Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Going to Japan after high school...

Going to Japan after high school...

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Going to Japan after high school...

Postby clay » Wed 08.02.2006 1:15 pm

Did you ever think there'd be a time you'd say something like this? And if someone had said this to you at 15, would you have listened?

This seems to be a universal phenomenon. I remember my fourth grade teacher warning us about the teenage years. Mrs Foster told us how she rebelled against her parents and thought she knew far more than they did. I clearly remember thinking then how this would NEVER happen to me.

But sure enough from about 15 to 23 or so I suddenly realized I knew more than my parents. Then, just as sudden, as I entered the 'real' world (meaning graduated from college) I realized my parents knew far more than I.

If you are in fourth grade and reading this now, be warned. :D
clay
Site Admin

Postby keatonatron » Wed 08.02.2006 1:19 pm

I remember vowing I would never forget what it was like to be a kid and have your parents be hard on you. I promised myself I wouldn't treat my kids the same way.

Then I grew up and realized that my parents did the right thing. I'm sure I'll play it the exact same way when the time comes :D
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Ezrach » Wed 08.02.2006 9:40 pm

悪循環だ!
Ezrach

Postby Oyaji » Wed 08.02.2006 10:14 pm

keatonatron wrote:
Then I grew up and realized that my parents did the right thing. I'm sure I'll play it the exact same way when the time comes :D

Victory manual wrote:悪循環だ!

Probably some of both.:)

My experience with those things my parents did that I swore I wouldn't is:

1. I realize they were right.
2. I still think they were wrong, but I'm doing the same thing.
3. I still think they were wrong, and I'm making a conscious effort not to do the same thing.

My goal is to eliminate no. 2 as much as possible, and find the wisdom to judge between 1 and 3 in each situation. Neither is easy. ;)
Oyaji

Postby chiisu321 » Tue 08.08.2006 9:37 pm

Victory Manual wrote:
Unless you are a uni student in Japan, you can only stay there as a visitor for up to 3 months at a time. No uni degree = no work.

If you want to get into animation and video game programming, Japan is the absolute worst place to go. All the jobs are taken by...Japanese. What skills do you have in either industry that would get you a job over a Japanese person who has the same skills, or better?

I'm not trying to shatter your dreams, I'm just suggesting that you think things through thoroughly.

Another thing to consider, your financial situation isn't the best, according to your post. Attending school in Japan will be considerably more expensive than in the States. You've also got to pass an entrance exam in Japanese to go to any national university. If you went to a private school that has classes in English, it will cost you more, and you'll most likely be living in Tokyo, which is more expensive than any city in the U.S. (Actually, according to this year's economy survey, Tokyo is the 3rd most expensive city to live in in the world, behind London at number 1, and Seoul at number 2)

You're only 15. You've got a lot of time ahead of you. If you set your goals and keep at them, you'll get there soon enough.
I believe tokyo is the 2nd most expensive, but i'm not positive. That's not really relavent to this though><
chiisu321

Postby chiisu321 » Tue 08.08.2006 9:46 pm

My situation is similar to yours, i believe. I want to attend a university in Japan also. I'm not at all interested in animation or video games though. My life doesn't suck or anything and my grades are........well i won't brag. I do want to give you some positive advice however.

What i think you first need to do is evaluate why you want to go to Japan. I don't think you should use it as an escape from a pianful life, but just for the honest to goodness desire to be in Japan. Why do you want to be there?
Also you're really going to have to focus on your studies if you want to stand a chance in school. You've got 3 years though right? Gotta get up the GPA buddy.;)

The big thing mentioned is that as an american in Japan it may be harder for you to get a job. You have to show something that no one else has or else.

Try to take every aspect and possibility into consideration as you plan. It's not impossible, but it won't be easy.
(sorry if i made spelling mistakes)
chiisu321

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 08.09.2006 1:21 pm

keatonatron wrote:
I remember vowing I would never forget what it was like to be a kid and have your parents be hard on you. I promised myself I wouldn't treat my kids the same way.

interesting how one's perspective changes when they have the reins in their hands.. I had the same experience as you Keatonatron except that I was sure that there was no way I would be like my Father and then one day, my daughter said to me exactly the same thing i said to my father after I scolded her just like my father scolded me.. I just stood there for about 10 minutes shocked..
two_heads_talking

Postby keatonatron » Wed 08.09.2006 1:50 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
interesting how one's perspective changes when they have the reins in their hands..

I don't think it really has all that much to do with power, or "turning into your parents and making the same mistakes." I think it just comes from the fact that there's a lot to life that kids don't understand. Their parents already know what will happen a few years down the road in the kids' lives, while the kids themselves don't know. For me, it's not like a "damn, I made the same mistake my dad did" or even a "well my dad did it to me, so I'll do it too" thing (I don't have kids yet, this is just speculation). Now that I look back on it, my parents were right and made the right choices, I just didn't realize it at the time because I was a selfish, immature child--which is perfectly normal.
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 08.09.2006 4:27 pm

oh, i wasn't saying my father was bad or good, .. in most everything, me being the first born, he was learning.. I suppose, so was I. I was the same short sighted teenager most of us tend to be.. It was just a shock for me to find myself in my dads shoes some 20 or so years later and looking back realizing he told me the same things I just told my daughter and then having her reply back to me exactly the way I did to him was a bit of a shocker..

I don't think I have turned into my father, but I do think many of the things he instilled in me are ever evolving.

I think it takes alot to realize that ones parents only have your best interest at heart when they "correct" you.. Selfishness and immaturity are things normally grown out of.. Recently it seems that even adults struggle with this..

I personally am glad my dad didn't hold back..
two_heads_talking

Postby Ezrach » Wed 08.09.2006 8:51 pm

chiisu321 wrote:
I believe tokyo is the 2nd most expensive, but i'm not positive. That's not really relavent to this though><

It was 2nd for a long time, and even ranked #1 at one point, until this year's Mercer cost-of-living survey. Seoul has it beat at this point. But, it's still 3rd place, and not far behind Seoul.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/5117480.stm

1. Moscow
2. Seoul
3. Tokyo
4. Hong Kong
5. London
6. Osaka

(Japan makes the top 10 two times, though)
Ezrach

Postby serekuro » Mon 08.21.2006 6:19 pm

aKuMu wrote:
and btw i dont know why everyone who sais he wants to do Animations or Video Game Programmer has to go to Japan. You can do it in the US too. Its not like you fly to Japan, go to Konami and say, hey, im from the USA and I want to make Metal Gear Solid 5. Take me i can speak a bit Japanese.

-agrees- I was like that until maybe september of last year. I honestly thought that the only place to do this was in Japan. I've found a place I want to work at it's a pretty big company too and it's only 45 minutes away.
serekuro

Postby serekuro » Mon 08.21.2006 6:27 pm

keatonatron wrote:
Once the baby-boomers start dying out, they'll stop straining the economy and there won't be a problem anymore :D

I've heard that a majority of them are very much against foreigners from fear of them " corrupting" Japan. So maybe another 10-20 years right? ._.
serekuro

Postby aoisatomi » Mon 08.21.2006 7:45 pm

I think if you want to go to Japan..you have to REALLY want it. You can't just uproot yourself and not have a passion. I don't care whatever people tell me her or there or wherever. Yes, I recognize that Japan is just as black as anyplace in the world. But I can't help that I love it, too. I love it enough to work off my butt every day to achieve my dreams and live there someday. Think if Japan is really that kind of place to you first.

Also, I think that if you DO decide to go to Japan, please make sure your well off with money and education. It will take time and patience, but you'll be better for it. Going off or doing something that extravagent will can and most likely will have reprocussions later in your life. Please think careful and wisely about your decisions now. I hope this helps you. ^_^
aoisatomi

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan