Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Goth?

Goth?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Goth?

Postby spin13 » Sun 11.05.2006 10:31 am

Mike Cash wrote:
Another fad I will be glad to see the death of.

The fun is going to be 20 or 30 years from now when the former goths' kids/grandkids dig through photo albums and find pictures.

Or, for the impatient, actually ask them what kind of goth they are. They'll usually reply with a dumb look or, a step up, "What's an ostrogoth?" Wait, that's not laughable...that's sad. My mistake.

If you can go to a chain store to buy your uniform of non-conformity, I think you've missed the point.

I've always been fond of the movie SLC Punk for a couple reasons. It was an enjoyable portrayal of the simultaneous necessity and futility of the punk movement. Here's an extract from what is essentially the beginning of the end of the movie. Back in the day, fairy-tale style, we called it a "moral." Whatever happened to those?

Brandy: You wanna be an individual, right? You look like you're wearing a uniform. You look like a punk.
That's not rebellion. That's fashion.
Stevo: Then what's rebellion?
Brandy: Rebellion happens in the mind.

Yours,
-Eric
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Native language: English

Postby Reno » Sun 11.05.2006 10:48 am

I actually found it that most goths deny their goths.

Me: So why are you into goth?
Goth: I'm not gothic! (says the crazy witch with the white make up and black eyeliner, black clothers, choker on her neck and everything else similar to S &M products_
Me: Then....what are you?
Goth: I'm.....alternative?

Yeah right!
Good luck with studying everybody and I hope one day I will be able to pick it back up.

Until then, a nice goodbye from me to you ;)
Reno

Postby Dehitay » Sun 11.05.2006 11:05 am

Reno wrote:

Goth: I'm not gothic! (says the crazy witch with the white make up and black eyeliner, black clothers, choker on her neck and everything else similar to S &M products_

Yeah right!

....har har, I wonder if I'm goth and don't know it then. My clothing is incredibly similar.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby datdo » Sun 11.05.2006 1:39 pm

Tegyrius wrote:
and lets not even start on the emo kids

emo will always be around. Even back in the Victorian Era there was the concept of emo... i.e. Hamlet: the ultimate emo.
[url=emosong.ytmnd.com]funny[/url]

Dehitay wrote:
....har har, I wonder if I'm goth and don't know it then. My clothing is incredibly similar.

no you where a trenchcoat if I remember so that makes you cool.
datdo

Postby AJBryant » Sun 11.05.2006 2:05 pm

Goths have goths? Or are they denying their *inner* goth? ;)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Takashi91 » Sun 11.05.2006 2:26 pm

hmm alot of teens like to be goth now days in Japan....i dont particulary like it, but i think it looks cool on some people if its not too EXTREME...

i personally like oshare kei ;)
Takashi91

Postby Shigeru » Sun 11.05.2006 4:48 pm

Very good point. :D
Shigeru

Postby ashitaka » Sun 11.05.2006 5:33 pm

hmm alot of teens like to be goth now days in Japan....i dont particulary like it, but i think it looks cool on some people if its not too EXTREME...

Well something good comes from not being in Japan right now.

I'm lucky that i don't have any goth kids in my class, but i do have an emo kid who is my best student, but he cries alot.
ashitaka

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 11.05.2006 6:20 pm

spin13 wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:
Another fad I will be glad to see the death of.

The fun is going to be 20 or 30 years from now when the former goths' kids/grandkids dig through photo albums and find pictures.

Or, for the impatient, actually ask them what kind of goth they are. They'll usually reply with a dumb look or, a step up, "What's an ostrogoth?" Wait, that's not laughable...that's sad. My mistake.

If you can go to a chain store to buy your uniform of non-conformity, I think you've missed the point.

I've always been fond of the movie SLC Punk for a couple reasons. It was an enjoyable portrayal of the simultaneous necessity and futility of the punk movement. Here's an extract from what is essentially the beginning of the end of the movie. Back in the day, fairy-tale style, we called it a "moral." Whatever happened to those?

Brandy: You wanna be an individual, right? You look like you're wearing a uniform. You look like a punk.
That's not rebellion. That's fashion.
Stevo: Then what's rebellion?
Brandy: Rebellion happens in the mind.

Yours,
-Eric

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Having read the forums on this site I can find consolation in at least fact: the average level of intelligence of posters, as indicated by their inability to communicate properly in their native language, means that most of the posters will never master Japanese or understand Japan's culture and are more likely to drown than to actually make it to her shores. Japan doesn't need them anyway.

Wow. Your need to be a snotty elitist extends right on into your wordy sig. That's impressive.

EDIT: Lines removed to fix width problem (running off the screen) -Keat
Last edited by Mike Cash on Tue 11.07.2006 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Cash

Postby tanuki » Sun 11.05.2006 6:36 pm

:o I hadn't read that signature.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby datdo » Sun 11.05.2006 6:49 pm

spin13 signed:
Having read the forums on this site I can find consolation in at least fact: the average level of intelligence of posters, as indicated by their inability to communicate properly in their native language, means that most of the posters will never master Japanese or understand Japan's culture and are more likely to drown than to actually make it to her shores. Japan doesn't need them anyway.

hey just cause I don't speak properly doesn't mean that I'm not smart. Its not easy starting two languages as child and having one of them randomly drop out. Now all that is left of that language are a few set phrases like 'I'll beat you(technically its I'll crack your head) if you don't eat it" and "bad kid." Now my english is messed up but I barely know any creole...woe is me.
datdo

Postby spin13 » Tue 11.07.2006 9:33 am

Mike Cash wrote:
Wow. Your need to be a snotty elitist extends right on into your wordy sig. That's impressive.

You are correct. It's not just a want, it's definitely a need. And when you need something that's a responsibility. That only an adult...of my maturity...BUNNIES!
Last edited by spin13 on Sun 11.12.2006 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 11.07.2006 10:22 am

Reno wrote:

Yeah right!

this is nothing different than the common typings that go on in schools everyday.. in the past you had greasers and jocks and brains, etc. now, there are just more categories with more subcategories within to confuse and confound the outsider.

goth is basically the general term for a huge subculture. like it or not, it is an alternative life, and some of them try so hard to be different that they don't realize they are just like everyone else..

as for emo, it's always confused me how a punk subculture ever turned into what it is today.. old punk was hardcore, in your face, destructive nature, while new punk is hardcore, in your face, self destructive nature.. I know blackflag is definately not happy with this.. and dead kennedys are pulling out what hair they have left .
two_heads_talking

Postby Dehitay » Tue 11.07.2006 10:42 am

emo is a culture? Damnit, somebody has to redefine emo for me again. I thought it was just a kid who couldn't control his emotions and got upset with things on a regular basis.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 11.07.2006 11:21 am

there was a discusson on that in another thread.. emo evolved to us from punk.. however, there are many that think emo stands for emotional, which is only the case when one isn't quite in the know.. (wink)..

a kid who can't control their emotions is called a teenager.. nothing really spectacular there :pat all.
two_heads_talking

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan