Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Ware Ware Nihonjin

Ware Ware Nihonjin

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Ware Ware Nihonjin

Postby Budomaru » Wed 07.26.2006 2:38 pm

i remember an japanese officer in "Pearl Harbour" using wareware when he was speaking to a superior. would make sense since at the time, japanese nationalism was at the rise.
You know you've been hanging around a forum too long when people start quoting you and agreeing :P
Budomaru

Postby Grit » Wed 07.26.2006 2:50 pm

favorable impression Kazutoyo has made with Nobunaga

That being trying to kill him. Nobunaga is thinking, 'that Kazutoyo is a stand up guy, what with trying to impale me with his yari and all.'

play easy with the favorites

Makes sense, and it goes both ways. He sure treated Mitsuhide like dung (then again, it is somewhat amusing watching Nobunaga smack him around his palace on various occasions).

"Yo, Kaz. About your wife..."

...sorry, but we made her commit seppuku because she kept spouting that cheezy distinguishments line, plus she slighted Korin, and NOBODY does that to a ninja who looks THAT good.

Have you read Japonius Tyrranus? Hella good book. The first real study of Nobunaga in English, and it's amazing.

I haven't, but hearing about a book about Nobunaga in English made me do a little check on the internet, which eventually led me to Amazon, which dashed my hopes of even considering a purchase seeing as it's a rather expensive hardback.

back on topic, i know the military uses the term wareware nihonjin when refering to themselves in military excercises.. they use alot of "older" terms.. and alot of command forms when giving instruction..

Yeah, in that Nihonjinron article it said that the phrase was really a product of Japan's gearing up to ultranationalism, a phrase, amongst other things, used to galvanize and more easily control the population (and what country isn't that done in?), so go figure it still has links to the military, which typically have nationalist leanings.

My main question really was how 'Wara Wara' was put in the phrase, but that got sorted out early on. Wareware makes perfect sense.
Last edited by Grit on Wed 07.26.2006 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grit

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 07.26.2006 3:46 pm

sorry, I didn't mean to delve too far, but as a linguist in the USArmy, military stuff, especially Japanese stuff gets me going..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Grit » Thu 07.27.2006 12:24 am

That's no problem.

I have another question about part of a celebrity's name. He's a black guy, and his first name is Bobby I believe. What's his last name?
Grit

Postby Oyaji » Thu 07.27.2006 12:42 am

Again, from the entertainment desk ;) , that would be Bobby Ologun (ボビー オロゴン). He was popular for his easy going nature and "unique" way of speaking Japanese. A few months ago he caused some problems, and has since completely disappeared from TV.
Oyaji

Postby Grit » Thu 07.27.2006 1:01 am

You are very helpful in that department Oyaji. So he started out as kickoboxer eh?
Grit

Postby Oyaji » Thu 07.27.2006 2:17 am

Glad I'm useful for something. ;)

Actually he came to Japan for schooling and business (apparently his father is a successful businessman in Nigeria) He was "discovered" and began appearing on one of Sanma-san's programs and was a big hit. He is a very strong man, so he tried his hand at K-1 as an opponent for Akebono to beat (I think the thinking was that MAYBE Akebono could beat an amatuer - but no such luck.). Ologun beat Akebono - three times.

Supposedly he didn't think his management company was paying him a big enough share of his earnings, and he made a big ruckus in their office. He hasn't been seen since (professionally speaking.)
Oyaji

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan