Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japan craze

Japan craze

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Japan craze

Postby serekuro » Mon 08.21.2006 7:01 pm

TrilinguisT wrote:
I believe this japan craze is generated by all the stereotypes that never dies:

1. Japan is everything like anime (some people can actually emit signals from their mind to control super zoids :D)
2. Japanese is the epitome of what's good, and they only posess things we can only dream to be born into
3. Japanese people are probably the only kinds of asains american can come to understand of ever will
4. Japanese people are all the same; uptite, straight-postured, serious people; all the girls are cute and easy
5. Japan is perfect, everyone is rich, everyone is smart, everyone is happy so it's like heaven on earth

I think there are more, but these stereotypes seem to be the main things i see/hear/observe

wah-wait? There are seriously people who think that?...They're scary.
serekuro

Postby serekuro » Mon 08.21.2006 7:07 pm

taylorpelto wrote:
The whole "craze" is because of Japanese media (cartoons and comic books).
People think that Japan must be JUST like the comic books and JUST like the cartoons, its all a big hocus-pocus. A lot of people are in the "honeymoon stage" about Japan. They believe its all one big happy-land dream world filled with big eyes and super-duper-action-poses and boys on boys and edible backgrounds and nearly-naked women and... well you get my drift. Stupid media. I have kind of hoped that more people would have seen through all of the "awesome-o-rama" action poses in japanese to what the comics are really showing. Ug, I'm sorry, I shouldn't even go into that.

Anyway, the craze is because of media. Young kids think that the violence and nudity and way-too-repeated plot lines are "the bomb".
Its kind of the same in Japan. In japan, there is an "American craze". Kinda weird, huh?

Will this obsession ever end? I'm thinking it'll mainly be my generation and hopefully the younger generation after me will move on to newer things. I mean it did start, in my opinion, with pokemon and just pretty much bloomed from there. I just can't comprehend I mean yes, I know there are a lot of people out there that think that. But Japan is a place. Not heaven. Ah well, I REALLY hope it won't be the new emo or something. Where everyone will want to have wacky hair and what not.
My brain isn't functioning properly for those wondering.
._. sorry.
serekuro

Postby serekuro » Mon 08.21.2006 7:41 pm

Okay, Yes, I do realise that I've been writing TOO much for my own good XD; But I'm bored okay. So I shall tell everyone why I'm so interested in Japan and such why?..because I have no life.

I know I stated this in a previous post a good reason is because I grew up with it. Anyway, I didn't get fully addicted until I got into anime/manga art. It was really my break through with my art and such. (I had always drawn since I was young but it was really the thing that got me determined to get into art) Then I got into inuyasha with plans of becoming a mangaka and what not. This was at the age of 13. I grew out of inuyasha when I saw all 167 episodes. Afterwards I explored anime I started downloading it and everything then stopped when I noticed I only had 1% of space left on my computer. I had to delete a lot and I havn't started up again since. Then got more and more into shoujo mangas. I pretty much read them constantly. I've stopped reading them maybe 2-3 months ago because I realised that it's very very unrealistic and on top of that I can't find any to download and I don't feel like using money up for something I'm only going to read once and taking me only an hour to do so. And I guess I've been getting more and more involved with the culture since inuyasha. Everything about this culture is intrigus to me and I want nothing more than to learn about it.
As for where my art is. I grew out of wanting to draw manga style art. For those who art drawing it in hopes of becoming a game character designer, animator and whatnot. These places DO NOT want that. They want realisme as they always have. I suggest you all go into realisme. But then again, maybe there are some that will accept anime but err I don't know.
So now I'm obsessed with dramas.
And why do I want to learn japanese? Because learning languages is fun and I figure this is a whole other extremity to my native language. I've already learned French by being forced to go to a french highschool and I've been wanting to learn japanese since I was 13 and now I'm more determined than ever.

My plans for the future:
I want to get into animation and I plan to. Not for hopes of going to Japan but for hopes of fulfilling my dreams. I love art and I love video games. I'm only 15 so my interests are liable to change which is completely normal. My asperations were inspired because of Japan. I'm going to go visit the country most likely in 3 years. My father knows someone who currently lives in Tokyo so most likely I'll stay there for a a few weeks and get to know the place.
As a majority of people here I'd like to live there possible just for the sake of living there but thinking logically that it most likely in an impossibility I'll just see if Japan is in my favor in the future.
Yuy.
serekuro

Postby Schattenjedi » Mon 08.21.2006 7:58 pm

Can you respond to peoples' posts in 1 post rather than 10?
Schattenjedi

Postby keatonatron » Mon 08.21.2006 8:14 pm

Multiple postings are not allowed. You can use the edit button to write more if you wish.

Or you can start a blog.

You've been warned.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby jpcool » Sun 03.11.2007 4:13 pm

(Hmmm...What got me so interested in japanese, was how pretty the language sounds. It hit me one day after listening to much audio from anime that is constantly run in japanese. I've also become a fan of rock music from Japan. Asian Kungfu Generation snagged me. Thus the name 'starving musician'
I've been playing the guitar for a year and I'd like to compose some breakthrough stuff there. Plus the girls are so darn cute.)

Same views as me

Anime is cool too :D
jpcool

Postby marquis » Sun 03.11.2007 4:38 pm

I think a part of the massive japan craze isn't just anime, but also japanese music. Some of that might come in through the avenue of the Final Fantasy series (which is not only known for its wondeful storylines, but also its wonderful music.

That is one of the things that keeps me engrossed in the japanese culture.

Another aspect is the art of japan. Everything about its plants, trees, origami, city building structure is amazingly artistic.

Also, the lifestyle. Historically (at least as much as we understand through media), there is a certain deepness of history rooted in honor. Although I think that is a trait of asian culture in general, this seems to be prominent in japan.

When you have all of that together, the art and the history and the music, it's little wonder that so many people are in love with japanese.

Those are just a few of my thoughts.
marquis

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 03.11.2007 4:44 pm

marquis wrote:
Everything about its........city building structure is amazingly artistic.

Also, the lifestyle. Historically (at least as much as we understand through media), there is a certain deepness of history rooted in honor.

Those are just a few of my thoughts.

You've obviously never been here.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Dehitay » Mon 03.12.2007 11:55 am

Mike Cash wrote:

Isn't that where the Japan craze usually comes from?
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby AJBryant » Mon 03.12.2007 12:09 pm

MWA HAHAHA!!

I've never seen so many nice views and otherwise "quaint" looking vistas ruined by the incredible bulk of power and phone lines snaking overhead. It's the most amazingly, stunningly, mindbogglingly inexplicable mess I've ever seen.

I remember going crazy a few times trying to find a place I could take a photo of a temple or castle or even Mt. Fuji that wouldn't have huge cables right in front.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Kagemaru » Mon 03.12.2007 1:12 pm

marquis wrote:
city building structure is amazingly artistic.

Anyone for an E-home?
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby AJBryant » Mon 03.12.2007 4:47 pm

Anyone for an E-home?

AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 03.12.2007 5:09 pm

AJBryant wrote:

MWA HAHAHA!!

I've never seen so many nice views and otherwise "quaint" looking vistas ruined by the incredible bulk of power and phone lines snaking overhead. It's the most amazingly, stunningly, mindbogglingly inexplicable mess I've ever seen.

I remember going crazy a few times trying to find a place I could take a photo of a temple or castle or even Mt. Fuji that wouldn't have huge cables right in front.

Tony

go up North, to Tohoku around Aomori or Oodate, no electric trains, so no lines.. lol.

Oh wait, then you can't see Mt. fuji can you? doh.. but lots of temples and a castle or two, if you care to go back to the electric heavy Sendai, or Aizuwakamatsu.
two_heads_talking

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 03.12.2007 7:56 pm

AJBryant wrote:

They're actually incredibly easy to find. You just have to go on a package tour and pay a couple 万 to go to the special walled-off area that they have prepared especially for your viewing pleasure.

I was watching a "Mt. Fuji Vacation" tour thing on TV. They had a beautiful onsen/ryokan with a gorgeous view of Mt. Fuji. 一泊8万円
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby AJBryant » Tue 03.13.2007 12:16 am

They had a beautiful onsen/ryokan with a gorgeous view of Mt. Fuji. 一泊8万円

For that money, they'd better have onsen bijin who soap you up and... so forth. Y'know.

Damn.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan