Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Don't say Aishiteru if you like a Japanese girl

Don't say Aishiteru if you like a Japanese girl

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Don't say Aishiteru if you like a Japanese girl

Postby mangamanzero » Mon 11.27.2006 2:09 am

I take love literally... if i tell someone i love them, i means i really have special relationship/feelings with/for you. it means that you make me, mind and soul, soar and my heart sing, its when i cant even use words to describe how i feel...
just as a kiss is more than a kiss, not for physical pleasure, but to show my affection, my adoration , my love.

so that was as close as i can get using words...
Last edited by mangamanzero on Mon 11.27.2006 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
i'm MegaMangaMan's brother
(he's not cool though)
mangamanzero

Postby mangamanzero » Mon 11.27.2006 2:21 am

Mr Hensha, i know what you mean i have to KNOW the girl and not just aquaintence either, it has to be a process...
i'm MegaMangaMan's brother
(he's not cool though)
mangamanzero

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Mon 11.27.2006 6:31 am

I totally agree.

Last year, when I had graduated highschool, I was talking on the phone with one of my friends, and I said that I was going to miss all our friends from highschool. I even said I loved them all.

Afterwards I felt really cheap. Truth is, I didn't love any of them, really. I felt like I had somehow lowered the value of the word 'love' by using it so liberally.

Meh, maybe I'm just weird. :D But I really do think that 'love' should be used only when people really mean it. I really like the idea of the Japanese language only using it in true love situations.

I'm such a hopeless romantic ... but that's another story ^_^
Last edited by prep_girl_Nessa on Mon 11.27.2006 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 11.27.2006 8:02 am

neo2407 wrote:
ashitaka wrote:
Oh I have an idea, buy two ice cream cones and then tell a girl "I have no one to share this ice cream with." Ahhhh....The joys of ice cream.

In all of human history, has that ever actually worked?

For the vast, vast majority of human history I feel certain that the ice cream ploy yielded a zero success rate.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 11.27.2006 8:05 am

prep_girl_Nessa wrote:

Last year, when I had graduated highschool, I was talking on the phone with one of my friends, and I said that I was going to miss all our friends from highschool. I even said I loved them all.

Afterwards I felt really cheap. Truth is, I didn't love any of them, really.

I graduated high school in 1983. When the question of my attending reunions has come up, my thoughts have always been, "I couldn't stand most of you bastards when I went to school with you. Why would I make a special trip to see you again?"
Mike Cash

Postby keatonatron » Mon 11.27.2006 8:52 am

Mike Cash wrote:
I couldn't stand most of you bastards when I went to school with you. Why would I make a special trip to see you again?

To show off and make those bastards see how dumb they are :D

So many people that I went to school with thought they were so cool and wouldn't take the time to talk to me because I wasn't "popular", but now they're working at the local grocery store and pumping out babies while I've been travelling the world having an exciting life. It's always interesting to see where the cool kids end up.
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 11.27.2006 11:24 am

keatonatron wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:
I couldn't stand most of you bastards when I went to school with you. Why would I make a special trip to see you again?

To show off and make those bastards see how dumb they are :D

So many people that I went to school with thought they were so cool and wouldn't take the time to talk to me because I wasn't "popular", but now they're working at the local grocery store and pumping out babies while I've been travelling the world having an exciting life. It's always interesting to see where the cool kids end up.

see, what is the need to show off? your classmates did it when they were younger as they scorned you and yet you want to return the favor? how is that different? Cool kids, I never knew any cool kids, and from what i read here, I am glad I never did.
two_heads_talking

Postby Dehitay » Mon 11.27.2006 11:39 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
see, what is the need to show off? your classmates did it when they were younger as they scorned you and yet you want to return the favor? how is that different?

The same reason for which I do everything, amusement >=D
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby keatonatron » Mon 11.27.2006 11:46 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
see, what is the need to show off? your classmates did it when they were younger as they scorned you and yet you want to return the favor?

They didn't show off. They just acted like they were (and always would be) better, and now it's easy to see that that's not the case.

If I wanted to treat them the way they treated me, I would go to a class reunion and whenever someone wanted to talk to me I'd give them a terse reply with a "psssh, duh" and walk away. But that would be really stupid.

I wouldn't try to rub my successes in anyone's face, I'd simply present hem as fact and let them realize (or not) on their own.
keatonatron

Postby Kagemaru » Mon 11.27.2006 12:04 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
When the question of my attending reunions has come up, my thoughts have always been, "I couldn't stand most of you bastards when I went to school with you. Why would I make a special trip to see you again?"

I thought exactly along those lines until one year, my arm was twisted to attend the 10th reunion, as I had heard from a reliable source that the honey that made all the boys speechless with her beauty would be attending, plus a few of the guys I had never seen, let alone bumped into that were always good for a laugh.

So, my sunday best, half a pound of brill cream in my hair, marinated in cologne, I set off to court the enchantress.

Five minutes in, I discovered she had put on enough weight to qualify for a tag team wrestler, the once nerds were now playboys sporting women out of magazines, the cool kids still smoking cigarettes like they invented the art of ring blowing and the quiet kids now holding an audience and telling jokes like seasoned stand up comedians. The shock was like a punch in the face.

It is no revelation that people change, but it was definitely worth observing.
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 11.27.2006 12:21 pm

Dehitay wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:
see, what is the need to show off? your classmates did it when they were younger as they scorned you and yet you want to return the favor? how is that different?

The same reason for which I do everything, amusement >=D

that was actually directed at keatonatron.. who answered it very nicely. your amusment does not concern me.
two_heads_talking

Postby redfoxer » Mon 11.27.2006 1:00 pm

neo2407 wrote:
ashitaka wrote:
Oh I have an idea, buy two ice cream cones and then tell a girl "I have no one to share this ice cream with." Ahhhh....The joys of ice cream.

In all of human history, has that ever actually worked?

You know, that doesn't sound like too bad an idea! I'm actually now very intrigued to try this. I'll post back with my findings sometime soon :)
日本語はとても面白いと思いますよ!私は日本語が大好きです!
redfoxer

Postby burstandbloom » Sat 12.02.2006 7:58 pm

who really understands what love is?
i think it really differs from person to person, i take a completely different outlook on it.
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Postby keatonatron » Sat 12.02.2006 11:36 pm

I love lamp.
keatonatron

Postby burstandbloom » Sun 12.03.2006 5:35 pm

keatonatron wrote:
I love lamp.

you joined on my birthday.
relevance?
none.

but i remember when i saw tsu shi ma mi re in concert, they said 愛してるよ!!。
let me tell you, i felt loved. it was incredible.
Last edited by burstandbloom on Sun 12.03.2006 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan