Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 7-5-3

7-5-3

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: 7-5-3

Postby ashitaka » Wed 11.15.2006 8:25 pm

I already have two! My hands are full for the moment, but thanks for the wishes anyway.

Well if you already have two then only 13 more to go :D .
And they better be as cute as your doughter.

The gods love sake, my friend! ;)

They have good taste, as for me i have to stick with this sake in the USA :( .
ashitaka
 
Posts: 456
Joined: Sun 10.30.2005 1:08 pm

RE: 7-5-3

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 11.16.2006 7:48 am

Mukade wrote:
I know, I know. I've had scenes from 'Father of the Bride' flashing through my head ever since she was born... :(


My daughter has been repeatedly told over the years (she's 11 now) that she is forbidden to ever marry.

My first words to her, after getting wiped clean by the nurses, were:
ボイフレンド、あかんで!


My first words to my daughter, after a kiss and "I love you" were "Do you like George Jones?"

Mike Cash wrote:
Mrs. Mukade and the Center of Mukade's Universe


Is it that obvious?


I would despise you if you tried to say she's not the center of your universe.

Man, I guess it's time to admit it. I'm such an oyabaka people around me get physically ill...


Any man who doesn't totally and firmly believe that his daughter is the most beautiful, sweet, and precious creation of all time deserves to have his Father Card revoked and should be soundly horsewhipped in public.
Last edited by Mike Cash on Thu 11.16.2006 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Mike Cash
 
Posts: 2737
Joined: Sun 08.20.2006 3:38 am
Native language: English

RE: 7-5-3

Postby Mukade » Thu 11.16.2006 9:20 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
Any man who doesn't totally and firmly believe that his daughter is the most beautiful, sweet, and precious creation of all time deserves to have his Father Card revoked and should be soundly horsewhipped in public.


A lot of folks have made fun of me for being so gah-gah over my daughter. I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one that feels that way.

But you know, Mike...I never pictured you to be such a softy...
意味がなくてもええねん!
User avatar
Mukade
 
Posts: 775
Joined: Fri 02.18.2005 3:30 am
Location: Osaka
Native language: English
Gender: Male

RE: 7-5-3

Postby Mike Cash » Fri 11.17.2006 4:49 am

Mukade wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:
Any man who doesn't totally and firmly believe that his daughter is the most beautiful, sweet, and precious creation of all time deserves to have his Father Card revoked and should be soundly horsewhipped in public.


A lot of folks have made fun of me for being so gah-gah over my daughter. I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one that feels that way.


There are those of us who admit and embrace it.
There are those of us who feel it yet deny it.
And there are those of us who should be horsewhipped.

But you know, Mike...I never pictured you to be such a softy...


I am possessed of a great deal of affection, compassion, and empathy. I just don't cheapen and dilute it by spreading it around willy-nilly.

And, by the way, I am here to tell you that there will never be anything in your life that you will more deeply miss than a 3-4 year old daughter. And you will never in your life know a greater sense of sadness or loss than the first time she refuses to take your hand while walking in public. In my case it came when she entered the first grade.
Last edited by Mike Cash on Fri 11.17.2006 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Mike Cash
 
Posts: 2737
Joined: Sun 08.20.2006 3:38 am
Native language: English

RE: 7-5-3

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 11.17.2006 10:43 am

don't worry Mike, as they grow older they will hold your hand..

My 11 year old does it constanty.. and my 15 year old does it as well.. I find that the younger kids are the cute kids but as they get older, your affection and love for them grows and their feelings for you grow as well. They just need to the time to work out those feelings as they don't have the benefit of the years and maturity that we as parents do..

you say there is no greater loss than when she refuses to take your hand.. how about when you take her by the hand, escort her to her fiance and let go of that hand as she takes another in holy matrimony..

to date though, one of the greatest moments I had with my daughter was buying her a corsage and taking her to her first homecomeing dance. I even escorted her inside, but quickly stepped into the shadows as her friends and she waked into the gaggle of people and were soon lost to my sight.. And nothing is more fun that waiting up for her, when she is out with her friends..
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

RE: 7-5-3

Postby Sachi » Fri 11.17.2006 11:28 am

You people are making me feel bad about getting married ^^;; It'll probably be 10 or more short years 'til that, but...

Mukade, your daughter is adorable ^^ And I've also never heard of this ceremony; thank-you for the info and pictures! :)
User avatar
Sachi
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue 10.18.2005 4:12 pm

RE: 7-5-3

Postby Mike Cash » Fri 11.17.2006 1:18 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
don't worry Mike, as they grow older they will hold your hand..

My 11 year old does it constanty.. and my 15 year old does it as well..


Correct me if I'm wrong..... You have American kids who grew up in American society, right? I have Japanese kids who are growing up in Japanese society. The fact that their old man is American doesn't make as much difference to their psyche as you seem to think it does.

I find that the younger kids are the cute kids but as they get older, your affection and love for them grows and their feelings for you grow as well. They just need to the time to work out those feelings as they don't have the benefit of the years and maturity that we as parents do..


It isn't an issue of degree of mutual regard. It's a matter of two entirely different sets of societal norms. She's still just as affectionate as she ever was at home. One step outside the door and it's a whole different story.

you say there is no greater loss than when she refuses to take your hand.. how about when you take her by the hand, escort her to her fiance and let go of that hand as she takes another in holy matrimony..


Not even in jest will I entertain such a repugnant thought.
User avatar
Mike Cash
 
Posts: 2737
Joined: Sun 08.20.2006 3:38 am
Native language: English

RE: 7-5-3

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 11.17.2006 1:57 pm

Mike Cash wrote:


Correct me if I'm wrong..... You have American kids who grew up in American society, right? I have Japanese kids who are growing up in Japanese society. The fact that their old man is American doesn't make as much difference to their psyche as you seem to think it does.
either that or you should give them more credit..


Mike Cash wrote:
It isn't an issue of degree of mutual regard. It's a matter of two entirely different sets of societal norms. She's still just as affectionate as she ever was at home. One step outside the door and it's a whole different story.


there are times my children do that as well. Again, I wasn't specifically going for the whole social aspect, that seems to be your specific focus. I haven't had your specific social experience nor have you mine of course had I tried to draw any comparrisons to social aspects I would have been a fool. You have on more than one occassion reminded me, not that is it necessary, that my children and I are not Japanese..


Mike Cash wrote:
Not even in jest will I entertain such a repugnant thought.


it's a good thing our parents didn't think that way..
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

RE: 7-5-3

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 11.18.2006 7:03 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:


Correct me if I'm wrong..... You have American kids who grew up in American society, right? I have Japanese kids who are growing up in Japanese society. The fact that their old man is American doesn't make as much difference to their psyche as you seem to think it does.
either that or you should give them more credit..


Mike Cash wrote:
It isn't an issue of degree of mutual regard. It's a matter of two entirely different sets of societal norms. She's still just as affectionate as she ever was at home. One step outside the door and it's a whole different story.


there are times my children do that as well. Again, I wasn't specifically going for the whole social aspect, that seems to be your specific focus. I haven't had your specific social experience nor have you mine of course had I tried to draw any comparrisons to social aspects I would have been a fool. You have on more than one occassion reminded me, not that is it necessary, that my children and I are not Japanese..


Only when you make it necessary.

Or do you somehow think that my children when out and about in Japanese society with their old man are going to behave toward in ways which go against the grain in Japanese society? It is acceptable for American kids (girls, especially) to continue taking their parent's hand when walking in public well past the age at which Japanese kids stop. Your kids are Americans in America, so they keep on doing it past the age at which my Japanese kids in Japan have stopped. It flies in the face of reason to think that just because my kids have American blood that they would do differently or that because I am American I would expect them to do otherwise.


Mike Cash wrote:
Not even in jest will I entertain such a repugnant thought.


it's a good thing our parents didn't think that way..


I'm not quite as in earnest about that as I may appear. I'm enough of a pragmatist to realize that my daughter will grow up and away from me and that she will have her own life as an adult, one which hopefully will continue through many happy and healthy decades after her old man is gone. I just prefer not to think of it until grim reality forces it upon me. There's so little I get enjoyment out of in my life, so allow me to cling to my oyabaka days as long as I can. Surely that's not asking too much.
Last edited by Mike Cash on Sat 11.18.2006 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Mike Cash
 
Posts: 2737
Joined: Sun 08.20.2006 3:38 am
Native language: English

RE: 7-5-3

Postby two_heads_talking » Sat 11.18.2006 9:32 am

I guess i see all the things my kids do as enjoyable, even when I am a bit dissappointed in their choices.. After all, it is their choices they are making. whether it be in Japan or in America or in Africa. Alittle one learns from their parents and then based on their upbringing becomes and adult that can make their own decisions.

would that I could keep my children in their innocence. I would wish nothing greater on them, especially in the swirling maelstrom of chaotic influences smashed against them day in and day out. but I also am Pragmatic in the fact that I know that can never happen. As much as I wish they could stay eternally frozen in such a state, I realize that all I can do is teach and nurture them, stand by them in everything they do, counsel them and regardless of society, support them as they grow and innevitably let go.

My reply earlier was not to remind you of any innevitability, but to instill or remind you of the hope of youth. IF I did anything that did not do that, then I errored and my words were vain.

Sometimes, I forget, that my experiences are not what others have.. But also, i might have them remember that those experiences are not so distantly different. Except maybe when we focus too much on our own little space on the shelf and realize that the dust is so deep around us because our comfort has caused us to not move it, that we don't realize that we share that shelf with others..

That is my or was my point..
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

RE: 7-5-3

Postby Sumi » Sat 11.18.2006 12:50 pm

Mukadeさん、美しい娘を持っています。少し栄典を思い出しています、大きくありませんけど。
ねえ、あのう、弟さん、ここに遊んじゃだめだよ。あそこは酸があるんだよ。
User avatar
Sumi
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Thu 01.05.2006 11:34 pm

RE: 7-5-3

Postby punkgrl326 » Sat 11.18.2006 2:16 pm

Aww, your daughter's so cute :D
"Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily."

-Thomas Szasz
User avatar
punkgrl326
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Mon 02.13.2006 6:37 pm

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests