Don't say Aishiteru if you like a Japanese girl

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Don't say Aishiteru if you like a Japanese girl

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 12.06.2006 10:21 am

Matsumoto_hideto wrote:
Matsumoto_hideto wrote:

「ただ、君を愛してる」

and BOOM like that shes all over you.

Iono if any of you knew but thats the chorus to a popular song in japan right now. I was joking.

and no Mike unfortunatley I dont know your friend GhettoCities

Iono? is that some sort of code for I don't know? As for your joke, without setting up a joke, the punchline loses it's impact. In this case the impact was dreadfully lacking..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby keatonatron » Wed 12.06.2006 12:07 pm

Matsumoto_hideto wrote:
Matsumoto_hideto wrote:

「ただ、君を愛してる」

and BOOM like that shes all over you.

Iono if any of you knew but thats the chorus to a popular song in japan right now. I was joking.

and no Mike unfortunatley I dont know your friend GhettoCities

You know it's pretty bad when someone starts quoting themself.

And Mike, that was a good thought, but "disleg" would mean to remove her whole leg, whereas "disarm" simply means to remove her weapon, wherever it may be.
Last edited by keatonatron on Wed 12.06.2006 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keatonatron

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Thu 12.07.2006 11:19 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
I have something to thank Jesus for in my prayers tonight.

Quite unfortunate that you have nothing better to be thankful for.
Last edited by Matsumoto_hideto on Thu 12.07.2006 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby TheIrishSin » Fri 12.08.2006 12:00 am

"Love is a many splendid thing!
Love lift us up where we belong!
All you need is love!"

Since I'm currently to lazy to read all posts except for the beginning one, I must comment that I for one say "I love (wuv) you" to nearly all my female friends, its become more like a habit then anything, its weird and I haven't even thought of how much the word greatest word in the world has changed. So many people use the word that its just hard to tell when your truely in love.

:( *Sigh.* :(
TheIrishSin

Postby datdo » Fri 12.08.2006 1:59 am

a lot of my asian (well they're all chinese...does that count?...) friends kinda get... I don't know...offended when people use the phrase "I love you." To get stop people using it, they introduced new phrases to the school like "I platonically love you" or "I plub you" for short....the phrases were shortlived...well except for plub which is still used...
datdo

Postby keatonatron » Fri 12.08.2006 12:46 pm

I really don't want to be 'plubbed'. I don't care what it means.
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 12.08.2006 1:57 pm

getting offended when someone says "I love you" makes about as much sense as getting offended when someone puts sugar and milk on rice.. it may not be your cup of tea, but hell, if you aren't forced to eat it, why make a deal about it?

if your choice is to not say "I love you" why get upset with the person who likes to use that phrase?
two_heads_talking

Postby Dehitay » Fri 12.08.2006 3:26 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
getting offended when someone says "I love you" makes about as much sense as getting offended when someone puts sugar and milk on rice.. it may not be your cup of tea, but hell, if you aren't forced to eat it, why make a deal about it?

if your choice is to not say "I love you" why get upset with the person who likes to use that phrase?

because on numerous occasions, they're just lying
Last edited by Dehitay on Fri 12.08.2006 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 12.08.2006 3:51 pm

I was speaking about other people telling it to each other.. Not someone telling it to you.

If the person telling you they love you is lying, why are you there in the first place? lying with them? (oh that is a bad bad bad pun... lol)
two_heads_talking

Postby spin13 » Sat 12.09.2006 12:38 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
If the person telling you they love you is lying, why are you there in the first place? lying with them? (oh that is a bad bad bad pun... lol)

Stop lying. That is a fantastic pun.
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 12.09.2006 7:55 am

Matsumoto_hideto wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:
I have something to thank Jesus for in my prayers tonight.

Quite unfortunate that you have nothing better to be thankful for.

If you knew him, you'd understand why it would top the list.
Mike Cash

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Sun 12.10.2006 11:43 pm

Mike Cash wrote:

If you knew him, you'd understand why it would top the list.

still working on that...its on my to do list. After turing vegan, and finding the cure for cancer.

unless you could give me some shortcuts. That would help I guess.
Last edited by Matsumoto_hideto on Sun 12.10.2006 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby AJBryant » Mon 12.11.2006 11:43 am

Love is a many splendid thing!

<quibble>Love is a many splendored thing!</quibble>

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Styledatol » Tue 12.26.2006 10:33 pm

I used to use those words quite often. Most of the time it was as a joke when one of my female friends would do something nice for me. I used it quiet alot when I was talking with my girlfriend (God I was so dumb back than).

Since there are many levels of love (love to parents, friends, teachers, siblings) I will concentrate on the love a man and a woman might express to each other. While all those types of love have a common factor to them we can safely agree that a love of a man to a woman is a unique relationship that is unlike anything else. When a man and a woman truly love each other, their relationship transcends the purely emotional plane and that love is also expressed physically (Having sex and having sex with someone you love are two completely different things, but that's going off-topic too much).

While we are at our youth we begin to discover love towards people who are not in our family, most of the time its a result of hormones rather than anything else; But, as we pass through relationships we begin to learn new things about love. I believe that at some points we begin to realize (most of us, anyway) that 'love' is not the thing we believed it to be in our youth. We waste those precious words by thoughtlessly throwing them at any person we like (like=/=love), providing not only those around us, but also ourselves, with false expressions of affection.

Today's American teenagers are the perfect example for my point: Boys and girls date for the sake of dating, not for love, they do it because its cool, they do it because everyone does it, but most of all they do it because it satisfies their sexual needs.
Lets review the main types of boy-girl relationships:
1. The Hook up - A boy meets a good looking girl, they hook up and break after few weeks/months
2. A common ground - A boy meets a girl who might or might not be good looking, they have something in common, they date for a period of several months/few years and break up.
3. The anime relationship - A boy and a girl are friends for a long time (childhood friends perhaps). At some point their friendship becomes quiet intimate and they fall for each other, living happily ever after. (This occurs mainly in animations and cheesy drama movies).
4. Love from first sight - Same as number 3 only that the two met not long ago and fallen for each other from first sight.
We can safely assume that number 1 occurs 90% of the time, while number 3 and 4 occur probably less than 2% of the times.

In my eyes true love is an endangered creature, that is rarely seen, and as we progress further into the 21st century, the younger generations are brainwashed with messages that encourage them to be promiscuous and seek relationships for the sake of sexual pleasure rather than love; From that we can assume that unless there is a turn in today's culture, true love will become even more rare, and we will be hearing 'I love you' everywhere, knowing that the person who said it probably just wants to get hooked up with the receiver of his 'affectionate' words.
For those reasons, and others I probably forgot to mention I have not used the words 'I love you' I almost a year now.

Since love is an emotion, a phenomenon which eluded even the wisest of men, and is something that cannot be explained by any logical mean. Every person has his own idea of what love means; Therefore arguing on this matter is really useless, all we can do is consider each other's opinions without trying to find the absolute truth.

Sorry for the long rant, this matter is a bit touchy...
Styledatol

Postby kohyin » Tue 12.26.2006 11:19 pm

Back to the original post...

I have not heard a Japanese man say "愛してる" yet. Of course it is my personal experience, and it means pretty much nothing. However, I have seen it written on a note paper, a library card, and so on. Don't underestimate the romantic minds of Japanese teen-age boys.

Back to the more recent posts, I think it is important to communicate how you feel about your beloved ones. It is always nice to be reminded that you are loved.
緑@光陰
http://www.kohyin.com
署l署F、皆仲良くしましょう。
kohyin

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan