Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Driving in Japan (and elsewhere)

Driving in Japan (and elsewhere)

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Driving in Japan (and elsewhere)

Postby Grit » Mon 07.03.2006 10:04 pm

For those who came to Japan from the US and learned how to drive in the US, I wonder, how difficult is it to have everything inverted? Would you say it's more difficult to drive in Japan with (a.) no experience at all, or (b.) learning again with everything the other way (or do some/most not bother with driving for a bit)? I would go with the former being the more difficult, but I am just curious as to what that type of transition would be like (I have driven with the wheel on the right side before, though it has been a while since I have, but I did that on a track, not on city streets etc.). Obviously if you're from a country where the driving configuration is the same it wouldn't be too much of a transition now...
Grit

RE: Driving in Japan (and elsewhere)

Postby clay » Mon 07.03.2006 10:16 pm

Getting used to driving on the opposite side of the road and car isn't as difficult as you may imagine.

Two big differences, 1) You must stop at all rail road crossings and 2) you cannot turn right on a red light. Other than that, I really can't think of any problem I had getting used to driving in Japan.

Also do a quick search on forum posts. There was a recent driving thread that was very interesting.
clay
Site Admin

Postby richvh » Mon 07.03.2006 10:33 pm

clay wrote:
2) you cannot turn right on a red light.

Well, I should hope not! That would be turning across traffic. (Perhaps you meant "you can't turn _left_ at a red light?)
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Grit » Tue 07.04.2006 1:11 am

The same thing applies to railroad crossings here if you're driving buses or vehicles with hazardous materials I believe.

But sorry, I suppose I was too preemptive. I should have perused more.
Grit

Postby becks23 » Tue 07.04.2006 3:42 am

The biggest difference I find is driving manual. Having the stick on the other hand takes a little getting used to, especially when you drive right hand stick(NA models) your whole life but change to left hand(Japan models)
"Beckham has done it again at Old Trafford!!"
becks23

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan