Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Is it true that the Japanese don't really like foreigners?

Is it true that the Japanese don't really like foreigners?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Is it true that the Japanese don't really like foreigner

Postby kohyin » Mon 11.13.2006 5:33 am

keatonatron,

It seems I offended someone again... Well, some were typos, but I changed them all into 日本語as I do not wish to offend you further. I thought I was clear about talking about a single 外人man who was very rude to me. And, I thought I was using the example to explain what I believe is important -- which is "respect" and "politeness" not where you are from. I guess, I failed as it seems you appear to be taking my story as another over-generalization of 外人.

Hey, I am a 外人here, and my visa clearly states as a permanent resident "alien" here. I am not offended. I think it's funny. Cheer up!

Peace :)
Last edited by kohyin on Mon 11.13.2006 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
緑@光陰
http://www.kohyin.com
署l署F、皆仲良くしましょう。
kohyin

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 11.13.2006 5:33 am

Personally, I don't mind the use of "gaijin" (capitalized or not) to refer to me. I do very much mind the use of "gaijin" (with or without さん) as a term of address.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby kohyin » Mon 11.13.2006 5:40 am

Mike-san,

I agree, it would be very impolite.

Peace :)
緑@光陰
署l署F、皆仲良くしましょう。
kohyin

Postby kohyin » Mon 11.13.2006 6:08 am

Wow! a Roppongi bar eh?.... that's creditable source.

That was a very long time ago...when I used to hang out with lots of my 外人friends. To come to think of it, I already had a tendency to be part of aliens... :o

Renewing my visa last week required me to present my alien registration proof. After unbuttoning my shirt and showing the clerk my 16 nipples, it didn't seem enough, so I handed her my 外人登録証 instead.

Your story reminds me of myself trying to get information on alien card here in USA. When I called up the agency, I was received by the answer "Oh no, we don't give information to aliens." That was my first time I was officially called "alien". I used think that the word alien belong to those outer-space creatures and/or beings. I really felt as though I suddenly grew tenticles or something. I have to admit that I felt very alienated at first, but then I came to think it was very funny. When, a year later, I received the official alien card, my spouse and I laughed about the fact that i was now a card carrying alien. Now we have a son who is born here. Lucky we don't have a religion about aliens. Otherwise, he could as well be an alien. But he is just a part muggle (did I spell it right?). ;)

p.s., people, please don't take me serious. It's not worse getting upset over the little details of what I write -- just in case I offend someone again...peace :)
緑@光陰
署l署F、皆仲良くしましょう。
kohyin

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 11.13.2006 6:38 am

I'll ask the question that every male here is dying to ask....

Is that you in your avatar?
Mike Cash

Postby Mukade » Mon 11.13.2006 8:06 am

Yes, it is.

Oh, wait...you weren't talking to me?
意味がなくてもええねん!
Mukade

Postby keatonatron » Mon 11.13.2006 9:02 am

kohyin wrote:
It seems I offended someone again...

I wasn't at all offended, as you can (hopefully) see from the last bit I added to my post. This is just one of my English-related pet peeves. Mike dislikes it when people use "would have" incorrectly, Tony goes insane when people write "romanji", and I get irritated when people incorrectly incorporate gaijin into their English writings (excessively).

If you're going to speak Japanese, speak Japanese. If not, stick to English. Mixing in one or two words makes you sound like an elitist. (Like the time I heard someone on the bus in America say "Oh my gawd, when Gackt looked at the camera all kawaiily I almost died!" *cringe*)

And capitalizing it turns it into a name or a nationality. Would you say "a Foreign man"?

(If you want to be 100% correct, it should also be in italics since it hasn't been adapted for wide use, but I can't expect to see that level of professionalism on the internet)
keatonatron

Postby Dehitay » Mon 11.13.2006 10:10 am

Mukade wrote:
Yes, it is.

Oh, wait...you weren't talking to me?

LMAO
Hey, Mukade, you're pretty cute. I could just eat you up
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby AJBryant » Mon 11.13.2006 1:29 pm

I do very much mind the use of "gaijin" (with or without さん) as a term of address.

How about 外人殿? Personally, I'm just happy we left 南蛮人 behind. Well, most of us, anyway. We all know at least one 野蛮人としての外人 in Japan.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby kohyin » Mon 11.13.2006 1:48 pm

Yes, that's myself from the photos taken 2 years-ago. Should I be using someone else's image???
緑@光陰
署l署F、皆仲良くしましょう。
kohyin

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 11.13.2006 1:58 pm

kohyin wrote:

Yes, that's myself from the photos taken 2 years-ago. Should I be using someone else's image???

lol, well, Mike has told us his avatar is not him.. So, on that basis, he is using someone else's image.
two_heads_talking

Postby kohyin » Mon 11.13.2006 2:04 pm

Code: Select all
I wasn't at all offended

I am relieved :D. I was beginning to think that I might not be welcome here... I guess I still don't understand the nuance of English lines.

If you want to be 100% correct

I don't dare to be 100% correct. I don't believe I can be, and I don't expect others to be 100% correct either. If I had to nit-pick my little mistakes that I make all the time, the life wouldn't be enjoyable :)
緑@光陰
署l署F、皆仲良くしましょう。
kohyin

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 11.13.2006 2:24 pm

kohyin wrote:

Only if it's a picture of somebody prettier than you are.
Mike Cash

Postby Sunken » Mon 11.13.2006 3:13 pm

May we by that token surmise that you are not as pretty as [whomever your avatar depicts]?

(And oh - no, that's not me in my avatar)
Sunken

Postby kohyin » Mon 11.13.2006 4:43 pm

Mike-san, that was the nicest response on my post I have received so far. You made my day!

Friends, I joined this forum because I was very impressed with the efforts put into it. Being a Japanese and learning other foreign languages myself, I thought I might fit in and even give some support if I could.

In the past couple of days, I found out that my English is inadequate, I have misconceptions in my own language, and my amateurism irritates some.

I guess that's me, an amateure. I appreciate professionalism and perfectionism. I even make attempts to inch up to the level sometimes . But, mostly, I enjoy being amateur. It's a lot easier to be imperfect. Otherwise, I tend to become over serious and no fun -- this reminds me that I should lighten up quite a bit for my son. I have been trying so hard to be a perfect mom that he might have been feeling like I am feeling right now... :o

Thanks guys, I think I learned the lesson ;)
Last edited by kohyin on Tue 11.14.2006 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
緑@光陰
署l署F、皆仲良くしましょう。
kohyin

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan