Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - School-Age Racism

School-Age Racism

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

School-Age Racism

Postby Kisshu » Mon 11.20.2006 2:43 pm

Ok... my dad has been asking me this question for a while, and I finally decided to find the answer...

Lets say, me (an American) marries a Japanese guy and we have a few kids... when the time comes for us to send them to school, we pick a regular Japanese school. How bad would the discrimination/racism be for them?
Last edited by Kisshu on Mon 11.20.2006 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

RE: School-Age Racism

Postby keatonatron » Mon 11.20.2006 4:19 pm

That's your dad's question? Are you planning on marrying a Japanese guy and he's trying to thwart you? :p

I don't think they would face much descrimination at all. If you raise them in a Japanese environment, their minds will be Japanese even if they don't physically look Japanese, and they will most likely be accepted as one of the gang. Whenever I see mixed-race schoolchildren in Japan, the ones that were brought up in a Japanese home and speak (usually only) Japanese seem to get along just fine, with lots of friends, and they don't act like outcasts.

I think they would actually face more descrimination once they get older. I'm sure Oyaji could provide a better inside opnion though.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby paul_b » Mon 11.20.2006 4:23 pm

From my (hearsay) knowledge ignorance is a lot more prevalent than malice as far as discrimination in Japan goes. In any case it's a damn sight better than any three Western countries you'd care to pick out of a hat.
paul_b

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 11.20.2006 4:58 pm

You know we have quite a few families on this forum that have that same situation. Oyaji, Mike Cash, and a few others I may have missed. Maybe they can tell you if their children experience any racism at school..
two_heads_talking

Postby debu » Mon 11.20.2006 5:23 pm

I have a Japanese/Caucasian-American friend who hated going to school in Japan because he was picked on and people always assumed he was retarded... Of course, this has more to do with the fact that he started out in America, and so he was really far behind in his Japanese when his family moved there, but basically looked like a native Japanese child. I don't think he would have had trouble if he had been raised in Japan and was up to speed on the language. BTW, are Caucasian/Japanese people generally distinguishable from full Japanese people?
Last edited by debu on Mon 11.20.2006 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
debu

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 11.20.2006 5:41 pm

Debu, I would imagine there is no general answer to that question. it would depend on how many of which parents traits were picked up in the child..
two_heads_talking

Postby Schattenjedi » Mon 11.20.2006 6:33 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
Debu, I would imagine there is no general answer to that question. it would depend on how many of which parents traits were picked up in the child..

Spot on. There's the famous tale of that notorious guy Debito who went to an onsen with his two daughters. One of them was let in because they looked Japanese and the other was not allowed in because she looked white. (The children are both halfies and both have the same parents.)

ETA: He specifically looked for an onsen that wouldn't allow non-Japanese in. The guy goes looking for trouble in the name of activism.
Last edited by Schattenjedi on Mon 11.20.2006 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schattenjedi

Postby Sumi » Tue 11.21.2006 12:31 am

debu wrote:
BTW, are Caucasian/Japanese people generally distinguishable from full Japanese people?

No, I've seen some half Asians in general who look pure blooded Asian. It's basically the non-Caucasian/Japanese mixes that you would know for sure aren't 100% Japanese. Well, most of them.
Last edited by Sumi on Tue 11.21.2006 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
ねえ、あのう、弟さん、ここに遊んじゃだめだよ。あそこは酸があるんだよ。
Sumi

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 11.21.2006 4:44 am

Kisshu wrote:
Ok... my dad has been asking me this question for a while, and I finally decided to find the answer...

Lets say, me (an American) marries a Japanese guy and we have a few kids... when the time comes for us to send them to school, we pick a regular Japanese school. How bad would the discrimination/racism be for them?

It depends on several factors, but it is nowhere near the problem that is was even just a decade or so ago.

I have one 5th grader and one 7th grader and to the best of my knowledge they have experienced no insuperable problems stemming from discrimination or racism. Both my children were born and raised in Japan and are monolingual Japanese speakers, if that helps lend any perspective to it.
Mike Cash

Postby Dehitay » Tue 11.21.2006 11:09 am

Mike Cash wrote:
I have one 5th grader and one 7th grader and to the best of my knowledge they have experienced no insuperable problems stemming from discrimination or racism. Both my children were born and raised in Japan and are monolingual Japanese speakers, if that helps lend any perspective to it.

I don't mean to criticize or anything. But I would like to point out I have always wished my mom (full blooded Mexican) had forced me to learn Spanish as a child. I think it's a great idea to teach your children as many languages as you can while they're in the language learning phase of their childhood. However, I guess that takes some time and patience.

On a side note, can you guys see the Mexican in me? It's right there hiding behind the Irish and other European blood!
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 11.21.2006 11:44 am

The elementary schools I taught in in Japan had a number of students who were of Indian and Pakistani descent, and I never noticed them being treated any differently from the other students. They were native Japanese speakers and had lived in Japan their whole lives, so it wasn't as if there were cultural or language barriers there, it was just in the way they looked.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Sumi » Tue 11.21.2006 12:31 pm

Dehitay wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:

I don't mean to criticize or anything. But I would like to point out I have always wished my mom (full blooded Mexican) had forced me to learn Spanish as a child. I think it's a great idea to teach your children as many languages as you can while they're in the language learning phase of their childhood. However, I guess that takes some time and patience.

On a side note, can you guys see the Mexican in me? It's right there hiding behind the Irish and other European blood!

I've always noticed that half Mexican or South American children don't look it. Like my friend, Alex. She's half Bolivian half White and I didn't know until I saw a picture of her mother. I was shocked nonetheless.
Sumi

Postby Mr Hensha » Tue 11.21.2006 1:44 pm

Wouldn't that be funny if she met a Japanese guy and their baby was black or something?
AAWEEEAA!! この世界は私達の世界〜SOHL
ミヤビです!
Mr Hensha

Postby datdo » Tue 11.21.2006 1:52 pm

whats funny about being black?
datdo

Postby Sumi » Tue 11.21.2006 1:54 pm

Mr Hensha wrote:
Wouldn't that be funny if she met a Japanese guy and their baby was black or something?

What?
Sumi

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan