Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Temple University

Temple University

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Temple University

Postby Alpha9 » Fri 11.10.2006 2:00 am

こんにちは

I've been looking into trying to apply to some Japanese universities directly after I graduate from high school, but discovered it would require way too much, so I thought I would go through ASU or whatever and then just participate in the study abroad thing.

I really want to live in Japan to fully learn the language, and for some reason I felt extremely comfortable and it felt as though I was home when I was there this past summer. With the Japanese universities now practically out of the picture, I found out (through my Japanese teacher) Temple University in Tokyo.

Temple University is basically an American college located in Tokyo and I have already applied.

I'm wondering, has anyone heard of or actually attended this university and how was it?

Plus am I reading the application fee correctly? (\42,000?????)

ども
私は日本語がわかりません!!
あほ、危ない!!
Alpha9
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue 03.08.2005 11:36 pm

RE: Temple University

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Fri 11.10.2006 2:17 am

Ok your going to hear this from a billion other ppl. I personally Thought about doing the same thing.

First I dont reccomend it because you could go to an american college which is much more prestigious than 95 Percent if not more of Japanese Colleges.

2nd if your japanese isnt at a very good level you are NOT going to have a fun time living here. Sure the first two weeks will be cool but once all the culture shock and excitement settles down and you actually have to survive things can get really really rough.


I reccomend if anything majoring and or studying japanese in america. If you want come on an exchange during college and then if you really want to come back and get ur Masters somewhere in Japan. But again Id like to emphasize that A degree from an american college will get you a lot farther than one from a Japanese College.


Keaton knows WAY better than me since hes actully going to be attending a Japanese COllege so wait till he posts something.


Again im not trying to crush your dreams because I used to be in the same position. Im just being honest and very realistic. :)
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
User avatar
Matsumoto_hideto
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue 03.15.2005 9:13 pm

RE: Temple University

Postby keatonatron » Fri 11.10.2006 4:10 am

Matsumoto_hideto wrote:
Keaton knows WAY better than me since hes actully going to be attending a Japanese COllege so wait till he posts something.


Hahaha.

Actually, if you read the original post carefully you will see that he has given up on a Japanese university and has decided to go to Temple instead, which is a completely different issue.

Temple University is a very well-known school in Japan, simply because it is one of the only schools that offers classes in English. It will still be more expensive than going to school in the states, but it won't be nearly as difficult as a Japanese university.

What will you major in? If you're going to major in Japanese studies (language), then I think it would be a good choice. If you want to major in some non-Japan-related field and simply want to go to Temple because "it'd be fun to live in Japan," then I would have to say that's not a very good idea.

Can you tell us a little more about your plans after you graduate from college? Doing a whole 4 year program at Temple might be a bit much if you only want to brush up on, and not major in, Japanese. For something like that, I would recommend going to a Stateside university and taking Japanese for 3 years, then do an exchange for your 4th.
User avatar
keatonatron
 
Posts: 4838
Joined: Sat 02.04.2006 3:31 am
Location: Tokyo (Via Seattle)
Native language: English
Gender: Male

RE: Temple University

Postby Alpha9 » Fri 11.10.2006 2:15 pm

keatonatron wrote:

What will you major in? If you're going to major in Japanese studies (language), then I think it would be a good choice. If you want to major in some non-Japan-related field and simply want to go to Temple because "it'd be fun to live in Japan," then I would have to say that's not a very good idea.

Can you tell us a little more about your plans after you graduate from college? Doing a whole 4 year program at Temple might be a bit much if you only want to brush up on, and not major in, Japanese. For something like that, I would recommend going to a Stateside university and taking Japanese for 3 years, then do an exchange for your 4th.


Well I plan on majoring in International Affairs, along with Japanese (possibly have that as a minor). I'm not exactly sure what I want to do after college, I would love to be a free-lance journalist, but I'm still so undecided. Or I could work at an international firm as a translator, again not sure.

I am pretty sure I won't get into Temple, so I have already applied to various universities in the States, but if I were to go to Temple, I feel it would be much easier to learn Japanese there since I would be forced to speak it on a daily basis, as opposed to studying at a Stateside university where it wouldn't be a priority.
私は日本語がわかりません!!
あほ、危ない!!
Alpha9
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue 03.08.2005 11:36 pm

RE: Temple University

Postby keatonatron » Fri 11.10.2006 2:52 pm

Alpha9 wrote:
I feel it would be much easier to learn Japanese there since I would be forced to speak it on a daily basis


No, no you wouldn't. :p Pretty much all of your classmates would be Americans who would speak English during class. You'd probably become freinds with your classmates and hang out with them outside of class, so the only people you talk to are other Americans. You would definately have a chance to improve your Japanese, but it would be far from an immersion experience (at least, that's my prediction--I haven't attended there myself).
User avatar
keatonatron
 
Posts: 4838
Joined: Sat 02.04.2006 3:31 am
Location: Tokyo (Via Seattle)
Native language: English
Gender: Male

RE: Temple University

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Sun 11.12.2006 10:21 pm

keatonatron wrote:
Alpha9 wrote:
I feel it would be much easier to learn Japanese there since I would be forced to speak it on a daily basis


No, no you wouldn't. :p Pretty much all of your classmates would be Americans who would speak English during class. You'd probably become freinds with your classmates and hang out with them outside of class, so the only people you talk to are other Americans. You would definately have a chance to improve your Japanese, but it would be far from an immersion experience (at least, that's my prediction--I haven't attended there myself).


Definatley agree

If I were attending a gaijin school My japanese definatley would not have progressed as fast as it has.
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
User avatar
Matsumoto_hideto
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue 03.15.2005 9:13 pm

RE: Temple University

Postby sexyjunko » Sat 11.18.2006 12:55 am

My friend from Korea went to Temple in Tokyo and her Japanese is very good.
sexyjunko
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri 11.17.2006 8:13 am

RE: Temple University

Postby chiisu321 » Sat 11.18.2006 8:38 pm

My concern is your funding. I don't believe student visas are offered from Temple.
chiisu321
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon 07.17.2006 12:27 pm

RE: Temple University

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Sun 11.19.2006 8:44 am

chiisu321 wrote:
My concern is your funding. I don't believe student visas are offered from Temple.


how is that possible?
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
User avatar
Matsumoto_hideto
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue 03.15.2005 9:13 pm

RE: Temple University

Postby Alpha9 » Sun 11.19.2006 6:40 pm

Actually Temple works directly with the Japanese Immigration to work out visas to students who need them.... I'm filling out the application for it as we speak.
私は日本語がわかりません!!
あほ、危ない!!
Alpha9
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue 03.08.2005 11:36 pm

RE: Temple University

Postby chiisu321 » Sun 11.19.2006 8:48 pm

Alpha9 wrote:
Actually Temple works directly with the Japanese Immigration to work out visas to students who need them.... I'm filling out the application for it as we speak.
Then it seems I was misinformed. I haven't visited Temple's page in quite some time. I should have checked first.
chiisu321
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon 07.17.2006 12:27 pm

RE: Temple University

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Sun 11.19.2006 9:44 pm

I know I was thinking about it. How is it possible for students to study there if they cant get visas... didnt make sense.
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
User avatar
Matsumoto_hideto
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue 03.15.2005 9:13 pm

RE: Temple University

Postby parplex » Mon 03.19.2007 1:11 pm

An old thread, but I thought I would revive it and get some other people's opinions. I am acually going to Japan in two weeks to visit this school. I would have just over a years worth of work at most to get a Major in Asian Studies and a Minor in Japanese. Then I plan on returning stateside and finish my engineering degree.

1. As for the Visa, you do get a visa if you are a student(which was stated above I believe).
2. The degree is an American degree from Temple, so it acts like any other one you would get in the states.
3. Well I do believe most of the friends made would be American, the University is about 55% Japanese atm, who speak both english and Japanese so it would seem very possible to improve your Japanese.
And of course there is the option for homestay(although as I guessed, there is currently a longer waitlist then there are places availible and you can only do it for one term).


Any other comments on Temple?
meow
parplex
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun 06.18.2006 9:54 pm

RE: Temple University

Postby JadeFire19 » Sat 04.21.2007 6:18 pm

One thing that I'm surprised no one's mentioned yet, is that Temple's main campus is in Philadelphia. So you could always apply and attend there, and then do a semester or year abroad at their Tokyo campus. That may end up being what I do. I've only just really started looking at colleges (I'm a junior in HS), but currently Temple is my first choice.
JadeFire19
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 3:11 pm

RE: Temple University

Postby Tesu » Thu 04.26.2007 11:06 pm

Matsumoto_hideto wrote:

2nd if your japanese isnt at a very good level you are NOT going to have a fun time living here. Sure the first two weeks will be cool but once all the culture shock and excitement settles down and you actually have to survive things can get really really rough.


This is at least the second time Ive seen a post from you where you say this, and I want to point out that its complete nonsense. Although I think that learning the Japanese language is something a person should do when living in Japan, saying it is not still enjoyable without that ability is complete rubbish.

As for Temple, I was actually there a few weeks ago funnily enough to sit an exam. Seemed a nice enough place, but I didnt explore too much
User avatar
Tesu
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu 04.27.2006 5:08 pm

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests