Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Working in Japan

Working in Japan

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Working in Japan

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 10.12.2006 11:45 am

Mike Cash wrote:

We're even allowed to have chewing gum.

but not allowed to chew it.. only the Japanese can chew gum.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby AJBryant » Thu 10.12.2006 11:56 am

But they require special ward-office training and oversight for the "walk while chewing" license.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 10.12.2006 1:10 pm

now why didn't i think of that?
two_heads_talking

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 10.12.2006 8:11 pm

Generally, you have to be of Japanese ancestry or have a Japanese spouse.

I don't have a college degree. But I do have a Japanese spouse. Otherwise, I would not be allowed to do the sort of work that I do.....or to remain here, for that matter.

There are a lot of companies that employ large numbers of foreigners for manual labor jobs (usually on a 3-5 year work visa) without needing a college degree. Usually these are 3K jobs that no Japanese people want, so it's easier to get permission from Immigration, especially in such large numbers. It's essentially like Nova for factory workers. Usually the companies recruit from Brazil or China, but marriage/Japanese relatives are not necessary. My friend used to work in the management of one of the factories around here, so I know a little about the process.

I also have a few Brazillian friends working in some of the factories around where I live. Usually, they come here on a work visa, work for 10 years, then get their 永住ビサ.
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Dehitay » Thu 10.12.2006 8:22 pm

3-5 years? har har, once again, my sources have proven themselves wrong. I thought work visas came in the range of 1-3 years. At least I got a year left to remain ignorant before I graduate
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 10.13.2006 3:02 am

Dehitay wrote:
3-5 years? har har, once again, my sources have proven themselves wrong. I thought work visas came in the range of 1-3 years. At least I got a year left to remain ignorant before I graduate

Sorry, I was included renewing in that. The work Visa is for 3 years at max, and sometimes the company will renew for an additional couple of years.
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby suhui » Fri 10.13.2006 11:11 am

But they require special ward-office training and oversight for the "walk while chewing" license.

? We need to practise chewing before we can chew chewing gum? Ar but that's far better over here in Singapore. Chewing gum is banned here. We only have mentos or mentoso..lol I don't know I don't eat candies..
Spoof!
suhui

Postby Dehitay » Fri 10.13.2006 11:25 am

the hell? Were too many idiots sticking it to stuff or spitting it on the streets? Do you know why they banned chewing gum?
Dehitay

Postby Oyaji » Fri 10.13.2006 11:47 am

Singapore is a very *fine* city.
Oyaji

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 10.13.2006 11:57 am

Dehitay wrote:
the hell? Were too many idiots sticking it to stuff or spitting it on the streets? Do you know why they banned chewing gum?

put it simply, like cigarettes, where do most people put gum when they are done with it? they spit it out and throw it on the ground. if 1 million people a day did that in one city, can you imagine the mess? as least with cigarettes, one can sweep them up.. gum doesn't come up so easy.
two_heads_talking

Postby creativity » Fri 10.13.2006 1:07 pm

I don't like chewing gum, so I'm quite happy for it to be banned :D
Music is a lullaby to my broken heart
creativity

Postby Dehitay » Fri 10.13.2006 6:31 pm

I probly chew it daily, but it's still worth banning if it keeps it off the streets, desks, chairs, trees, cars, telephone poles, walls, and countless other places I've seen it (including animals).
Dehitay

Postby Nischi85 » Mon 01.22.2007 7:02 am

It seems you guy's know a lot about these sort of things.

I already live in Japan. Currently studying Japanese at a Japanese language institute. (http://www.yamasa.org) for those interested.
Studied 7 months so far. Anyways. I will be studying for a total of 2 years (considered fulltime eduction, my exact programme is called Academic Intensive Japanese Program (AIJP)).
As many said before, and as others already pointed out, it seem's most people get the cart before the horse as to speak. And well, I might be somewhere around there also.
But, I have been told that if you already are in japan, and got a visa(not counting tourist visa). already living in the country. It's much easier to get a work visa since you are already here. I don't know if that is true at all.

But when I carefully read the requirements http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Living_in_Japan/Finding_a_Job at the top. I realise that it might be true, correct me if I'm wrong. But if I'm already here living, and say I get a fulltime work accepted.
Won't the company issue a working visa for me, or.. rather in my case, a change from student visa into work visa that is more likely to be accepted? Or is it stil no difference for the big guys up in the immigration bureau deciding who to let in and not?

I'm swedish, 21 years old, soon 22. Don't have much working experience to brag with except I used to build, serve, repair computers at a company a couple of summers.
Finished a Technical Programme with Upper Secondary School level.
I have lot's of computer experience, althou of course not a real degree as in bachelor's or master's degree. and of course in Japan degree's are everything.

I could teach english and swedish, if it weren't for that most places want native speakers in english, sadly enough since I speak well.
Would getting a TOIC test with good scores help me anything at all?

My problem, is that I have girl here, which I of course want to be able to stay with after I finish my studies in about 1.5 year. But I just don't know how.... marriage is a bit out of the league, I'm way too young for that in my oppinion. I'm prepared to do about anything since I feel this is the person I wanna live with.
How do I stay here? Please give me some good news, or is the bucket of cold water on the way already? :) hehe anyways. thanks for taking time reading.

cheers
Last edited by Nischi85 on Mon 01.22.2007 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nischi85

Postby Nischi85 » Mon 01.22.2007 7:38 am

I read around more and more on this forum. Trying to... well find a way to stay, seems like, there aren't much choice actually. Go home and die alone, or get a college degree... which could prove to be quite expensive since it will take 3 or 4 years of fulltime education in a foreign country on an already big fat loan, yaaay... okey smash me in the head until I die now, okey?
Nischi85

Postby hyperconjugated » Mon 01.22.2007 7:56 am

Nischi85 wrote:
I read around more and more on this forum. Trying to... well find a way to stay, seems like, there aren't much choice actually. Go home and die alone, or get a college degree... which could prove to be quite expensive since it will take 3 or 4 years of fulltime education in a foreign country on an already big fat loan, yaaay... okey smash me in the head until I die now, okey?

If you don't have the money, this may
help:http://www.japansamb.se/studier.htm
In your case this might be interesting if
it's not too late:
http://www.japansamb.se/monbukagakusho_undergraduatestudent.htm
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan