Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Few price questions

Few price questions

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Same boat, different story

Postby chiisu321 » Wed 09.06.2006 8:00 pm

keatonatron wrote:

For one year, you're looking at about $37,500 if you go home for the summer.

This is roughly equal to the tuition of a school like the University of Michigan which is about 40,000 a year.
What i'm trying to say with that is even some schools in the US are just as expensive. So, schools in the US aren't necessarily (sp?) cheaper, tuition wise, there are just cheaper options.
BUT, there are, of course,more expensive universities in Japan............or the US.=/

Even if you can afford the college fees, that still leaves transportation, insurance, accomodation, etc.
A visa is available to students but it only allows for 4hrs of work a day. I haven't figured out how, but that is supposed to cover for school fees. You will definately need an outside fund for living costs. You might get lucky and get a scholarship, but it shouldn't be counted on or anything.

I have looked at Temple's webpage in the past. It was never really a school i myself was interested in. (Also saying i wouldn't go there even if it were my only ticket to Japan). I have run into some forums about temple on other sites and heard that it is made to look much better (more prestigious) then it actually is. I can't remember where i was, but i remember seeing remarks from former students (mostly graduate) that were very unhappy with the system and poor instruction they reseived. I don't have any experience to back up my opinion, but wouldn't it defeat the purpose if you went to an american based school? I do believe temple has an english requirement and classes taught in english so chances are it would be VERY hard to avoid it.
If i ever find myself in that forum again, i'll post a link so you can read for yourself.
chiisu321

RE: Few price questions

Postby emingygurl » Wed 09.06.2006 8:11 pm

Thanks, I'd like to read those posts myself. ^_^ I've been thinking about just going to college here..do you know any universities that have a Japanese course? I've run by a few, but they're pricey universities. Thanks!
"It's not that I want to win, it's just that I don't want to lose."- Gackt
emingygurl

Postby keatonatron » Thu 09.07.2006 2:54 am

chiisu321 wrote:
This is roughly equal to the tuition of a school like the University of Michigan which is about 40,000 a year.

WOW school can be expensive.

I'm just now finishing my college education from an American college that is pretty well known (ranked amongst the US's top 20 universities by various publications). With in-state tuition and financial aid, the total price for all 4 years comes to an astounding: $36,000.

In America, you can get a really good education for fairly cheap. In Japan, the price starts at $30,000 per year and just goes up from there!
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Infidel » Thu 09.07.2006 3:18 am

it can be even cheaper if you do your first 2 years at a community college and then transfer for the last 2 years.

California community colleges were $13 per credit hour when I lived there. I heard it went all the way up to $26 per CH. So excepting fees and books, you can get an AA/AS degree for under $2000 in CA.

Here in Virginia the community college tuition and fees are $81/CH
Last edited by Infidel on Thu 09.07.2006 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby chiisu321 » Thu 09.07.2006 5:04 pm

Here is the page: http://www.gaijinpot.com/bb/showthread.php?t=27018

http://thejapanesepage.com/forum/viewth ... owstart=20
I think some of your questions may be answered here too. (if you haven't already looked.)
chiisu321

Postby paul_b » Thu 09.07.2006 5:11 pm

chiisu321 wrote:

[url=http://thejapanesepage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5016&rowstart=20]
I think some of your questions may be answered here too[/url]. (if you haven't already looked.)

I fixed your links. Now go see [wiki]How to Link[/wiki].
paul_b

Postby AJBryant » Thu 09.07.2006 8:40 pm

Chiiisu, that sig image is a bit beyond our standards. We limit sig images to 100 pixels in height. Please take care of this.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby emingygurl » Thu 09.07.2006 9:39 pm

Thanks Chiisu. ^_^ Honestly, I would really prefer to go to a University in Japan, but I can settle for one in the US AS LONG as they have a Japanese course. I haven't seen many, anyone happen to know any in Missouri? =P Thanks again for the links, checking them out now.
"It's not that I want to win, it's just that I don't want to lose."- Gackt
emingygurl

Postby chiisu321 » Fri 09.08.2006 3:41 pm

paul_b wrote:
chiisu321 wrote:

[url=http://thejapanesepage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5016&rowstart=20]
I think some of your questions may be answered here too[/url]. (if you haven't already looked.)

I fixed your links. Now go see [wiki]How to Link[/wiki].

Sorry. =[ I know how, i just forgot. I'm used to it being automatic.
chiisu321

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan