Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - A few small questions about the Working Holiday Visa.

A few small questions about the Working Holiday Visa.

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

A few small questions about the Working Holiday Visa.

Postby Pkl » Tue 10.03.2006 9:59 pm

Heya all,

I plan to apply for the Working Holiday Visa soon (as in this Friday) and I have a few questions/worries. Hopefully someone who has already applied for this visa, or who is just smarter than me can help me out.

I live in the U.K (not sure if that makes a difference to applications compared to other countries). I've written out my 6 month plan and my reason for wanting to apply, and I'm ALMOST sure they will be ok. The guidelines on what they want/expect are pretty vague though...just the one short sentence, so now I'm getting worried I've done something totally different to what they want. How much detail do they expect on the 6 month plan? They want a written reason on A4, will half a page be enough? Argh! etc etc.

As I said I've written it already, but if someone could put my mind at ease and give me a vague overview of what they wrote I'd really appreciate it.

Also I have a small niggle about the application form. Obviously applying for a Working Holiday Visa I'm not going to have a guarantor so I can safely leave that blank. However, I don't have a profession as such I just...work. I can guess a lot of blanks on the form are going to count against me, did anyone else have a problem like this?

If you can answer any of my questions, or even just throw a bit of advice my way I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks a bunch ;)
Pkl

RE: A few small questions about the Working Holiday Visa.

Postby keatonatron » Wed 10.04.2006 4:50 am

I'm not sure, but it seems like you should have some idea of what you want to do here before you apply. If you plan to just show up then figure it out, it's going to be really difficult (and it will look difficult on your application form). If you at least know what kind of job you will be doing, you can tailor your application form to fit that. I would say not declaring a profession is the biggest mistake you can make, because that would mean there's no reason to let you into the country. (again, it depends on what you plan on doing. Even if you end up writing "day laborer" because that's what you'll be doing, it's a lot better than nothing)
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby coco » Wed 10.04.2006 5:38 am

I think a half page would be enough. How about itemize with bigger font? :D Actually, we Japanese sometimes use B type paper size, like B5, B4.
A written reason for applying for a Working Holiday visa typed on A4 paper
so important word is "on A4". Don't worry, they just hate that you write it on B5 (or toilet paper).
Hope someone gives you more useful information.

あ。keatさんからお答えがありましたね。よかった。 ;)
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby Pkl » Wed 10.04.2006 9:53 pm

Thanks for the replies guys ^^

I was hoping for some info from other people who may have applied for a visa, but failing that, some confirmation from some other poeple with common sense is a close second ;) cheers.
Pkl

Postby Pkl » Thu 10.12.2006 9:49 pm

Hey all! Just letting you know that I did indeed get my Working Holiday Visa. It was suprisingly painless. Your answers helped, so feel good that you made my life better ;)

I'll be in Japan from November onwards, polluting the minds of English language students with my crazy approach to the language. Yay me! B)
Pkl

Postby keatonatron » Thu 10.12.2006 11:43 pm

Interesting:

mportant note: Working Holiday visas may be issued for up to 400 people in a Japanese financial year, that is, April through March. Therefore, at the time such a number of visas have been issued, acceptance for applications will close.

Looks like April would be the best time to apply.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Pkl » Sun 10.15.2006 4:26 pm

Actually, I was worried about this, but had no choice but to apply when I did because it took me a while to save the funds I needed.

However, when I phoned the consulate to see if they had any visas left, I was told that they hadn't issued the full amount in quite a few years. I was quite shocked that so few people could be interested in this.

So yeah, a note to anyone in the UK thinking of applying for this, they have visas available all year round. ;)
Pkl

Postby ebonyvampiria » Tue 12.05.2006 7:01 pm

where did you find the information about the working holiday visa? I am curious as I want to move to japan eventually...I am also wondering how easy it is to teach english, as in do you have to have degree's etc?
ebonyvampiria

Postby Kagemaru » Tue 12.05.2006 7:45 pm

Find the Japanese consulate in your country.

They will tell you everything you need to know about visas, in English too.

As for teaching English, there is something I forgot the name of thats good for looking that up, what was it, let me see.....

Oh yes!!

Google :|
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan