japanese text of your part.
例えば、日系アメリカ人の中でもしばしば困難を伴った帰米者の経験は、日本で勉強してラテンアメリカに帰った日系人の経験とは根本的に異なっています。後者はしばしば日本で勉強した事によって、高いステータスを得るようです。

In this context,
帰米者Kibeisha : Nikkei people who have returned to U.S.A. from Japan.( had stayed in Japan as a visitor.)

makes sense? :p

帰国 【きこく】 (n,vs) return to country; (P); EP
者 【しゃ; もの】 (suff) person; -er; -ee; SP
米国 【べいこく】 (n) America; U.S.A.; (P); EP --from jdic
Last edited by coco on Sat 07.01.2006 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan