Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Are you Japanese or American?

Are you Japanese or American?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Are you Japanese or American?

Postby chikara » Mon 11.06.2006 10:02 pm

Oyaji wrote:
..... Unfortunately some people seem to look for any excuse to take cheap shots at Americans...
"Cheap shots"? Tongue in cheek shots maybe. ;)

....I am quite sure that when an Australian in Melbourne says "American" he is not talking about someone from Bolivia.........

Very true. If you read my original post on this you will see that I do not refer to people saying that they are "American" but to people who say they are from "America".

In this country many news services refer to events in the USA as occurring in "America" and events in Bolivia as occurring in "South America". These same news services also show "cat stuck in tree rescued by fire brigade" stories as "current affairs" :o

Note to self: Remember American sense of humour very different to Australian sense of humour.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby lemonaid » Mon 11.06.2006 10:23 pm

I am from this crazy little country called Norway. Norway doesn't know if it wants to be a) a part of Europe, b) an american state, or c) a sovereign nation, but it seems to be leaning more towards b). Basically, Norway is just like any american state, except we don't have Starbucks or English as our first language. But I guess that is true for a few american states also.

A month ago I noticed that Western Union Bank had opened offices in my hometown, along with another 7 Eleven. I guess we are up to four now... in a city of 160 000 people. I didn't feel quite at home when I saw that.

So in reply to your question, geographically I live in Norway, but sometimes it feels like I'm smack dab in the middle of the USA...
lemonaid

Postby tanuki » Mon 11.06.2006 10:50 pm

chikara wrote:
In this country many news services refer to events in the USA as occurring in "America" and events in Bolivia as occurring in "South America".

In this country many news services refer to events in the USA as ocurring in "the United States" and events in Bolivia as ocurring in "here". ;)
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby chikara » Mon 11.06.2006 11:04 pm

tanuki wrote:
In this country many news services refer to events in the USA as ocurring in "the United States" and events in Bolivia as ocurring in "here". ;)

That makes sense.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby punkgrl326 » Mon 11.06.2006 11:19 pm

mangamanzero wrote:
I'm USamerican :|, but I usually say I'm jamaican B).'Cause thats where my family came from.
Not too much to be proud of in USamerica :|

I'm Jamaican American too, but I know next to nothing about Jamaica. Except the food :D. I'm not too proud of the US myself, well at least not NY. I'm planning to move to Canada once I finish college.
"Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily."

-Thomas Szasz
punkgrl326

Postby Oyaji » Mon 11.06.2006 11:49 pm

chikara wrote:
....I am quite sure that when an Australian in Melbourne says "American" he is not talking about someone from Bolivia.........

Very true. If you read my original post on this you will see that I do not refer to people saying that they are "American" but to people who say they are from "America".

chikara wrote:
Naiko-chan wrote:
I am an american.

Which America are you from? ;)

?

Note to self: Remember American sense of humour very different to Australian sense of humour.

I must admit I don't see the humor in being referred to as a septic tank. ;)
Oyaji

Postby Dehitay » Tue 11.07.2006 12:34 am

lemonaid wrote:
Norway is just like any american state, except we don't have Starbucks or English as our first language. But I guess that is true for a few american states also.

Actually, even Hawaii's primary language is English, so we're all primary English with tons of Starbucks everywhere. But that would be awesome if Norway became a state. I have always wanted to screw up the current American flag

I must admit I don't see the humor in being referred to as a septic tank

har har, I didn't either cause I was gullible enough to believe that's how they actually referred to us >=D
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby chikara » Tue 11.07.2006 12:37 am

I said my original post. The reference you selected was a tongue in cheek reference to my original post, hence the "wink".

Oyaji wrote:
I must admit I don't see the humor in being referred to as a septic tank. ;)

That's understandable my china plate but think of it in the context that people with red or ginger hair are called "Bluey" ;)
chikara

Postby Oyaji » Tue 11.07.2006 2:12 am

chikara wrote:
I said my original post.

I can't even keep track of my own posts, and you expect me to keep track of all of yours? :@ ;)

my china plate

:o

I think you have misunderstood me. I am not offended by any of this; I just find it kind of silly. :p

(It's threads like this that make me say to myself "Stick with the language and culture threads." I look forward to reading your posts in those forums. ;) )
Last edited by Oyaji on Tue 11.07.2006 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oyaji

Postby chikara » Tue 11.07.2006 2:30 am

Oyaji wrote:
I can't even keep track of my own posts, and you expect me to keep track of all of yours? :@ ;)

No, and to be honest I thought the original post was in this thread, so my bad.

I think you have misunderstood me. I am not offended by any of this; I just find it kind of silly. :p

I didn't think you were offended, I understood the inference of your *wink*. I thought you were offended when I mistakenly called you "Oyagi" :o

It is all rather silly. "Septic tank" is simply rhyming slang for "Yank" just as "china plate" is rhyming slang for "mate". We also often say the opposite of what we actually mean, as in calling someone with red hair "bluey".
chikara

Postby Ashurii » Tue 11.07.2006 4:42 am

Sumi wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:
mangamanzero wrote:
I'm USamerican :|, but I usually say I'm jamaican B).'Cause thats where my family came from.
Not too much to be proud of in USamerica :|

Then take your butt to somewhere you would be proud to be.

Hey, I'm not too proud to be an American either. Due to the government's potrayal of us, I wouldn't be. There is nothing wrong with not being proud of your country. Hell, over half of us aren't.

Completely different thing to not be proud of your government and to not be proud of your country.
Ashurii

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 11.07.2006 7:50 am

Sumi wrote:
I'm an American citizen, but my dad is a naturalized American citizen. He's from Kyotou and my mother is African American.

I bet they've got a list a mile long of stupid questions they're tired of hearing.

Hey, I'm not too proud to be an American either. Due to the government's potrayal of us, I wouldn't be. There is nothing wrong with not being proud of your country. Hell, over half of us aren't.

As Ashleigh pointed out, one shouldn't confuse the larger issue of one's nation and national identity with the issue of what person or party happens to be running the place at the moment.
Last edited by Mike Cash on Tue 11.07.2006 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Cash

Postby lemonaid » Tue 11.07.2006 12:02 pm

Dehitay wrote:
But that would be awesome if Norway became a state. I have always wanted to screw up the current American flag

Oh, the pain, the pain. My soul is bleeding profusely...
lemonaid

Postby Dehitay » Tue 11.07.2006 12:21 pm

lemonaid wrote:
Dehitay wrote:
But that would be awesome if Norway became a state. I have always wanted to screw up the current American flag

Oh, the pain, the pain. My soul is bleeding profusely...

As well it should be. I just realized you can't become part of the USA. Since your country isn't in America, we couldn't actually make you one of the United States of America. I know it's heart breaking, but you'll have to get over not being part of the world's most hated nation >=P. *urge to make political comment about certain other nation repressed*
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 11.07.2006 1:32 pm

Dehitay wrote:
...that would be awesome if Norway became a state. I have always wanted to screw up the current American flag

As usual in life, somebody is way ahead of you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_United_States#Future_of_the_flag

Youth and skill will never overcome old age and treachery.

I was gullible enough to believe that's how they actually referred to us >=D

"Seppo" is how Aussies actually refer to us. I've heard it lots.
Last edited by Mike Cash on Tue 11.07.2006 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Cash

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan