Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 「メロンパン」なのに

「メロンパン」なのに

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

「メロンパン」なのに

Postby Oyaji » Sat 11.11.2006 11:45 am

The other day my wife brought home a bag of メロンパン (melon bread). I've never really liked these dome shaped lumps of bread with a sweet crust on top, but I was hungry, so I decided to eat one anyway. Half way through, I realized I couldn't detect any melon flavor.

Me: 「メロン味あまりせんね」
Wife: 「そうばい。メロンの味がするから「メロンパン」というんじゃないばい。」

My mind immediately locked up when I tried to process what she was saying. Seeing my eyes glaze up, my wife continued:

Wife: 「メロンの形に似ちょうき「メロンパン」という」

I tried to untie the knot in my brain. チョコパン has chocolate in it; クリームパン has cream (of a sort) in it; クルミパン has walnuts in it, but standard メロンパン has no melon in it - not even artificial flavoring. I checked wikipedia and it confirmed what she said (of course): melon bread gets its name from its shape, not its flavor. :o

I have since conducted a mini survey, and there are a surprising number of people in Japan (including my sons and most of their friends) who believe they have been eating melon flavored bread, when in fact they haven't.

There is 「メロン味のメロンパン」"melon flavored melon bread" (that should be a redundancy, but it isn't) out there, which I'm sure I've eaten, and that has no doubt added to the confusion.

Just thought I'd let you know.
Last edited by Oyaji on Sat 11.11.2006 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oyaji

RE: 「メロンパン」なのに

Postby keatonatron » Sat 11.11.2006 1:06 pm

That is interesting! I've never had メロンパン before, but I've often seen it at the store and I had always assumed it was melon flavored :o
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Zounoko » Sat 11.11.2006 2:00 pm

Reminds me of a story from a great book called _Mindless Eating_. (The book really is fun -- the author runs a food lab and does experiments to see how much and what kinds of foods people eat under various controlled conditions...) But on to the story.

During WWII the chief cook (galley officer? I don't know the terminology) on a US Navy warship discovered that he hadn't received enough cherry jello before the ship sailed. There was lots of lemon jello, but quite soon, no cherry.

Pretty soon sailors were really tired of lemon jello. A fight even broke out over it.

Since the guy couldn't get resupplied, he finally decided to simply color the lemon jello red. He did. Now that it was red, sailors believed it really was cherry jello, despite the fact that it (of course) still must have tasted like lemon jello. No one came up to the cook and complained. In fact, many people told him they were glad he'd managed to get some cherry jello.

Moral of the story: We often taste what we expect to taste. (And yeah, there are at least ten more illustrations of the principle in the book -- controlled experiments rather than anecdotes.)

The Elephant's Child
Zounoko

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 11.11.2006 7:34 pm

Had to be lemon-lime. There was no lemon Jell-O in the WWII years.
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 11.13.2006 11:18 am

I had originally thought the sugar crystals were flavored. Looks like that assumption was wrong.. very interesting Oyaji.
two_heads_talking

Postby Armon » Mon 11.13.2006 12:06 pm

Mike Cash wrote:

Acording to the history of Jell-O on the Kraft's website, Lemon was one of Jell-O's original flavor.
ljvg.blogspot.com -- Learn Japanese for Video Games -- The first website dedicated to teaching Japanese for playing video games.
Armon

Postby keatonatron » Mon 11.13.2006 12:19 pm

Mike Cash wrote:

Yeah, they had to ration the lemons, but there were plenty of lemon-limes to go around.
keatonatron

Postby Kagemaru » Mon 11.13.2006 12:40 pm

Oyaji wrote:
I have since conducted a mini survey, and there are a surprising number of people in Japan (including my sons and most of their friends) who believe they have been eating melon flavored bread, when in fact they haven't

On that mini survey of yours, put me down as another one of those suckers believing there to be a vestige of melon...
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby Mukade » Tue 11.14.2006 10:33 pm

なるほど。

All this time I was trying to figure out if I was just culinarily challenged, or if I had destroyed all my tastebuds with alcohol...

Thank you for helping clear up a decade-long neurosis.

-------

And by the way, <turning up his Southern accent> yur waife sher tawlks funneh.
意味がなくてもええねん!
Mukade

Postby Rounin T » Wed 11.15.2006 4:00 pm

うるさい、うるさい、うるさい! メロンの味をするからメロンパンと呼ぶわ!
Rounin T

Postby chchan45 » Thu 11.16.2006 9:18 pm

Well, pineapple buns don't contain any pineapples either, so melon pan is not the only exception.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pineapple_bun
Reading 李香蘭 私の半生

Please note that:
1. English is not my first language.
2. I am not Japanese. I am prone to making mistakes so please point them out if you see any.
chchan45

Postby tanuki » Thu 11.16.2006 9:26 pm

And [url=en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotted_dick]Spotted Dick[/url] doesn't contain any...

...I hope it doesn't contain any...
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby shin1ro » Sat 11.18.2006 3:45 pm

Oyaji wrote:
I have since conducted a mini survey, and there are a surprising number of people in Japan (including my sons and most of their friends) who believe they have been eating melon flavored bread, when in fact they haven't.

Since I knew メロンパン doesn't have melon flavor, I'd been wondering why it was called (or why it was allowed to be called) as メロンパン... It's only a few years since I've come to know the reason.... I don't fully agree yet that its shape is like a melon.... mmm :(

-shin1ro
Last edited by shin1ro on Wed 11.22.2006 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
英語がおかしければご指摘ください(日本語も...)。サンキュ〜 ;-)
shin1ro

Native language: Japanese

Postby two_heads_talking » Sat 11.18.2006 4:22 pm

tanuki wrote:
And [url=en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotted_dick]Spotted Dick[/url] doesn't contain any...

...I hope it doesn't contain any...

Well of course it does and you garnish it with currents..
two_heads_talking

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Sun 11.19.2006 8:45 am

Omg how dare you insult the melon pan. Thats all I eat here in japan... Im heartbroken now...:」
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan