Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Can you major in Japanese in Japan?

Can you major in Japanese in Japan?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Can you major in Japanese in Japan?

Postby Seji Kuroshima » Sat 07.15.2006 2:20 am

Well, since I know you can major in English in America and other English-speaking countries, can you major in Japanese in Japan? o.o This would be really useful, as I've had no luck in my various diggings. If not, is there any way you'd be able to get a college education (in Japan) that would further you in becoming a Japanese translator over in Japan?
Seji Kuroshima

RE: Can you major in Japanese in Japan?

Postby keatonatron » Sat 07.15.2006 5:22 am

Do you mean as a Japanese person or as a foreigner?

Just like how Americans can major in English in American colleges, Japanese people can major in Japanese in Japanese colleges, although it isn't very common.

In order to be able to attend a Japanese university as a regular student (if you weren't a regular student you wouldn't be able to major in Japanese) you have to be able to speak Japanese pretty close to JLPT 1 level. From there you could major in Japanese if you really wanted to, but...

If you want to be a translator, majoring in Japanese at a Japanese university would be major overkill. (I think it actually includes a lot of classical Japanese which no one [besides Tony] knows anything about anyway) All you have to do is study Japanese well enough to pass the tests required for certification.
keatonatron

Native language: English

RE: Can you major in Japanese in Japan?

Postby Seji Kuroshima » Sat 07.15.2006 8:30 pm

Really? Wow, you're an absolute lifesaver. :3 Thank you so much for all your help, it's greatly appreciated! ^^
Seji Kuroshima

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan