Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japan craze

Japan craze

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Japan craze

Postby DeNyed » Sun 07.23.2006 1:05 am

Part of my interest in Japan's language and culture has come from the gaming industry. I have had an interest in gaming far before I started liking anime/manga. I am trying to get into the gaming industry as a conceptual artist. With all the new interest in gaming and all the people who love gaming so they think that a game career would be easy, it will be a challenge. Japan is nintendo, they are the top ringleader in this gaming world. The innovative games and characters they produce are amazing. If I was able to speak Japanese and learn their culture and study games from their point of veiw it will give me and edge in applying for game positions here in the US.

I also got very interested in the Japanese culture when doing research for suicide for a class project. I learned that in Japan was one of the highest rates, I looked into why and was intrigued by their cultural values. I soon just started researching japan and their culture and fashion. I have always been into fashion and designing since I was a kid, so seeing traditional dress (kimonos etc..) and youth wild style of clothing (I am an artist and different colored hair and crazy clothes are fun!) made me want to learn about it even more. I also got way into Egyptian culture and got really into their relgion and interesting ways of life and gods.

All of this was before I started getting into anime. I loved books before I got into watching anime. Because anime/manga has much more plot and character development than normal cartoon in america (which are usually for humor and have common endings).

Thats what got me into the Japanese. :)
DeNyed
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun 07.23.2006 12:49 am

RE: Japan craze

Postby TrilinguisT » Sun 07.23.2006 2:09 am

I believe this japan craze is generated by all the stereotypes that never dies:

1. Japan is everything like anime (some people can actually emit signals from their mind to control super zoids :D)
2. Japanese is the epitome of what's good, and they only posess things we can only dream to be born into
3. Japanese people are probably the only kinds of asains american can come to understand of ever will
4. Japanese people are all the same; uptite, straight-postured, serious people; all the girls are cute and easy
5. Japan is perfect, everyone is rich, everyone is smart, everyone is happy so it's like heaven on earth

I think there are more, but these stereotypes seem to be the main things i see/hear/observe
User avatar
TrilinguisT
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Sun 03.05.2006 11:48 pm

RE: Japan craze

Postby TrilinguisT » Sun 07.23.2006 2:30 am

Victory Manual wrote:

Highschool students who study Japanese are rare - Yes, it's true that in Hawaii it is the biggest second language, but that's only because of its proximity. In California most students learn Spanish. Elsewhere, French and German.

Japan is pretty low on the popularity ladder.


I am one of those students who learned japanese in highschool. Usually, highschools cater to students' culture and heritage, so they try to offer the select language to those who make up a large percent of the particular school. spanish/french is availible at any school. here in norcal, there are many japanese programs, even my college offers it.
User avatar
TrilinguisT
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Sun 03.05.2006 11:48 pm

RE: Japan craze

Postby Namakielin » Sun 07.23.2006 2:57 am

i think its because of anime and the way their culture is. their language could be a sign. its one of the languages that i think is ipressive. and for me now. i say this time after time but the reason why i started learning japanese is because of its culture, the way they act, the way their art is including anime. alot of it. and to live there so i can meet a nice pretty girl;)and to finish this manga that i have. yet, i am having learning:( with it. i can't seem to have a way of learning the language well. but i have hopes. yeah.
Image
User avatar
Namakielin
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat 07.15.2006 5:51 am

RE: Japan craze

Postby zengargoyle » Sun 07.23.2006 2:59 am

ummm.... yes, latin alphabet was derived from pictographs. i can't think of any alphabet that wasn't pictographic at one point in the past...

as for popularity of things Japanese.... personally my timeline goes something like this:
early 70's: cars. american cars were crap, there was a oil crunch, japanese cars were the bomb, both in fuel efficiency and construction.
late 70's: ninja, karate, misc. martial arts. there were a few ninja movies, and the idea of martial arts began to grow. runs into the 80's. a few cartoons mostly about giant robots piloted by people.
mid 80's into early 90's: corporate management. every other book on running a company, or improving production dealt with the way Japanese business was run. from morning exercises to employee dedication. also time of booming Japanese economy, idea that they take things that other countries invent and find ways to mass-produce and make the ideas profitable. especially electronics. game machines, Sony walkman, etc. Porn anime! demons, tentacles, Akira. totally bizarre animation.
mid 90's: Harajuku, fashion, pop-culture.
afterwards... i stopped caring that much.

i would love to know what happened from say 1900 through the war period up to the 70's....
User avatar
zengargoyle
 
Posts: 1200
Joined: Sun 05.29.2005 10:16 pm

RE: Japan craze

Postby taylorpelto » Sun 07.23.2006 4:06 am

The whole "craze" is because of Japanese media (cartoons and comic books).
People think that Japan must be JUST like the comic books and JUST like the cartoons, its all a big hocus-pocus. A lot of people are in the "honeymoon stage" about Japan. They believe its all one big happy-land dream world filled with big eyes and super-duper-action-poses and boys on boys and edible backgrounds and nearly-naked women and... well you get my drift. Stupid media. I have kind of hoped that more people would have seen through all of the "awesome-o-rama" action poses in japanese to what the comics are really showing. Ug, I'm sorry, I shouldn't even go into that.

Anyway, the craze is because of media. Young kids think that the violence and nudity and way-too-repeated plot lines are "the bomb".
Its kind of the same in Japan. In japan, there is an "American craze". Kinda weird, huh?
taylorpelto
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed 10.12.2005 10:32 pm

RE: Japan craze

Postby TrilinguisT » Mon 07.24.2006 12:44 am

taylorpelto wrote:
The whole "craze" is because of Japanese media (cartoons and comic books).
People think that Japan must be JUST like the comic books and JUST like the cartoons, its all a big hocus-pocus. A lot of people are in the "honeymoon stage" about Japan. They believe its all one big happy-land dream world filled with big eyes and super-duper-action-poses and boys on boys and edible backgrounds and nearly-naked women and... well you get my drift. Stupid media. I have kind of hoped that more people would have seen through all of the "awesome-o-rama" action poses in japanese to what the comics are really showing. Ug, I'm sorry, I shouldn't even go into that.

Anyway, the craze is because of media. Young kids think that the violence and nudity and way-too-repeated plot lines are "the bomb".
Its kind of the same in Japan. In japan, there is an "American craze". Kinda weird, huh?


You've got to be kidding me, what's soo good about america?
User avatar
TrilinguisT
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Sun 03.05.2006 11:48 pm

RE: Japan craze

Postby Schattenjedi » Mon 07.24.2006 12:56 am

taylorpelto wrote:
The whole "craze" is because of Japanese media (cartoons and comic books).
People think that Japan must be JUST like the comic books and JUST like the cartoons, its all a big hocus-pocus. A lot of people are in the "honeymoon stage" about Japan. They believe its all one big happy-land dream world filled with big eyes and super-duper-action-poses and boys on boys and edible backgrounds and nearly-naked women and... well you get my drift. Stupid media. I have kind of hoped that more people would have seen through all of the "awesome-o-rama" action poses in japanese to what the comics are really showing. Ug, I'm sorry, I shouldn't even go into that.


All of the media you speak of are part of the entertainment industry. Their job is to entertain. They never claim that the motives in their entertainment represent everyday Japan. I think it's all harmless as most anime fans find out sooner or later (hopefully before their plane lands there) that Japan is a lot more than just that what is portayed in anime.
Schattenjedi
 

RE: Japan craze

Postby Txkun » Mon 07.24.2006 2:13 am

I don't understand why some of you are so much against people that likes anime/manga/cosplay.

Why are you so much upset by this?

Because they don't follow the 'right' way to learn japanese?
I think it doesn't exist... if you can learn even a word watching anime why not? If they are interested they will go on getting a decent grammar book and have a better understanding.

Because they are superficial?
Maybe some are but you can't say you watch anime -> you are 'baka' Anime sometimes are much more complex than the standard disney-chirstmas-cartoon.
I think too that after watching a little everyone will be interested in culture that is clearly visible in some anime (traditional food, education system, belives just to name a few). They are anime so, it's not like living there. Some things may be excessive but as a movie or book or any media (even a 'serious' book could be wrong...)

If they are having fun in this way and doing harm to noone why you have to despise them so much?
User avatar
Txkun
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri 08.26.2005 3:17 am
Location: Rome
Native language: Italian
Gender: Male

RE: Japan craze

Postby Ezrach » Mon 07.24.2006 10:45 am

Txkun wrote:
I don't understand why some of you are so much against people that likes anime/manga/cosplay.

Why are you so much upset by this?

Because they don't follow the 'right' way to learn japanese?
I think it doesn't exist... if you can learn even a word watching anime why not? If they are interested they will go on getting a decent grammar book and have a better understanding.

Because they are superficial?
Maybe some are but you can't say you watch anime -> you are 'baka' Anime sometimes are much more complex than the standard disney-chirstmas-cartoon.
I think too that after watching a little everyone will be interested in culture that is clearly visible in some anime (traditional food, education system, belives just to name a few). They are anime so, it's not like living there. Some things may be excessive but as a movie or book or any media (even a 'serious' book could be wrong...)

If they are having fun in this way and doing harm to noone why you have to despise them so much?


I don't understand why some of you are so much against people that likes eating babies.

Why are you so much upset by this?

Because they don't follow the 'right' way to maintain a healthy diet?
I think it doesn't exist... if you can satisfy your hunger even a minute eating babies why not? If they are still hungry they will go on getting a decent pork roast and have a better meal.

Because they are superficial?
Maybe some are but you can't say you eat babies -> you are 'baka' Babies sometimes are much more nutritous than the standard steak dinner.
I think too that after eating a few everyone will be interested in nutrients that are clearly present in some babies (protein, iron, amino acids just to name a few). They are babies so, it's not like eating cow. Some things may be excessive but just as any veal or chick or any baby creature (even a 'savory' steak could be unhealthy...)

If they are having fun in this way and doing harm to noone why you have to despise them so much?

---Answer---

Because they ARE affecting the rest of us. They go to Japan and everyone has this impression of foreigners as anime lovers - nerdy, strange, a-social beings (who may or may not eat babies).
Last edited by Ezrach on Mon 07.24.2006 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Ezrach
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Tue 07.18.2006 12:05 am

RE: Japan craze

Postby hyperconjugated » Mon 07.24.2006 10:52 am

That must be the worst analogy ever.
Last edited by hyperconjugated on Mon 07.24.2006 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
User avatar
hyperconjugated
 
Posts: 636
Joined: Fri 05.06.2005 5:12 pm
Location: Finland
Native language: Finnish

RE: Japan craze

Postby Ezrach » Mon 07.24.2006 11:04 am

hyperconjugated wrote:
That must be the worst analogy ever.


It was just a modest proposal.
User avatar
Ezrach
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Tue 07.18.2006 12:05 am

RE: Japan craze

Postby hyperconjugated » Mon 07.24.2006 11:12 am

Victory Manual wrote:
hyperconjugated wrote:
That must be the worst analogy ever.


It was just a modest proposal.

:D
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
User avatar
hyperconjugated
 
Posts: 636
Joined: Fri 05.06.2005 5:12 pm
Location: Finland
Native language: Finnish

RE: Japan craze

Postby battousai » Mon 07.24.2006 1:29 pm

I don't think anyone hates anime/manga fans or tries to downplay the passion they have for their hobby, I believe where the small clash comes is the way these fans usually trivialize something like learning Japanese. Anime and manga is obviously a huge reason for Japanese boom recently, which is also proven by the Why Japanese thread in the general forums. At least 75% of the responses have something along the lines of "read/listen to manga/anime" as a goal. Which is 100% fine and great, if they actually do it. However, and this is by no means a judgement or an insult, most of these fans usually don't get very far in their goal and give up. However, they of course don't give up anime/manga (because someone subs it for them) and as a result they become a very vocal majority with very little experience.

Now, of course the question is who cares? Ignore them, don't mind them, not hurting anyone, and that's perfectly fine. But, this majority is also the majority of people on sites like this, other websites, forums, and even class rooms at schools. Speaking from personal experience, I've had these type of fans in my classes when I was a student and as a teacher now. The truth is, their pipe dream is quickly extinguished when they realize that learning any language without more motivation than anime/manga competency is very hard. So while the spreading of Japanese products is great, the "culture" that these types of fans think they're experiencing is very distorted. And because these fans obviously attract eachother, I feel they distort reality even more for others who are new to the scene.

If anything, what I'm trying to get at is I don't see the popularity of Japan nowadays as an interest in Japan as a culture or language, but more of an interest in Japan's world-recognized storytelling skills and their artform of entertainment.
User avatar
battousai
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed 04.06.2005 9:37 am

RE: Japan craze

Postby Txkun » Mon 07.24.2006 3:02 pm

Wow, people like this really piss me off.

i don't know what you have against me... i by no means say i'm smarter if i watch some anime i like. And i don't feel superior in any way for that. What i wanted to say is simply: 'why how much hate against a bunch of people that is having fun watching movies, reading manga or just dressing oddly'. Stop. I wanted to say that even if they are lesser media maybe you can learn something from them. Fun thing is that i watched few anime after all... i was just defening people you are calling idiots and so on.
You say you hate them because they go to japan and you feel they are ruining white man's image in japan? Okay, it's your opinion (I think it's wrong, and anyway you shouldn't care so much the opnion of japanese that are so eager to judge people in this way) there is no need to insult me since you don't know anything of my japanese level nor interest about japan. Anyway for me case closed...;)
User avatar
Txkun
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri 08.26.2005 3:17 am
Location: Rome
Native language: Italian
Gender: Male

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests