Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Any thing I need to know?

Any thing I need to know?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Any thing I need to know?

Postby neo2407 » Thu 10.12.2006 8:22 pm

Hi, next year (maybe around July, for 3 weeks) I am hoping (I'll find out by the end of the month...if I get a job) to go to Japan. Fukoka to be exact. And I was wondering if there is anything I need to know about customs etc.
I know a bit, but it's mostly about life at home, any info would help.

Some stuff I'd like to know about is school (as I will be going to a language school), and I'll be in a dorm with other people going to the language school and Japanese University students so would all that "I'm Leaving", "Take care" stuff still apply?

I may not be going, it depends if I get a job very soon. Aparently I have a 50/50 chance of getting a job before the end of the month. If I get this job then I am going!

Also the legal age for drinking alchol is 21 isn't it? My mother was kinda worried about me drinking while there lol.
neo2407

RE: Any thing I need to know?

Postby Oyaji » Thu 10.12.2006 8:48 pm

If you're only staying for three weeks there shouldn't be too much to worry about. You still have plenty of time, so I would suggest waiting until things are a little more definite and then posting again asking more specific questions.

The legal drinking age is 20.
Last edited by Oyaji on Thu 10.12.2006 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oyaji

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 10.13.2006 9:52 am

as for your mother worrying about you drinking, is that a problem? do you drink when you shouldn't? if you do then going to Japan just might worry her to death. the drinking age becomes irrelevent when you can purchase alchohol from vending machines that are all over the place.

If you lack self control, you might want to stay home. :D :o
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby neo2407 » Fri 10.13.2006 9:04 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
as for your mother worrying about you drinking, is that a problem? do you drink when you shouldn't? if you do then going to Japan just might worry her to death. the drinking age becomes irrelevent when you can purchase alchohol from vending machines that are all over the place.

If you lack self control, you might want to stay home. :D :o

No,no it's not a problem, I don't drink alcohol at all. Which is rare here lol I just wanted to make sure what the age was, I wasn't sure if it was 20 or 21.
I have alot of self control...plus I've never seen the attraction of alcohol, I mean drinking and drinking untill you make an absolute fool of yourself, and your sick all over yourself, the road or someone else...sometimes all three lol.
neo2407

Postby keatonatron » Fri 10.13.2006 10:19 pm

I always hated how everyone associated "drinking" with "getting drunk" in high school (or even college!). I enjoy drinking, but not so much that I lose control of myself.

So when people ask me "do you drink?" I don't really know how to answer.
keatonatron

Postby Infidel » Fri 10.13.2006 11:43 pm

I don't think I've ever been drunk in my life. A little buzzed, yes, but not drunk.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby tanuki » Sat 10.14.2006 12:00 am

keatonatron wrote:
I always hated how everyone associated "drinking" with "getting drunk" in high school (or even college!). I enjoy drinking, but not so much that I lose control of myself.

So when people ask me "do you drink?" I don't really know how to answer.

I know what you mean! When people ask me that, my answer is something like: "No. Or, well, sometimes, but I don't get drunk".

If I asked someone "do you drink?" and they replied with a direct "yes", I'd think they're an alcoholic.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Dehitay » Sat 10.14.2006 1:16 am

har har, I'm 0 mercy for calling some one an alcoholic. If you drink alcohol by choice, you're an alcoholic to me. Thing for me is that I'm well skilled at self-hypnosis, and it seems so easy to me that I don't understand why everybody can't just do that instead of intoxicate themselves. It can quickly bring you to a state of euphoria at a much cheaper rate, financially and physically.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby Infidel » Sat 10.14.2006 2:17 am

If you drink alcohol by choice, you're an alcoholic to me.

Sounds like your problem is a lack of dictionary skills.

Technically, alcholics don't necessarily drink until they get drunk. They just drink habitually. Someone that has a beer with every dinner is an alcholic by the medical definition, even if that person never gets drunk.

The problem is associating alcholism with drunkards. There is nothing inherently wrong with alchohol in moderation. In fact, research is accumulating to show that moderate alcholol intake is good for you, it is the abusers that make alcohol look bad.

Theres always a select few that make any group look bad.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

RE: And now for something completely different

Postby spin13 » Sat 10.14.2006 3:47 am

Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with drinking yourself into oblivion with known yakuza, missing your last train home, waking up face-down in a pile of dirty laundry, with somebody elses a beat up bicycle with two flat tires and a basket full of empties on your porch, a pocket full of convienence store receipts for said empties, and not remembering a damn thing past beer 12.

And no, there isn't a drop of sarcasm in that train-wreck of a sentence. Allow me to quote the Doctor to sum up my feelings:

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." -Hunter S. Thompson

Yours truly,
-Eric
spin13

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 10.14.2006 8:09 am

Dehitay wrote:
har har, I'm 0 mercy for calling some one an alcoholic. If you drink alcohol by choice, you're an alcoholic to me.

How does one drink it other than by choice?
Mike Cash

Postby paul_b » Sat 10.14.2006 8:32 am

Mike Cash wrote:
Dehitay wrote:
har har, I'm 0 mercy for calling some one an alcoholic. If you drink alcohol by choice, you're an alcoholic to me.

How does one drink it other than by choice?

Today's vocabulary word is ドーピング, which is somewhat more wide in meaning that the dictionary might have you think.
paul_b

Postby Sunken » Sat 10.14.2006 9:01 am

Gee, I always figured alcoholics were the people who didn't have a choice when it came to drinking, anymore...
Sunken

Postby keatonatron » Sat 10.14.2006 9:39 am

Everyone has a choice. Alcoholics choose to give in to the physical/mental dependence that their body has developed.
keatonatron

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 10.14.2006 10:06 am

keatonatron wrote:
Everyone has a choice.

I choose to have a double shot of Johnnie Walker Black Label and go to bed. I haven't been horizontal for two days.
Mike Cash

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan